Midnight Oil: any remasters other than Diesel and Dust?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by grbl, Feb 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grbl

grbl Just Lurking Thread Starter

I'm a huge fan of these guys. Have all their stuff. I'm wondering if any of their albums other than Diesel and Dust have ever been remastered. I love that remaster - sounds a lot better than the original cd to me.

I've started tracking down vinyl copies of some of the other albums because I never loved the sound of the cd's. I'm listening to the vinyl Red Sail right now. Blows away the cd.

Anyway, are there other remastered cd's out there? On Amazon, some of the cd's show release dates of 2008, which is right around when Diesel and Dust was remastered. That makes me think that maybe those are remasters, but there's nothing in the descriptions to indicate that they are.

2. grbl

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

3. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

4. arob71

arob71 Capitol JAX

I think a good portion of their catalog was (or was supposed to be at one time) remastered but only available via iTunes. I'm thinking the Essential Oils compilation is the first time some of those tracks, at least disc 1, are being physically released.

5. Dam

Dam Forum Resident

Don't hold your breath waiting for these!

6. grbl

Thanks. I think I'll just keep looking for vinyl. I've found sealed copies of Red Sails, Blue Sky, and 10,9,8 so far. All very cheap. Those along with Diesel and Dust are the essentials for me. I may get one or two more, and then I'm done. The cd's are fine for the rest.

7. The Big Guy

The Big Guy Forum Resident

According to people in the know on the Midnight Oil message board (Powderworks) a box set is in the works (even Moginie has mentioned it on his website).
    It is possible that it will include all of their released CDs, which I assume would be remastered, plus a plethora of other stuff including video.

Carlox likes this.
  8. grbl

That would be great.

Carlox likes this.
  9. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

That's right! I remember of this message on the band's site.:)
    I'm a huge fan of Midnight Oil, too...Since "Diesel and Dust", "Blue Sky Mining", all the albums until the last "Capricornia".
    I never heard the old albums...
    It would be very great, if all their albums were be remastered...
    But... Well... We still wait...:sigh:

10. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I'm going through their discography right now. I only knew 2 songs but dove in. I have no idea what chronology the albums are but I started with 10 9 8... and moved to Diesel and Dust to Head Injuries.

I'm really digging Head Injuries right now....it's a lot more upbeat than the other two. (I liked the other 2 as well)

c-eling likes this.
  11. c-eling

Love the bass and lyrics on "Who Can Stand In The Way" Red Sails

12. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

You started with the best, in my opinion

13. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I actually like the self titled and Head Injuries more than the other two at this point. Still exploring....

14. c-eling

15. stevemoss

stevemoss Forum Resident

Any more word on this? I'd love more Oils material.

16. Dam

Dam Forum Resident

Zip.Zero.Zilch

17. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

Just got the "remastered" Blue Sky Mining in the mail. Packaging claims it was strictly limited to 3000 copies. Anyone else one of the 3000? No bonus tracks here, but it does purport to be an "audiophile recording" and "remastered in high definition. 96khz/24-bit." Not sure when I'll have time (if ever) to compare it to the prior release...

Grabrat likes this.
  18. c-eling

I'll have Diesel and Dust here in a minute, mailman is out delivering, this company has a reputation of brickwalling the reissues to death, I bought this out of curiosity only, It should say remastered "From" not "In" 24/96

19. c-eling

Well, as suspected, you buy Culture Factory issues for the nice artwork and packaging or for your personal devices
    Dreamworld-
    Dreamworld.jpg

20. stevemoss

stevemoss Forum Resident

21. shaboo

shaboo Forum Resident

22. c-eling

They do, plus the lp's of both albums seriously sound great also :) For me this was a collector decision to buy the CF remasters, definitely not to do with sound quality,lol

23. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

All of which begs the question- what's wrong with companies like this? They get the license to reissue the product, they make a nice looking package and they advertise the product as an "audiophile recording" that they allegedly go to the trouble to remaster using high definition sources (although presumably not the master tapes). Why do they then instruct their apparently nameless remastering engineer to just push all the levels up to 10? Is their criticism of the prior version that it was too dynamic, that you actually had to turn up the volume to make it loud? I just don't get it...

c-eling and shaboo like this.
  24. shaboo

shaboo Forum Resident

You're not the only one, my friend, you're not the only one ...

25. c-eling

Apparently Qobuz is stating a 2008 remaster used on all it's Oil releases , I'll probably grab 10,9,8, my old US cd is not that great

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.