Mick Taylor vs. Ronnie Wood

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Uly Gynns, Feb 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

If you look at their set lists, the majority of the songs usually come from the Jones and Taylor years.

Emmett66, Zeki, old school and 2 others like this.
  2. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Accept no substitutes.

Dave Hoos and zelox like this.
  3. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

And, anyone in his right mind would leave a band after that. No matter how well it paid. A mans dignity has a value.

zelox and John Fell like this.
  4. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

No. Mick Taylor is NOT the Stones. He was a hired gun in the band for a short period of time.
    If you want to use your logic that the Stones is one guy, then it would be the true genius behind inventing the Stones and giving them a sound, Brian Jones. He formed the band, he named it, and it is his musicianship that got them off the ground.

bonus, Zeki and old school like this.
  5. zelox

zelox Well-Known Member

That's just what he did. So we agree on at least one thing regarding Mick Taylor. Phew.

Loosen up, that's called hyperbole. You should have seen that in the context of how it was written. :sigh: hello

But nothing more than a hired gun? Yea right. 24 karat gold plated then, with nothing but platinum to show. :p :cool:

Brian Jones was good too. No worries there. It's Mick & Keith we're picking most our bones with.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
    sami, old school and Dave Hoos like this.
  6. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

Not everyone who has played in bands gets what you're saying. Jumping around on stage is not going to make the band sound better. You say it will raise the level of excitement. It's just as likely to raise the level of annoyance from bandmates. Especially if chords are missed, notes are fluffed. Some of us, who have played in bands, are only interested in how the music sounds. How it looks is mostly irrelevant. Mr. Fell's sage example of The Allman Brothers glorious At Fillmore East album is a perfect example. There's no posing going on there, just a great band playing their collective butts off!

So, plenty of us who have played in bands, do view things in terms of notes played and chords played and how the whole thing sounds. That's the whole point, surely, to get to a level where the music both sounds and feels great. If it also looks good...well that's great too...but it's not what really matters.

Substance and quality every time.

Taylor over Wood every time.

sami, zelox, Hardy Melville and 3 others like this.
  7. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

I agree with what you're saying, I've been in bands with guys who jump around and its generally a big pain in the ass, they knock stuff over, cause equipment problems, all sorts of insanity... when really, they would better serve the band by playing as best they can, and not disrupt the rest of us.

However. I know Taylor is hands down the better guitar player than Wood, there really isnt much question about that. BUT. Wood plays pedal steel.

And I'd much rather have a guy in my band who could play good lead AND pedal steel, than just great lead.

Just my opinion.

bonus likes this.
  8. Dave Hoos

Ronnie's pedal steel playing is excellent, but how many songs will it be used on? Unless you're a country band, it's probably only used a couple of times. I'd rather have Mick's superior lead and slide playing over Ronnie's lead and pedal steel. I know that Ronnie plays slide too, but he doesn't play it at the level that Mick does. Or Brian, for that matter.

sami, zelox and John Fell like this.
  9. duggan

duggan Senior Member

It is sometimes useful to put debates into context.

Part of the background context to this debate is that we are talking about musical ability and performance in relation to the Rolling Stones. On a purely musical basis the Stones have arguably never been particularily good musicians. Their allure, skill and success largely derives from the blues, rock and roll, pop songwriting and as entertainers.

Tonight I'm going to see a classical music concert and will see superb technical musicianship. How would Mick Taylor rate as a musician against those people? Possibly not that well. But of course that is not and should not be the point. It is as irrelevant as much of the content in this thread.

10. Wombat Reynolds

I play in a hard rock band, and I play straight up lead guitar in half the songs, and the other half, I play steel, sometimes with a hard rock sound right from my Marshall, and let the other guitar player do the bulk of the guitar playing. You're limiting pedal steel to just one sound, and, it doesnt have to work that way.

I'm not gonna argue this anymore. I gave my opinion, we both play in bands, and we're not going to agree, so, there it is.

Zeki and Dave Hoos like this.
  11. Jonboy

Jonboy Forum Resident

I'm certainly not the first person to express this opinion, but I think it bears repeating - it seems to me that Jagger especially, and possibly to a lesser extent Richards, were badly affected by being so royally screwed over by Allen Klein, and probably by many others in a less well-publicised way.

It seems likely to me that they just decided to shut up shop and adopt a siege mentality - everybody wants a piece of us and we're not going to stand for it any more. While this doesn't excuse their treatment of Mick Taylor, it might go some way towards explaining it.

zelox and Swedgen like this.
  12. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Ronnie was originally a hired gun as well so they could tour in 1975 and he was still in the Faces. He was not made official partner until Bill left.

Zeki likes this.
  13. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Mick Taylor the great.

How do you replace the multi-talented, irreplaceable Brian Jones? Bring in one of the best guitar players of the era in Mick Taylor! Ron Wood isn't even in the conversation, IMO.

zelox, Dave Hoos and old school like this.
  14. Dave Hoos

That's cool. I suppose what I was really saying was that I prefer Mick and his slide (and lead) over Ronnie and his steel (and lead/slide). I shouldn't have pigeonholed steel into country music only.

I need a coffee.

15. Dave Hoos

How would the other Stones rate against those people? Probably even less than Taylor!

16. old school

old school Senior Member

Jimi Hendrix is one of a handful to pull of stage charisma at it's highest level. But even Jimi became detested to it! Look at Jimi Hendrix in Band of Gypsis Jimi just stands and plays his butt off.

17. Wombat Reynolds

and then theres the famous Al Kooper story; he gets twenty bucks from Jagger for playing keyboards on some famous Stones song. That might go some way towards suggesting Jagger is a tight-fisted cheapskate.

But I might be wrong.

I often am.

zelox and Dave Hoos like this.
  18. Jonboy

Jonboy Forum Resident

And the one where Jagger pockets the tip he was supposed to leave in a fancy restaurant!

zelox likes this.
  19. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

I don't care about the interplay, the "weaving" thing, etc. I'll leave those concerns to Keith Richards.

I prefer Mick Taylor. A superb player. The Stones peaked with him on lead.

sami, Emmett66, John Fell and 2 others like this.
  20. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

I still say, great guitar player or not, Taylor had the good fortune of joining the Stones at their songwriting peak. He was a worthy contributor to a stellar body of work. If it were Wood who had joined after Jones, it probably would have elevated his playing as well.

Carserguev likes this.
  21. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

Ronnie was a great bass player as displayed on Truth (Jeff Beck Group), but comparing him to Mick Taylor on guitar is like saying Wayne Newton is as good as Sinatra.

For what it's worth, I do like I've Got My Own Album To Do quite a lot.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
    John Fell, zelox and Dave Hoos like this.
  22. Dave Hoos

Are you sure that it was as much as twenty bucks?

I think it was "You Can't Always Get What You Want", wasn't it? It was, by all accounts, Brian Jones who convinced Al to come to the session. And then, sadly, Brian stared off into space while the song was recorded around him.

Wombat Reynolds and zelox like this.
  23. duggan

duggan Senior Member

Precisely, thus highlighting the issue.

Would we really suggest that it should be Taylor and another rather than Richards in the Stones on the basis of better musicianship.

24. zelox

zelox Well-Known Member

Yeah the story I heard it was ten bucks. And then Kooper was required to flip the bill for lunch.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  25. Wombat Reynolds

I think Richards is an excellent guitar player... or rather, was. His poor old arthritic fingers look like burnt old sausages with gigantic pine knots growing in the middle. I dont see how the guy can play at all.

sami and Carserguev like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.