Midnight Oil: any remasters other than Diesel and Dust?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by grbl, Feb 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

The drums are so thin and tinny. I don't own the original vinyl, however, I would imagine the drums sound better there.

2. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

They don't, the lp sounds like a digital clone of the cd, which makes sense as it is a digital recording, I have no issues with the old US, but I may grab the RM out of curiosity :cheers:

3. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

4. c-eling

5. candyflip69

candyflip69 What's good?!

c-eling likes this.
  6. c-eling

Nice article Jon, thanks for posting :)

candyflip69 likes this.
  7. c-eling

Actually I'm taking back my comment, after doing some a/b between the US lp and US cd you are right, even though probably a straight digital to vinyl, it is considerably more "open" and less tin can than the cd, drums are more prevalent, but not by much :cheers:

krock2009 likes this.
  8. candyflip69

candyflip69 What's good?!

'10,9,8,7...' on vinyl, with all the power that used to emanate from my tin-pot radio when I was 17, is my dream.

So far, neither Japanese, nor Australian pressings have done it for me. I've heard tell of a US Masterdisk pressing, which I've never seen.

A new remaster, where Rob Hirst comes tearing through the speakers at me like he should, is my last hope?...

9. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

JB HiFi has all Oils albums remastered for $10 each on their website right now guys.

10. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

OK first listening results are in - I would strongly suggest that people avoid these remasters. Reducing dynamic range from 13-15 down to 6-7 should give you a clue.
    There are a lot of very high dynamic range snare hits throughout the Oils songs. They are simply squashed. Peter Garret's voice is clearly audible in the high volume sections of the original Australian CDs. Not so with the new remasters, which are only identifiable on the CD itself by having an R suffix to the catalogue number. The booklets and tray are exactly the same, apart from a "Digitally Remastered" sticker on the jewel case. I suspect these will not sound good "cranked".
    On a positive note for the remasters, they have more bass than the originals, but not a lot more. The originals were VERY quiet masters (at least on the Australian CDs I have), but turning them up seems to rectify most of the bottom end differences.
    Ironically, the remasters are cheaper than the originals, but I picked up the last copy of the original "Diesel And Dust" CD at JB HiFi today to complete all the original CDs I want of the Oils.
    I would strongly suggest you do too, because very soon they will be treasures on Ebay - they sound great. The remasters don't.

Mohojo, shaboo, krock2009 and 2 others like this.
  11. moops

moops Senior Member

Hey John,
    Wow ! That's a bummer ! ....... I have waited for the day that 10 to 1 would see a remaster. The article linked above with regards to the remastering process reads great, with Jim Moginie sitting there with them, you wonder what happened in the decision making process to give us this remaster when you read these excerpts from the article ......

As Nick, Jim and myself sat down in the mastering studio, we found that all that was needed to bring this classic album back to life was a very small amount of high frequency boost from the Neve’s.
    Little else was done in the re-mastering, just a slight amount of additional analogue compression, a little more equalisation here and there, and some level balancing between the songs on the album.

I'll still pick one up to hear for myself what it's like I guess.

12. John Buchanan

I think the just a slight amount of additional analogue compression is a huge understatement.

13. realgone

realgone Forum Resident

It sounds to me the drums were mixed in quite low and has that thin 80s drum sound. Overall there is enough bass and the sound is quite balanced IMO.

14. realgone

realgone Forum Resident

Diesel and Dust sounds much better than BSM. Very nice full bass.

15. John Buchanan

The DR change is so extreme (and also corresponds to the sound) that it is VERY relevant.

JulesRules likes this.
  16. c-eling

Yeah I read that and kind of chuckled, 10,9,8 was just to much for my home system, I recommend it for auto enjoyment :)

17. Mike M.

Mike M. Well-Known Member

I was really excited when I heard these were getting remastered and I was going to pay a ton of money to get all of them imported to the US. Now I guess I'll save my money. One question though: On their website they mention Earth & Sun & Moon as getting remastered like the other ones, but everywhere I look online I can't find it. Are you guys seeing it in Australia?

I guess I'll still pick up the Black Rain Falls DVD since it's supposed to be a Region 0 DVD.

18. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

If you have the original "Earth and Sun and Moon" CD, then there is no need to get the remaster (if it comes).

shaboo and c-eling like this.
  19. John Buchanan

I haven't seen the remastered Earth, Sun and Moon yet over here. Get the old one - trust me.
    Order this too for 2 blistering live shows on DVD and one of them (Goat Island) on CD - you aren't ever going to see and hear a better show by anyone:
    https://www.jbhifi.com.au/music/Whats-Hot/abc/best-of-both-worlds-dvd-cd-pack/100678/

as well as (for an unplugged Midnight Oil - it originally came with a DVD - the best version of Russell Morris' "Real Thing" ever.:
    https://www.jbhifi.com.au/music/browse/rock/real-thing-the/95556/

Might get the Black Rain Falls DVD today.

krock2009 likes this.
  20. oshfr

oshfr Forum Resident

21. Mike M.

Mike M. Well-Known Member

Thanks guys for your help. I actually own all of them already and was looking to upgrade some of them.

I noticed krock2009 that you're from Philly. I actually saw Midnight Oil there at the Trocadero during the Capricornia tour in late May 2002. Fantastic show.

Grabrat likes this.
  22. grbl

grbl Just Lurking Thread Starter

Anyone know where to get Black Rain Falls in NTSC? I ordered one from Amazon that said it was NTSC but it ended up being PAL.

23. The Big Guy

The Big Guy Forum Resident

John - I ordered all of the remastered CDs (before seeing your recommendations here) and maybe you could answer a question for me. I received all but "Diesel and
    Dust" in one shipment, and each one had the "Digitally Remastered" sticker on them. I ordered them from Chaos Music and they shipped from Australia. "Diesel and Dust" arrived about a month later from Hong Kong and it is not the remastered version. I have the remastered version from a few years ago so it's no big deal, but I'm just curious if it was even a part of this reissue campaign. Short story long - did you see a remastered single disc copy of D&D at JB (or any other music stores you may go to).

24. The Big Guy

The Big Guy Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.