Michael Schenker vinyl reissues 2017/2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by metalrules, Jan 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metalrules

metalrules Forum Resident Thread Starter

Recently noticed these popping up at Music Direct and other online retailers. Anyone seen or heard them?
    The Michael Schenker Group Album Reissues - Blue Raincoat Music
    Interesting and related:
    Chrysalis Records To Be Re-Born After Acquisition

2. Gary Edward Link

Gary Edward Link Forum Resident

I have not. Interested though. Does anyone know if these have been redone. Michael's second album MSG done by Roger Glover is a sonic mess and screams for a remix. If not I have my originals on lp.

Doggiedogma and metalrules like this.
  3. metalrules

Agreed. That second album has issues, although I'm not sure it's all in the mix. Judging by what little they do say in the minimal blurb, I'm guessing no remixes.

This sounds promising:
    I have pretty nice originals of the first three, but I'm down to check out a new mastering if these are good - especially MSG and Built to Destroy. The Chris Bellman cut of the original kicks ass, and my early UK and US pressings of Assault Attack both have excellent sound.

4. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

When did the Chris Bellman version come out? I missed it somehow.

5. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Wonder if he will be selling these at the Michael Schenker Fest shows in March.

6. metalrules

Back in 1980 :) At least that's what I have assumed the "CB" in the deadwax of the Zentz master was. I don't think they're too difficult to find in decent shape, and fairly inexpensive.

Sorry, I meant to say "Chris Bellman cut of the debut".

Spitfire likes this.
  7. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Ahh, so somebody else is on the ball here.
    I noticed that tour hitting the US this spring as well.
    Doing a bit of looking around, that Schenker Fest DVD from Japan shows all 3 MSG vocalists (including Graham Bonnet) to be in fine form.

Looking to maybe catch the Philly show.

8. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Yeah, I will be going here in NYC. Speaking of Graham Bonnet, I just saw his band perform on Tuesday, and they put on a hell of a show. Lots of Rainbow, MSG and Alcatrazz songs, plus a couple new tunes. Highly recommend.

9. The MSG album was done by Ron Nevison in Montserrat. The Roger Glover album was simply titled Michael Schenker Group, came first, and sounds fantastic.

10. Gary Edward Link

I have to get all over this!

11. Gary Edward Link

Dang...missed Bonnet. Schenker at Irving Plaza in March.

johnny q and tkl7 like this.
  12. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

What does the vinyl sound like?

John Bliss likes this.
  13. metalrules

Haven't seen or heard any reviews yet. I may try to pick one or two up this weekend if I see them at a local store.

Tullman likes this.
  14. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

I'm a Graham Bonnet fan, so I'm hoping to get the newest Assault Attack reissue at some point. It's out now, correct? I've seen conflicting information.

15. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

Are these already sold out? Web site reads "project is closed".

John Bliss likes this.
  16. metalrules

I purchased MSG and Built to Destroy at a local store this week, and although it was not at the store I've seen Assault Attack at multiple online retailers, so I think so, yes.
    If you're talking about the PledgeMusic site, I think that was just for preorders and limited picture discs.

John Bliss likes this.
  17. metalrules

Finally got a chance to listen to the 2017 MSG today. Nice thick, flat, centered vinyl. Pretty clean, but some minor noise on side 2, probably from the unlined printed inner sleeve.

I know next to nothing about this stuff, but from the inner:
    "This new cut has been transferred using a Studer A80 Tape Machine, cut on a Neumann VMS 80 with a sx74 Cutter Head, Cutting Amps, SAL 748 (Modified)"

Deadwax:
    CRV 1056-A1 Alchemy (hand etched)
    CRV 1056-B1

I like it. Definitely different than the original. More bass! More thump. More kick. The more rockin' songs benefit for sure: Attack of the Mad Axeman, Let Sleeping Dogs Lie, But I Want More. Some of the quiet passages sounded really nice too. Other songs were only different to my ears, not necessarily better. Actually, when I first put it on, Are You Ready to Rock sounded a little strange, but I got used to it - maybe a bit of echo? Don't think it fully fixes the sound of this album, but I'll definitely continue to listen to this version.

