Midnight Oil - the album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, May 20, 2018.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

2. mark winstanley

Place Without a Postcard
    [​IMG]
    Studio album by Midnight Oil
    Released
    November 1981
    Recorded June–July 1981
    Sussex
    Genre Alternative rock, college rock, post-punk
    Length 40:57
    Label Sprint Music / CBS
    Producer Glyn Johns

Place Without a Postcard is the third studio album by Australian alternative rockers, Midnight Oil, which was released in November 1981 under Sprint Music and the Columbia Records label. It peaked at No. 12 on the Kent Music Report albums chart and the related singles "Don’t Wanna be the One" and "Armistice Day" reached the associated Top 40 chart.

The band's third LP Place Without a Postcard, released by CBS Records in November 1981, was recorded in Sussex with English producer Glyn Johns (The Rolling Stones, The Who) at a studio/barn on Johns' property.[1][2] Creative tensions between the band and Johns plagued the recording and the group were not totally happy with the outcome. Johns had an arrangement with A&M Records and they asked Midnight Oil to return to the studio to record material suitable for an American single release – the group refused and returned to Australia.[2] Place without a Postcard peaked at No. 12 on the albums charts and related singles "Don’t Wanna be the One" (No. 40) and "Armistice Day" reached the Top 40 in Australia.[3] Cover and other photography by Robert Butcher.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. mark winstanley

Don't wanna be the one
    You can hear a clash of two worlds in this song. You hear the rock of the band and a crossover attempt into a slight pop/rock, feel/sound. On this song it works pretty well, but again much better live. The band seemed to be striving for something they weren't sure of. On all their albums up to here you can hear the band reaching and all this reaching would eventually bring fruit on the next album.

Lyrics
    I'm an innocent victim, I'm just like you
    We end up in home units with a brick wall view
    I can't believe the perfect families on my colour TV
    If I don't make it to the top it'll never bother me

And I don't want to be the one
    I don't want to be the one

I'm an innocent bystander caught in the path
    Waiting out the back while the corporate attack
    Assaults the senses with relentless scenes of passion and delight
    I cut up all the options and went running for my life

black sheriff likes this.
  4. mark winstanley

Brave Faces
    This song works really well. This is a well written song that has more in common with the songs from prior albums.

Lyrics
    I've seen faces in the window
    I've seen faces in the street
    They walk and talk of nothing
    I've known many restless summers
    The sand dunes I imagine
    A place without a postcard
    Flower people were so beautiful
    But straight and loud's the way
    Good luck the beatnik spirit
    The talk of politicians
    The sentences of cynics
    Are the sentences of childhood

They're all talking **** to me

Out-talked by the mass media
    to pay the bills it lies
    And the lies we eat for breakfast
    Brave faces face the boardroom
    the oak stained walls fall silent
    They leave lined with defeat

And they got those tears in their eyes
    Well it makes no sense to me

Why don't they understand
    We're so ordinary too
    I saw the exits closing now
    Pain and passion's my point of view
    Well there's nothing like the truth

I've seen men that have been marked out
    Ruled out by grim assassins
    They fell hard on instant replay
    And I'm never going there Well the place I see so much better
    'cause it makes no sense to me
    I saw the exits closing now
    Burning mountains, burning paper
    Burning all around and later

5. Crawlin From The Wreckage

Crawlin From The Wreckage Custom Titled

Yes, it does help, thank you. Don't mean to hijack the thread but Soundphile is right. For anyone interested, there appears to be two early masterings of the album -

The Good: 69.0 / 72.2 / 76.4 / 73.5 / 73.0 / 73.8 / 74.1 / 71.3 / 68.2 / 63.2

The Bad: 97.7 / 97.7 / 97.7 / 97.7 / 95.5 / 97.7 / 97.7 / 97.7 / 97.7 / 97.3

It looks like there may be some kind of hard limiting applied to mastering # 2.

mark winstanley likes this.
  6. mark winstanley

Live at Wanda Beach 1982

7. mark winstanley

Run by night live in 1981

8. mark winstanley

Well if yourself and @soundphile want to let us know the best vinyl and cd pressings i am not going to have a hissy fit.
    I'm a song guy that likes good mastering, but wont refuse to listen to something with bad mastering. It seems that the music industry has this murderous wish to destroy albums with this hardline mastering.
    For the most part i am just running through songs for those who missed out on the band, or specific albums.

