Michael Todd's AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS DVD is damn good

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

They tried real hard and it shows. The picture quality is really nice and it's a pleasure to watch in the correct aspect ratio for once on a video monitor. I recommend it; but it should be viewed on the biggest possible screen for maximum impact. At the Los Angeles premiere at the Carthy Circle Theatre the screen was gigantic and that's really the way this film was meant to be seen. However, since they tore down the darn theatre this is really all there is.

Enjoy! Victor Young's music deservedly won the Oscar, but too late to do him any good since he dropped dead some months before, supposedly after Michael Todd's hounding phone calls to rewrite the music after the first preview!

2. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

This is one of those widescreen films I wish I'd seen in a theater; just never happened.

I think the score is wonderful, too; nicely done, Young was one of the greats(SHANE remains my fave). The rest of the film I'm more ambivalent about, since the ceaseless cameos by famous names is charming at first, and then, on repeated viewings, begins to seem the gimmick it really was...granted, the film has its charms, and Shirley MacLaine is luscious!....but imagine it without the suave David Niven, and...well, not much going on, after all. But nicely done, a good popcorn film for a rainy afternoon....

:ed:

3. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I was debating on getting this one or not. Guess I will! This is one of those "movies I saw when I was a little kid".

4. Steve D.

Steve D. Forum Resident

I thought I read somewhere that David Niven was cast as Phileas Fogg after Cary Grant turned down the role.

5. AudioGirl

AudioGirl Forum Resident

I do not think Cary Grant would have been "severe" enough in that role. He was also offered the role of Professor Harold Hill in the movie version of the Music Man. That would have been interesting.

6. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Steve, I'm glad you enjoyed the DVD. I think Warner Brothers deserves a big thumbs up for putting this together....

7. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

TCM showed this one night a couple of weeks ago, as part of a retrospective honoring Saul Bass (who designed the closing credits). It was the first time I'd seen it in years, and I thought it held up rather well; I'd be interested to see it in restored form.

I wonder if there's any truth to the whispers that a special CGI "improvement" was made so that during the SF saloon scene, when the piano player turns to face the camera, it's not Sinatra but a certain bearded gent who's familiar to all of us. :D

8. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

Oh... I thought we were talking about Jackie Chan's movie... I was absolutely surprised to hear good comments about it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.