Davidmk5, Spitfire and johnny q like this.
  18. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I just ordered Assault Attack from Amazon U.S. I will report once I get it and listen. I honestly don't know why I bit - originals are available in good condition for not much money! It is though, the only MSG I don't have on vinyl

I think this whole blurb hooked me:

""This new cut has been transferred using a Studer A80 Tape Machine, cut on a Neumann VMS 80 with a sx74 Cutter Head, Cutting Amps, SAL 748 (Modified)"

Davidmk5, John Bliss and metalrules like this.
  19. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I picked up the self-titled reissue last night and gave it a listen today. I have to say I was never a fan of Roger Glover's production of this album, and the original Chrysalis pressing wasn't anything to rave about. I also have the BGO twofer CD, and its as mid-rangey and anemic as the original vinyl. Michael's music deserves better, and I was hopeful when I left Zia Records with Michael Schenker Group under my arm.

Well, I'm glad to report that this new pressing is a winner in my book. It betters both the original vinyl and the BGO CD in all aspects. First, the 180 gram pressing itself is flat as a board, and only some slight intermittent groove noise keeps it from being perfect. No non-fill at all, and no pops/clicks either. Nice!

Second, the mastering has added some much needed meat on the bones. The low frequencies have been given a tasteful boost which results in a reduction in the midrange-heavy sonics of the original. In other words, a better balance has been achieved, and there is more heft/warmth to the presentation.

Like metalrules stated above, the inner sleeve for the self-titled reissue also had the statement: "This new cut has been transferred using a Studer A80 Tape Machine, cut on a Neumann VMS 80 with a sx74 Cutter Head, Cutting Amps, SAL 748 (Modified)". Indeed, whatever they were using to bring this old gem back to life on vinyl, the results are positive. Thumbs up here.

Now I need to go back to the store and grab the sophomore release (M.S.G.) before it disappears. (I've never heard the third and fourth albums.)

20. metalrules

Some seriously heavy MSG to be heard on Assault Attack. I'd have a hard time choosing between it and the debut. Highly recommended, unless you have something against Graham Bonnet.
    I actually love the original Chrysalis (Allen Zentz / CB in deadwax). Sounds phenomenal to me. Could just be I'm used to it since I've heard it so many times.

21. metalrules

Listened to the new Built to Destroy today. It has the same blurb on the inner:
    "This new cut has been transferred using a Studer A80 Tape Machine, cut on a Neumann VMS 80 with a sx74 Cutter Head, Cutting Amps, SAL 748 (Modified)"

Deadwax:
    CRV 1058-A1 Alchemy (hand etched)
    CRV 1058-B1

I am not as familiar with this album, but the new remaster sounds much better than any CD or LP I've heard. Similar to MSG, it has more weight on the low end and a heaviness that I always wished these albums had. The vinyl looks and feels great, but it's pretty noisy for a brand new record. Stupid printed paper inner sleeves! Still, not bad enough to return. Got better after a second cleaning and second play through.

Side note: I am really liking the MSG remaster after further listening. More power and heft, better detail. Quite an improvement, maybe the best it can get without a complete remix.

Davidmk5 and DPM like this.
  22. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Assault Attack just arrived and it is up next!

I know exactly what is going to happen. I told myself I would only purchase the one MSG release I don't have on vinyl. I bet after I listen I will go back an buy them all! The reviews have been pretty darn positive thus far.

metalrules likes this.
  23. metalrules

Haha, curious to know what you think. I have nice original copies of the debut and Assault Attack, but that doesn't mean I'm not above buying the new ones too, especially after reading DPM's review of the first one!

24. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

It sounds really nice. I only have a CD of Assault Attack to compare to ( I think its one of those two-fers?) and this new LP smokes that. The overall sound is very natural sounding, very nice indeed. I am pretty sure I will now buy the others:) Even though I really don't need them.

Davidmk5 and metalrules like this.
  25. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Well....as I suspected. I liked Assault Attack so much, I bought the others in this reissue campaign! I wish they would continue with the rest of the catalog - including McAuley Schenker and the MSG live albums.

Davidmk5, John Bliss and metalrules like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.