Micky Dolenz - The MGM Singles Collection (Monkees)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by IainLee, Jan 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IainLee

IainLee Well-Known Member Thread Starter

This is a project I have been working on for quite some time. I have managed to licence the Dolenz solo track from the early 70's that he recorded for MGM/Romar and the like.

This will be a vinyl and digital only release (for teh moment, CD was just to expensive to licence....that could change)

This is being financed out of my own pocket BUT will be a labour of love.

So far I can guarantee the following

180gm vinyl
    A gatefold sleeve
    Over a dozen unseen period photos from the private collection of Henry Diltz
    An 8 page booklet containing the most detailed account of Micky in this period with interviews from the key players.

I am hopefully securing an interview with Micky himself.

At the moment, I have the best needle drops available BUT I have located the masters and I am keeping my fingers crossed that we can get our hands on them. No promise, but we are doing everything we can.

For further updates, please head over to www.facebook.com/mickydolenzmgm

When we get 800 likes, I will post the front cover

If we get to 900 I will post a short section of the booklet

1,000 and I will post a never before seen pic of Micky that will be on the album. This is an exclusive from the collection of Mr Henry Diltz.

Do please come and share the word about this exciting project.

Many thanks

Iain Lee

2. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I really hope a CD issue of this comes to fruition...

3. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

Wow, you located the masters? Great!

Folknik, Grand_Ennui and D-rock like this.
  4. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Same here.

Darryl

5. I'll be sure to pick up a vinyl copy!

Folknik likes this.
  6. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Have to pass until a CD release.

7. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Will there be a LP+Digital combo deal? What's the cost?

yellowballoon likes this.
  8. Grand_Ennui

I'm not against the vinyl release: I actually think it's cool that the vinyl collectors will be able to buy it in that format...

My biggest reason for wanting a CD release is because I primarily listen to CDs: I like being able to skip tracks, repeat songs w/o having to get up to move the needle, being able to set the CD player to "repeat all", etc... I have a turntable (not hooked up), but most music I buy nowadays is on CD... My vinyl collection is laughable by most standards ;)

9. :D
    You can just give me your records if that's the case.

yellowballoon likes this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

That's where the Lp+digital copy makes more sense and reasonable.

11. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

I shall wait for the CD release like a good little boy.

12. Grand_Ennui

I'm with you...

monkeetrade and melstapler like this.
  13. readr

readr Forum Resident

I'll buy the vinyl and probably the digital. I'll support this one for sure. I'll support any fan who uses their own financial resources to fund a Monkees related release. Wonderful! This might be the wave of the future....record companies be damned, we'll do it ourselves (and hope to break even....we're not in it for the money.....just fans). I hope, in the near future, a Davy Jones solo collection can be realized. And, wouldn't be great if Peter Tork found a way to get out some of his archival recordings from the 70's? Thanks.....count me in.

14. Grand_Ennui

I agree, a Davy Jones solo collection is in order as well...

And regarding Peter Tork's stuff: I don't know how it'd be from a financial aspect, but I would think he'd be able to sell his 70's output thru his website... I don't know how Peter feels about his works from that era, but I would think that he'd be able to do a self-financed release of them?

Iceman08 and D-rock like this.
  15. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

Peter has NO official recorded output from the 70's (his only single was early 80's?) but he probably has a lot of demos sitting in a box in his basement gathering dust. I'm sure he could put a semi decent album together if he wanted too as long as he's happy to sell 100 copies or less.

16. Grand_Ennui

Yes, you're correct that he didn't have any "officially released music" in the 70s... What I should have said was that he had some demo type songs recorded at some point, some of which are in circulation out in the world ("Pleasant Valley Sunday" comes to mind)... *Those* are what I was referring to...

Iceman08 likes this.
  17. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

Been excitedly waiting for a pre-order link on this release!

18. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I really like the version of "Hi Hi Babe" I heard on the Uncle Floyd Show. If he were to put out a compilation of demos from that era, I'd get one, sure!

IIRC the guy behind the Micky Dolenz MGM singles comp said he wanted to do a CD version but couldn't afford the licensing costs at this time. Didn't get into specifics, but it seems like there was some hoop-jumping involved in making this happen.

D-rock and Grand_Ennui like this.
  19. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Interesting and good luck. Labors of love are always a treasure.

If you've located the masters, can you say, in at least fuzzy terms, where they are? Are they in the hands of an insider involved with the projects, Universal, or did someone rescue them from a dumpster or an abandoned set of studio tapes?

Iceman08 likes this.
  20. Me, too. Although if I did buy it digitally, if a discount could be provided for those who buy it in a lossy format, that would be nice!

21. Midwest Rocker

Midwest Rocker Forum Resident

Iain:
    I definitely want this on Compact Disc (in CD Jewel Box packaging, not Digipak or cardboard sleeve)! Seems others want CD as well.

Any change of thoughts or plans for a CD release based on this feedback?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
    Grand_Ennui likes this.
  22. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

I'd prefer LP vinyl.

23. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Put it out in any physical form and I will buy it.

D-rock likes this.
  24. IainLee

IainLee Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Thanks for your comments. Glad to see people are excited by this.

A CD MAY happen at some point, but it won't be for a while. As I said, my friend and I are paying for this out of our own pockets and we simply couldn't afford the CD rights on these tracks. We could only stretch to vinyl and digital. I'm really sorry...but...maybe one day.

We are doing everything we can to keep the price on this affordable. Saying that, it will look stunning. The 8 page liner notes for the booklet are amazing on their own! Also, hoping to interview Dolenz in the next couple of weeks.

As for the masters, well, it turns out when you start something like this, lots of fans come out of the woodwork. I can't go into too much detail but yes, the tapes are sitting in a vault somewhere in America. universal didn't know they had them. But they do. Along with some unreleased songs that we are TRYING to secure. We are doing everything in our power to get these recordings but I don't want to promise anything at the moment. Right now, it's looking 50/50

I'm also in the very early stages of looking at a Turtles release. I've been speaking to Howard kayla about either a CD boxset or a series of album reissues on CD. The problem is - while he has all the released stuff, we are struggling to find any unreleased Turtles stuff - demos, outtakes, studio chatter, live stuff....if anyone can help please pop over to www.facebook.com/turtlesrarities or email [email protected]

Thanks for your time

25. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

Keep us updated when the vinyl is out! Looking forward to this...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.