Mick Taylor - post Stones

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by godstar, Jul 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I disagree that they are all really bad. Just because they do not sound like the Stones does not mean they are really bad.

2. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

It's on the live Too Hot For Snakes album with Carla Olson.

3. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I think at heart Mick Taylor is more of a blues/jazz guy than a rock guy and he played rock while in the Stones but would rather be playing more blues or jazz influenced material. People might not like his solo or session material because he doesn't play as much straight rock material.

tkl7 likes this.
  4. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Anyone else think that Taylor's vocals sound exactly like Keith Richards (or Ron Wood for that matter)?

5. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

I've seen Mick Taylor at some small clubs around Philadelphia in the 80's & 90's and his playing was most always masterful. His solo recorded output is pretty thin IMHO. The Mick Taylor album had some very good moments but after that he never seemed to follow it up with any consistency. Stranger In This Town is a mostly live album with a killer I Wonder Why. Carla Olsen & Mick Taylor Live has a great version of Sway. A Stones Throw has some fine moments especially Blues In The Morning. Shadowman has some good songs with an extra disc of live tracks.
    His work with Dylan is top notch stuff. I think when he quit the Stones he thought that the group with Jack Bruce was really going to take off but it only amounted to a whimper. I always felt that Mick could of become bigger in his post Stones career then he actually did produce. That doesn't take away from the fact that he is a brilliant guitarist.

catman and rstamberg like this.
  6. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

He also appeared on Ronnie Wood's early solo albums.

rstamberg likes this.
  7. Yannick

Yannick Forum Resident

A few years back when guitarist Bob Weston (formerly of Fleetwood Mac) died, it was revealed here Bob Weston » that he was scheduled to record with Mick Taylor but didn't show up because he had already left this world (RIP).

May that have been recording sessions for another Mick Taylor solo album? If so, here's hoping Taylor has made progress with it and it comes out rather sooner than later.

rstamberg likes this.
  8. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

Spirit: The BBC Sessions by Jack Bruce has a better gig than Live at Manchester, though Live at Manchester is very good.

rstamberg likes this.
  9. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I don't know how well known The Only Ones - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia » are in the US, if nothing else some probably know them for "Another Girl, Another Planet", as covered by Replacements, The Cure and more bands.
    Anyway, legendary/mythic leader and songwriter Peter Perrett is a good friend of Mick Taylor, and the two tried to collaborate in the early 80s; this is from Peter's autobiography.
    "Mick Taylor came around a couple of times. We'd known him since '75, so we'd go up to the top of the house where I had a music room and play for five or ten minutes and then I'd say: "Shall we have a smoke?" I was never in a state to do anything constructive. I was more interested in getting stoned, and as he had that same weakness, we did nothing."

It wasn't cigarettes or pot they were smoking. Sad, as that could have been really great. Mick later did an album with Peter's 90s keyboard player, Miyuki, Mick And I. It's probably one of his less known recordings.

rstamberg and crozcat like this.
  10. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I'd agree with your assessment and I share your sentiments.

It's a shame and probably not his fault, but MT should have achieved much more post-Stones. The problem may have been that he is basically a blues/rock and roll player and shortly after his departure from the Stones that kind of music became very unfashionable. He was also a natural sideman, with negligible frontman skills; he seems definitely to have needed a foil to bring out the best in him. No idea how much his post-Stones drug problems contributed to things.

Jonboy likes this.
  11. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Mick Taylor lost his record contract after his first solo album. The eighties were not good times for guitar players from the sixties and seventies. Players like Rory Gallagher and Harvey Mandel were experiencing the same problem.

12. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

That's one of the songs I had in mind when I mentioned that Taylor tried to sound like the Stones on that album.

13. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

I agree, John. I was a teen when I first came across his first solo record in the 80s at a record store. I was hoping it was all instrumental and I even asked the owner of the store this question and his reply was, "Who wants to hear Mick Taylor sing?" implying it was all instrumentals. Obviously he never heard the album.

14. zelox

zelox Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be doing my God given duty if I didn't add this savory chip:

John Fell likes this.
  15. SGR

SGR Forum Resident

The Mick Taylor album is very good. I was disappointed that he didn't make more albums like that one and that he had such a low profile after that. But he is still an excellent guitarist and if the Stones are doing an album of blues covers, they should invite him to participate.

DTK, slipkid, rstamberg and 1 other person like this.
  16. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

As a Deadhead I would be remiss in not sharing this great solo.

17. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

18. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

IMO Mick Taylor is one of the better Stones solo albums. He plays most of the instruments except for the drums himself:righton:. But if yer expecting it to sound Stonesy, it doesn't, really. I don't think he's a bad songwriter; "Leather Jacket" and "SW5" in particular are pretty decent efforts. I'm guessing Columbia thought he had the potential of somebody like an Eric Clapton or Jeff Beck as a recording artist and when it didn't pan out that way they dropped Taylor like a hot potato. Outside of his debut I've always been partial to MT's work with Dylan, even if he was a bit underwhelming on Real Live.
    IMO, and no offense to Keith or Woody, but Taylor is a better singer than either of them...something that surprised the hell out of me the first time I heard his solo debut. I was expecting a similar Keith/Woody style eighty-ciggies-a-day kinda croak...
    Indeed- I love his bass playing on "Shirley" (similar to his playing on "Fingerprint File") and his slide work on "It's Unholy".

slipkid and rstamberg like this.
  19. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

That is actually a pretty good album but Mick Taylor only appears on about half of the tracks. A version of Wake Up Call that Taylor also played on with John Mayall is included as well as version of Bob Dylan's Blind Willie McTell.

20. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

And, that track is a composite edit of two different performances.

bobcat likes this.
  21. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Saw that MT sit in with the GD and found him to be one of the special guests that added the least that night. Not that any of them were real awesome, but at least the others brought so.ething unique. His lead work was decent but less compelling than Garcia's - more blues licks than cresting melodies - so over all detracted from the show.

22. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I agree with this. I saw him solo about a year before the Stones reunion and he was excellent. At the time, it seemed to me that what he really wanted to do was to be more of a jazz player.

John Fell likes this.
  23. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I didn't say anything like that.
    It appears TOO HOT FOR SNAKES has its moments, which I'd forgotten about. But still.

24. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

On that song he does, but generally (non-singers) they have kind of generic voices, the guitars do the rest...
    (Got a nice wlp of this album, some really nice playing there)

25. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Sounds like we were breathing some of the same air back then, I saw him at a couple gigs at the Chestnut Cabaret IIRC.

This shot is from July of 1982, when he was part of John Mayall's band (John McVie was on bass btw):

[​IMG]

Here's a couple photos I took of the Chestnut June 6th 1987. He had his own band for this one, but think it was a double bill with Mayall also playing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT: Something has changed either with IMGUR (image hosting site) or this forum and at first I could not post these photos in, had to find a new way to do it, finally worked (instead of using the links with IMG tags like I always used to this time I simply used my browser's "copy image" function and then pasted in each one)....I think this way worked (?)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
    John Fell, goodboyfred and Culpa like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.