Mickey Waller RIP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by glea, May 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mick Jones

Mick Jones Senior Member

In the booklet that comes with the Rod Stewart 'The Mercury Anthology' the credits for (I Know) I'm Losing You list Kenny Jones on drums. Actually that track is just The Faces playing, according to those credits.

2. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

Sounds too good to be Jones. I have plenty of tracks from both guys, and it sure sounds like Waller to me. The live version of Jones playing it is not nearly as good as the studio version.

3. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

4. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Well, it isn't.

5. rhkwon

rhkwon Forum Resident

6. EveryLittleThing

EveryLittleThing New Member

Man, that's too bad. Like others, I would consider him one of the greats just from what he played for Rod Stewart, let alone the Jeff Beck Group. Love his playing on "Every Picture Tells A Story."

All Down The Line likes this.
  7. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

I once heard the story that he showed at the studio up to record "Every Picture Tells a Story," but forgot to bring his foot pedal... Sounds like it might be true.

Far too many great musicians die far too young.

8. amazing drumming on "Every Picture Tells a Story". That one rocks so hard, its hard to believe that it's basically an acoustic number (only Ronnie's bass is electric), for the first part of the song.

Awesome; tremendous legacy.

I know this is 6 years later, but damn, his work on EPTAS is fantastic. I was listening to the title track last night after a few years and I was amazed. RIP

Carlos

9. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I saw him play with the Jeff Beck Group in fall 1968. All of them were awesome, Mickey included.

10. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I have the Steampacket CD. It's been a while since I listened to it. I'll have to give it a fresh listen. I'm not really familiar with Mickey Waller since my CD has no credits. RIP.

11. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

Better than all of that, didn't he play drums for Bob Dylan on the World tour 1966. That pretty much trumps everything by everyone. Best tour ever and Mickey played a blinder every night according to my tape/cd archive. We'll be hearing more of him in 2016 when Bob shows The Beatles how copyright extension sets should be compiled .

quicksrt likes this.
  12. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Yes. Apparently critic Greil Marcus said that his drumming on this should have been awarded a Nobel Prize in physics.

A great, great musician. RIP.

All Down The Line and Steve E. like this.
  13. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

RIP. I love those early Rod albums, too. I remember reading his playing described as 'sloppy thunder', which works for me as a drummer. He has energy and excitement as qualities and his playing suits the songs, so for me he's up there with Ringo. Fine drummers know the feeling of how to add to the right atmosphere of a song - Rod's early albums were unique in that they had songs with rock and roll feels, but many times used acoustic instruments such as mandolins, double bass and acoustic guitars, yet still had a lot of motion, due to Mickey's playing. Ron Wood's bass didn't play by the rules, either. He played everywhere on the neck, not just down low (actually, he didn't do that very much either). Great records to seek out if you haven't heard them. They just sound like music played by real musicians.

14. Steve626

Steve626 Forum Resident

It was Mickey Jones who played drums with the Hawks backing up Dylan in 1966.

majorlance likes this.
  15. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

RIP Mick Waller! Awesome drummer.

[​IMG]

16. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Stay hard, Mick!

17. abbeyrdsteve

abbeyrdsteve Forum Resident

Great drummer. RIP.

18. BiffJackson

BiffJackson Senior Member

I always wondered what became of him, long before hearing this sad news. Where did he disappear to?

He might have been an interesting replacement for Keith Moon.

All Down The Line and fuse999 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.