MIDI keyboard not detected by Windows 7

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Eleventh Earl of Mar, Nov 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far. Thread Starter

Alright, so I just got my first MIDI keyboard (Rock Band 3 keyboard) today, and was all excited to play. I'm using a generic MIDI to USB cable, and I'm told to plug in the MIDI-IN into the keyboard, however, upon doing this the keyboard doesn't switch to MIDI mode, but the MIDI to USB cable blinks indicating it's plugged in. When I plug in the MIDI-OUT into the keyboard, it switches over, but no software can interface with it. Is there anything I'm missing? I was under the impression this was plug and play. It works fine with the game, but not my PC. Is it my cable? Figured I would ask here. Want to get this up and running ASAP!

2. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

3. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

A midi controller triggers a sound source. It doesn't have built-in sounds. You will need to use it to trigger sounds from a DAW, soft-synths, etc.

4. italianprog

italianprog Forum Resident

Is your cable a MIDI interface? If so there are probably USB drivers you need to install first.

5. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Shows up, but it seems to be for the adapter itself, not the keyboard. I've gotten it to show up in MIDI OX, but I can't interface with it. Is there a general guide for setting up MIDI capable devices? Thinking it's something trivial. [​IMG]

6. Eleventh Earl of Mar

OK, so I've tried another one of the same cables and still the same issues occurs. I've contacted the man who sold me the keyboard and while he seems to know what he's talking about, for the life of me I cannot figure out why this thing detects MIDI OUT but not MIDI IN.

7. biggerdog

biggerdog Senior Member

Some of those cheapo usb-midi converter cables don't work very well--they garble data, particularly if the keyboard outputs running status.

8. Synthfreek

Did you ever get this working? What sound source are you triggering with your controller?

9. Eleventh Earl of Mar

The thing is, even when it's not plugged into my PC, the keyboard detects MIDI OUT and switches over to MIDI functionality, but with MIDI IN inserted it just doesn't detect it. I've convinced it's not my PC setup.

10. Synthfreek

I guess I'm just confused when you are mentioning midi in and out. You should use the midi out jack on your keyboard to the midi in jack of a midi sound source. You do understand that your keyboard does not contain any actual on-board sounds, correct?

11. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Yes. I'm using a MIDI to USB adapter, plugging the MIDI IN part of the cable into the keyboard, using a generic driver.
    EDIT: with the expectation of using it with apps like Synthesia, Reaper, and MIDI OX.

12. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Bump - messed with it again today out of interest to see if I might get this to work. Powering the keyboard on with the MIDI in plugged in makes it responsive in every program for about 1 second before it loses the signal. MIDI out keeps the signal for good but obviously that won't do much. I've tried two of these cables - http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-to-MIDI-Keyboard-Interface-Converter-Cable-Adapter/350220816032 with the same result. Is the cable bad or the keyboard busted?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.