Michael Schenker - Thoughts

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mike Campbell, Dec 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Michael Schenker's is one of my all time favorite guitars (of any genre) and my favorite hard rock guitarist. As others have mentioned, he's got IT - the killer tone, impeccable phrasing and melodic inventiveness. I loved his work with UFO and the early MSG. His vicious solo on "Armed and Ready" is the aural equivalent of sharks in a feeding frenzy.

Despite the gawd-awful hideous cover and less than stellar sound, this is a killer collection of Schenker's instrumentals over the past couple of decades.

[​IMG]

squittolo and danielbravo like this.
  2. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

An Outstanding Guitarist !

Basically all his discography with U.F.O and then with M.S.G until "Built To Destroy" is essential for me. I have each of those albums (including the live albums)

One Night At Budokan is one of my favorite live album.

But I do not have any of the "Thank You".

DJ LX likes this.
  3. danielbravo

[​IMG]

After "Built To Destroy" this is the last one I added to my collection and the reunion album with Gary Barden "In the Midst of Beauty"

squittolo, unclefred and slipkid like this.
  4. danielbravo

In my teens Schenker was one of my favorites, especially since U.F.O was one of the first bands I collected. Then it changed a little my appreciation because I started to listen to other things. But still in my top ten ...He has a unique style, at the time with "U.F.O" and then with the first years of "M.S.G" there was no one to match him, no one!

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  5. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

That's not one I've heard of - do you know if it has anything off "The Odd Trio"? IIRC that was my favorite of his instrumental albums but is a very limited release (which I think I only heard after borrowing it from a friend).

6. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I love him in UFO and MSG. One of my favorites of all time.

7. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Below is the track list for Instrumental Intensity. Unfortunately, the liner notes don't indicate what albums the tracks came from.
    1. Achtung Fertig, Los!
    2. Old Man With Sheep On Mars
    3. Three Fish Dancing
    4. A
    5. N
    6. D
    7. Bijou Pleasurette/Positive Forward
    8. Captain Nemo
    9. Essence
    10. I Am Grateful
    11. The Creator
    12. Bonus Track

8. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Love the guy, first time seeing him was Built to Destroy tour. Took my kids to see him a couple times as well.

danielbravo likes this.
  9. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Thx. No Odd Trio tracks.

I wish he would re-release that album. IIRC it was only sold at gigs and is way out of print now. People asking stupid $ for it on Amazon. Hmmm....I think the friend of mine that had that also had a couple other sold only at gigs-type albums, and this friend is now totally anti-Schenker after something that happened at a gig (I was just telling him how he needs to check out the Schenkerfest release, that I would even loan him my DVD, think he would like since he is a big Graham Bonnet fan, but he said that Michael will never ever ever get a thing from him, including his time). So maybe he would part with some of this stuff, since he hates him so much now....hmmmm.....I gotta ask....

10. Crush Everything

Crush Everything Fictional Antagonist

As far as I know, it was a custom Ovation.

11. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Perfect Timing is a great rock album. Not only are the songs really good, the mastering is excellent. Check it out.

johnny q likes this.
  12. gpalz

gpalz Forum Resident

For me his peak was 1980 - 1983. Over the years I'd pick up a release or two to see what he was up to. Of those I've only kept MC2000 and Trio, but haven't listened to those in years. My go to are MSG and Assault Attack. The latter being the 2009 remaster after discovering "The Girl From Uptown" track a few years ago. A gem.
    It was the B side to "Dancer".

danielbravo and vamborules like this.
  13. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Yeah I listened to Assault Attack today after hearing the sad news of Ted McKenna's death. Great album.

squittolo likes this.
  14. This riff eventually became the magnificent "Back To Life" from his 1996 album "Written In the Sand."

15. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

For starters. Then boiled in oil, and tarred and feathered.
    Seriously, if you have any chance, go for it! Just saw the first go-round of his Michael Schenker Fest last year, WOW it was GREAT!! My brother, who knew nothing about the man nor the music nor the rest of the players came away raving. Kept repeating the phrase "top of their game." Now
    - You'd have to drive like to Milwaukee. DO IT. Seriously, you will not regret it.
    -Double check dates/cancellation, because drummer Ted McKenna died in surgery this morning. No, I am not kidding :cry::(

slipkid likes this.
  16. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

IIRC, the first was when his website had a very heartfelt paragraph from Michael saying the he had been ripped off throughout his career, and was putting this out as a thank you for loyalty and (unstated) to try and survive financially. Later on That Metal Show he talked about that first tour, staying at fans' houses and such, having a lot of great experiences. "And when I came home, Eddie, I was rich! All along they had been stealing the money!" (paraphrased) :)

17. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

Love his playing in UFO. Didn't like anything else by him because i didn't think the songs were up to scratch. Also i love all the Schenkerisms in his playing, however i do get a little bored with some of his solos post-UFO, never seemed to progress as a player and rested too much on his laurels, imo.

18. Ignominious

Ignominious Knock and Know All!

I was there with my brother - such a sad night to see the onstage meltdown of one of my favourite bands and Michael in particular. It went from bad to worse as the show progressed.

I last caught Michael supporting Black Country Communion in Leeds a few years ago and it was wonderful to see him back on form, happy and collected! BCC were awesome too.

He is still a wonderful guitarist and it's well worth seeing the Amazon Prime performance as others have mentioned - it's quality.

Crimson Witch and slipkid like this.
  19. Scratcha

Scratcha Forum Resident

He is definitely one of The Greats!
    He is sort of a Pioneer with his "phrasing" and approach in his guitar solos.
    Definitely an inspiration to a lot of guitarists in the 80's and 90's.
    I noticed; these days, I don't hear very many guitar solos; or any that standout.
    Some of the new Blues guitarists are still
    pouring it.

20. Claus

Claus Senior Member

He was a great guitarist in the 80's. I lost the interest after MSG's 2nd album. His problem.... he can't write songs. His solo albums are fillers.

21. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I remember those years when he was struggling, staying in houses while touring, cancelling shows. When he switched to the Dean V. But his playing has remained stellar and iconic. Love his shows on disc.

danielbravo likes this.
  22. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Ah man, bummer. I was hoping to see/meet Ted at an upcoming Rory Gallagher Friends tribute thing.

R.I.P.

danielbravo likes this.
  23. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Schenker is my favorite living guitarist. But I agree about the songwriting. He can come up with some cool riffs but needs a vocalist/songwriter to work off of those to come up with the melody lines/hooks that make a good song. I keep buying all his albums but I dislike about 90% of the songs on them. Seeing him live is another story though, he's fantastic and amazing.

rubberhead likes this.
  24. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

I saw him last year with his Michael Schenker Fest.
    Dude played almost 3 hours straight & covered all phases of his career with 4 singers & much of his classic band.
    Phenomenal & energetic performance!

slipkid and unclefred like this.
  25. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

[​IMG]

re-visited this today. (the video actually, but the less said about how they look on this, the better :) )

great album imo, but obviously released at the wrong time. Great playing, and great singing. The japanese version has "only you can rock me" as a bonus track (a highlight!)

For what it's worth, here's the laser disc that came out in Japan
    [​IMG]

danielbravo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.