9. mark winstanley

Watching oils on water and being reminded what a great show it is/was.
    It probably also explains my fondness for red sails in spite of some of its short comings.

10. mark winstanley

Actually watching the capitol saturday night now .... i never used to like this as much as oils on water, and now i don't know why?

11. ericthegardener

ericthegardener Forum Resident

I didn't fully connect with A Place Without A Postcard until fairly recently, but these days it's my favorite Oils album on certain days. I love how it was recorded, really sounds like 5 guys playing live in a room. I think it's their first album with some truly great songs. I can see styles of rock that may have influenced them, but they really don't sound like anyone else.

mark winstanley and Gavinyl like this.
  12. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Place without a Postcard is one of my Fav albums all the way back when I bought an Aussie pressing back when it can out in 1981. Musically it is wonderful, sonically it has always been a muddy mess.
    Imagine my surprise when on the recent vinyl box set, the sonic blanket has been lifted from the recording. Sounds superb and easily the best mastering of the box set vs original pressings. from start to the absolute stunning finish of Lucky Country - this vinyl mastering is the bomb.

cheers

13. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

OK I'll confess here, I have heard the Vocal on this song, and yea Garrett is right :)

14. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

My thread surprise.... I have Jim Mogines 8 track demo's for this album on a cassette somewhere...

They are surprisingly close to the album (from Memory and it's been a LONG time since I've played it)

15. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

I love Armistice day.. The live version I have is amazing

16. mark winstanley

very cool

17. mark winstanley

Armistice Day
    A sparse, eerie feeling pervades most of this song. Toward the middle of the song a beat brings it together. An effective and effecting song.

Lyrics
    You're watching people fighting, you're watching people losing
    On Armistice Day

The watchers do the wincing, reporters so convincing
    But the TV never lies
    I went looking for a war, but the only guns I saw
    Never used in anger

You're watching people fight, say they fight, oh say they lose
    On Armistice Day

The fixers do the fixing, the locals do the lynching
    The papers deny
    I went looking for a headline, got talking to the backline
    They'd never seen the action

Muzmus likes this.
  18. mark winstanley

19. mark winstanley

Someone else to blame
    A Pretty straight rock song for Midnight Oil and it comes across well.

Lyrics
    Tell for yourself, watch me sweat, watch me crawl
    Stretch me on the table, up against the wall
    You can see for yourself, but you better not say
    You're working four more hours every other day

See me suffer see me pain
    Must be someone else to blame
    See me suffer see me pain

There's more trouble at the dockyard
    Party's shouting at the union
    Short fuses on their anger
    Workers in confusion
    Then there's the vandals of the right
    They stalk the streets at night
    Got someone else to fight
    Got someone else to blame

See me suffer

You can speak for yourself
    Before the moment is lost
    But I don't want to shout 'cause I' m counting the cost
    I'm counting the cost

See me suffer

20. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

Can you check your originals deadwax - I think my Aussie copy sounds great, it could be a recut - with TML in the deadwax. The Mastering Lab = US metal parts

21. SpudOz

SpudOz Forum Resident

Aah, the memories come flooding back. I didn't really get into Midnight Oil until Diesel and Dust but I was regularly subjected to the earlier albums when the older kids got the school bus driver to play their cassettes on the way to and from high school. Place Without A Postcard got regular play on those trips.

IMHO, Place Without A Postcard was the first album to have a strong, cohesive collection of songs but the production leaves a lot to be desired. Songs that are so powerful in a live setting lack potency and punch on the album. The opening trifecta of Don't Wanna Be The One, Brave Faces and Armistice Day are as strong an opening as anything on any other Oil's album but they need to be heard in a live context to really appreciate their power.

A great album hampered by its production. Everything fell into place 12 months later.

Gavinyl and mark winstanley like this.
  22. luckycountry

luckycountry Forum Resident

Great thread - thanks Mark. One of my all time favourite bands, and had the pleasure of seeing them seven times last year. My first MO show was in 1993; would have loved to have seen them in Sydney in the early 80s.

23. mark winstanley

? when is this?

[​IMG]

24. mark winstanley

25. ericthegardener

ericthegardener Forum Resident

Yeah, the remaster really does sound tons better. One of the biggest improvements I've ever heard from original to remaster.

Turntable and mark winstanley like this.