Michell Gyrodec Clamp Tweak....

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by blakep, May 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blakep

blakep Senior Member Thread Starter

Credit for this really goes to Werner Ogiers, a former Michell employee whose Angelfire site is a great source of info on Gyro setup, history, etc.

From his website:

Damp the clamp

"The standard metal Gyro clamp, and to a lesser extent the delrin Orbe clamp, ring a bit when excited. Using thin sound-deadening bituminous pads for cars, e.g. from 3M, make a circular piece with a hole in the middle and stick it to the clamp's flat underside."

I've only owned my Gyro since 1985 and had some automotive sound deadening material (which I had used to damp the casing on a number of DVD/blu-ray players over the years) in the basement for the past 10 years or so, but decided to try this out last week. FWIW, I do own and use the newer Delrin clamp.

I picked up the sound deadener years ago as mentioned at an automotive supply parts store and it appears to be a butyl rubber product or something similar with an adhesive on one side, essentially a peel and stick. About 1 mm in depth and came in sheets approx 12" x 12". Cheap: maybe $5 a sheet or so if I remember correctly. So we are talking about a cheap, totally reversible tweak here.

Traced and cut out an appropriate sized piece along with cutting out a central section so the clamp is operational, attached it.

Definitely a worthwhile proposition IMO. Audible improvements in terms of hearing more into the performance and a more natural, "de-hardened" sound quality improving dynamics. It is a no brainer to try out.

This, along with going back to running my Gyro with 2 belts (which I probably haven't done for 25-30 years/note that my Gyro has the original AC motor and pulley set up for 2 belt operation on both 33 and 45) have made an excellent table even better with virtually no financial outlay.

Highly recommended.

Andy Saunders and Doc Diego like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.