Mick Taylor vs. Ronnie Wood

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Uly Gynns, Feb 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uly Gynns

Uly Gynns Forum Resident Thread Starter

Who do you prefer as a guitarist and a Rolling Stone and why?

2. SteveS1

SteveS1 Forum Resident

Taylor as guitarist, best Stones period imo. Ronnie as one of the Faces. :)

3. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Ron Wood. Mick Taylor is a great lead player. But that's the last thing I want to hear with the Rolling Stones. I want to hear a seamless guitar sound in which it's hard to tell who's playing what. They had that throughout their career apart from the Taylor years.

Though they certainly wrote and recorded some fine songs on the 4 albums with Taylor.

Hermes, davers, stef1205 and 9 others like this.
  4. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Mick definitely has the weight advantage but Ronnie is very wiry. The longer the bout goes, though, the more Ronnie's cardio will come into play. I can't see Mick lasting into the later rounds. Ronnie by TKO in the 8th.

Hermes, broccolid, mds and 11 others like this.
  5. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

What is with all of your trolling threads? Hasn't this topic been discussed to death in every Rolling Stones thread ever?

razerx, John Grimes, HAmmer and 13 others like this.
  6. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Honestly I listen to Tattoo You and Some Girls more than the Mick Taylor stuff. Not saying Ronnie is
    a better guitarist though, so not gonna vote. Listen to the Brian Jones era the most.

7. Jonboy

Jonboy Forum Resident

I prefer Mick as a guitarist, but Ronnie as a Stone. He fits in better with their image, sound and general vibe IMHO.

8. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

I like Mick's playing better, but Ronnie has shown he has what it takes to stick around.

9. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Ronnie, for me.

Licorice pizza likes this.
  10. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

Finally, a fresh topic.

Hot Ptah, HAmmer, edised and 16 others like this.
  11. B_big!

B_big! Vinyl Record Enthusiast

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( .[​IMG]

No doubt about my choice, it's RW what the Stones needed. (Of course I like the 'Sticky Fingers' album, especially 'Can't You Hear Me Knocking', containing the technically best "Stones" guitar solo recorded ever! But that's not "THE STONES"!)

Jonboy and Rfreeman like this.
  12. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

astute analysis. i would tend to agree. the only thing i wonder about is that you may be overestimating Ronnie's cardio capacity. also Mick could land a haymaker in one of the early rounds.

13. gingerly

gingerly Change Returns Success

Ron Wood has always oozed cool. His first band were just excellent.

14. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Ron has the stones "look," but boy oh boy, Mick can PLAY the varnish off a guitar. All you have to do is listen to "Can't you hear me Knocking."

15. Paper Wizard

Paper Wizard Forum Resident

Mick Taylor

16. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Mick Taylor is the better guitar player, Ronnie the better Rolling Stone.

17. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Brian Jones is my favorite Stones music period.

As to this thread, as said above - Mick Taylor better for the Stones. Ronnie Wood better for the Faces, Birds etc.

18. Moonbeam Skies

Moonbeam Skies Forum Resident

Mick Taylor. Ron Wood was at his best as bass player with the short lived Jeff Beck Group.

19. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

Mick Taylor was a great bluesy lead guitarist, but pretty much a one-trick pony. Woody is a great all-around guitarist who knows how to let his playing serve the song. The Stones may have recorded some great music while Taylor was in the band, but I'll take Woody any day.

20. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

With Woody's solos, one tends to hold ones breath, waiting for his mistakes. When you see/hear that he is climbing too high, you get worried for him.
    Taylor was a terrific soloist so he gets my vote.
    Woody of course had (has?) that nice rhythmic interplay with Keith going on.

John Fell and GodShifter like this.
  21. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I am a big Mick Taylor fan, and think his contribution to the Stones bailed them out big time, and that his period in the Stones is a high point of the rock era. I have his solo album, and it is great, and I think they dude has a very inventive guitar style and sound.
    BUT... Ron Wood blows him away as an all around musician, and as a guitarist.
    Ron Wood also came up with some of the most memorable and creative guitar licks ever done. His work with the Faces alone, if he had done nothing else, puts him up there with the greats. The guy can play anything with strings on it. I bet he can play a cheese cutter even.
    Something else is, once you figure out Mick Taylors style while in the Stones his guitar work isn't that hard to copy. Ron Wood tends to not repeat himself as much in the Stones and does some leads that are pretty clever and that you have to work at if you want to copy them note for note.

22. Lil' Brian

Lil' Brian Forum Resident

Ronnie can play Brian Jones, and play Mick Taylor, and still be Ron Wood. That kind of diversity gets my vote.

23. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Taylor's got weight on Woody but I think Ron could take him in Round Six.

Licorice pizza likes this.
  24. Uly Gynns

Uly Gynns Forum Resident Thread Starter

The songs composed for The Stones by Taylor had some pretty good licks and there's a lot of unreleased stuff penned solely by him the riffs of which were on par with Keith's:

The playing here is all Mick

sami, Purple Jim and John Fell like this.
  25. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

Currently at 75% Taylor, I'm surprised it's that close.

Tullman and John Fell like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.