Might sell up turntable front end and records.............any positive stories.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Linto, Jul 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

I will also say, when I moved int he late 90s I sold a big chunk of the records I had then (about 5-600 or so). It made moving easier and even raised a bit of decent cash. There were a few gems in there, but I did not miss them for too long. Fast forward 20 years and I have a ton of new records to listen to.

Lemon Curry likes this.
  2. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

Read the Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo. It is a quick read. If you undertake the process by the place in the process where you are dealing with your system and collection I believe the right answer will be apparent. It was for me. Plus, my TT and most of my records and CDs are still with me but there is more space, both physically and in terms of my attention, for them.

SandAndGlass, Mike-48 and timind like this.
  3. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

I’ve lost my digital library twice now. Make multiple backups. On two different storage formats if you can.

rednedtugent likes this.
  4. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

In digital audio, an anti-aliasing filter (not a low-pass filter) is used before a signal sampler to restrict the bandwidth of a signal to approximately or completely satisfy the sampling theorem over the frequency range of interest. Simply put, the explanation is that the Nyquist-Shannon sampling theory states that continuous-time (analog) signals and their corresponding discrete-time (digital) signals are mathematically equivalent representations of any bandwidth-limited signal, as long as the sample rate is higher than 2X the bandwidth. All relevant advantages and disadvantages result from implementation details rather than any analog versus digital signal representation method.

Anyway, the statement of mine that you quoted can be debated elsewhere, and we shouldn’t go off-topic here. The OP’s concern is much different, and that’s what he wants us to address. So let me replace my comment this way instead: Both CD and LP, Qobuz and TIDAL HiFi streaming, and high resolution digital audio files are capable of storing information that easily exceeds your hearing, my hearing and the OP’s hearing abilities.

I’ll also add (concede?) that it’s technically possible for LPs to store signals up to 100 kHz or thereabouts! Problem is, no human can hear anything beyond 20 kHz, and there’s vanishingly little audible instrument harmonics or overtones of any noticeable amplitude in that rarefied part of the audible spectrum. Then too, nobody above the age of about 35 can hear as high as 20kHz no matter how carefully they’ve tended and protected their hearing. There are some audiophiles who make points about being able to “feel” ultrahigh frequencies, but that’s a psychology that I don’t care to discuss here mainly because the OP apparently isn’t feeling it at all.

I still say that the OP should keep his LP12 and his LPs and his phono preamp. The time will come when his attention returns to vinyl, and when that urge strikes again he’ll still have a great system to use.

GyroSE, H8SLKC, SandAndGlass and 4 others like this.
  5. Isaiah Tolbert

Isaiah Tolbert Forum Resident

I don't have kids, or a wife or anyone to clog up my time of listening to my records and my hobbies and activities. If you don't want them give them to somebody who will. One mans garbage is the next man's treasure.

SandAndGlass, timind and Minty_fresh like this.
  6. Otlset

Otlset I think I am I think

:laugh:

7. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Yes, I get Nyquist. In simpler terms, any frequency higher than half the sampling rate will alias and produce noise, hence the need to filter those frequencies out. I call that a low-pass filter because all frequencies below are passed, and above are removed.

Agree also that vinyl can go much further than 20khz (my point) and doesn't need the signal filtered. Also agree we don't hear those frequencies anyway.

Also agree that the OP shouldn't toss his vinyl, at least not all of it, and certainly not the TT and pre-amp! Some pressings are just...special.

rednedtugent likes this.
  8. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Yes, I get Nyquist. In simpler terms, any frequency higher than half the sampling rate will alias and produce noise, hence the need to filter those frequencies out. I call that a low-pass filter because all frequencies below are passed, and above are removed.

Agree also that vinyl can go much further than 20khz (my point) and doesn't need the signal filtered. Also agree we don't hear those frequencies anyway.

Also agree that the OP shouldn't toss his vinyl, at least not all of it, and certainly not the TT and pre-amp! Some pressings are just...special.

9. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I sold off my LPs & Cassettes when CDs came out without regret. Then I sold off my CDs when the iPod came out. Again no regrets!

All where collecting dust when I got rid of them.

***If your feeling nostalgic, play this with your digital music: Dust & Scratches • The Ultimate Vinyl Noise Machine . ***

Coltrane811 likes this.
  10. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Disclaimer: I still own Beatles records that I will never part with. My son will decide what to do with them when I'm gone!

11. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I'm afraid you came around some 30 years too late:laugh:

SandAndGlass likes this.
  12. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

If you don't play them - sell them!

Don't let other people decide what you should do with your stuff. Priorities change as you go through life and what was important to you in the past may not be important to you today.

eddiel and The Pinhead like this.
  13. The Pinhead

If it used to be fun and now it's a nuisance, go digital and don't look back.

rockin_since_58 likes this.
  14. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

I am seriously considering moving the turntable and records to storage. Digital is just too convenient.

BayouTiger, timind and The Pinhead like this.
  15. The Pinhead

My cd collection outgrew my vinyl long ago. I have 6 times more CDs than I do lps. Still keeping it for those lots of titles I own that are not on CD and won't ever be. And for the other stuff I'm not willing to rebuy.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  16. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

I sold my soul to the devil because I didn't have space for it.
    Now all I have is empty space......where my heart used to be.
    Does that answer your question?

17. Guth

Guth Music Lover

When my ex-girlfriend and I first started to date she was located in St. Louis while I was in Dallas. We agreed to both move to Austin. She had a job waiting for her but it took me quite a bit longer to find work as I was not only changing locations but also changing careers. As a result we ended up living together which had not been the original plan. Most all of my things went into storage including my hifi system and most all of my music collection. After I obtained work we no longer wanted to live in separate apartments so we stayed put for a couple of years. We eventually got married and moved into our first house (both in the same month). At that point I was finally able to set up my hifi system once again and had access to all of my music collection. I had lived happily for a few years with no more than a boombox and some cassette tapes. But we were also going out and seeing live music multiple times a week during that time of our lives.

Having access to all of my music once again was great. Back then I had mostly LPs. But by that time I had started acquiring quite a few of the little discs as well. Even though my vinyl playback system then left quite a bit to be desired, I was still thrilled to have my albums back in particular. Each one brings back a flood of memories. Not only the tunes themselves, but the physical albums as well. I can pretty much remember where I bought every album that I own. I really enjoy this aspect of listening to music when I start digging through my vinyl.

My recommendation would be to pay for a small storage space and store your albums away for a period of time. Maybe six months or a year. If upon having access to your albums again you find that your excited about that fact you'll be out much less than if you were to have to try and replace all of those recordings at current prices. (I hadn't checked vinyl prices in a long time until just a few weeks ago and then I just about crapped myself when I saw how much people were paying for LPs these days.) On the other hand if your not excited then you'll be out the cost of the storage space, but then your albums might also be worth more at that point in time. Keep in mind that one can refrain from doing things that were previously pleasurable for a number of reasons. I've been through this before. Not just with my vinyl collection or listening to music, but also when it comes to things like playing guitar, riding motorcycles, fly fishing, etc.. These are all things that I'm quite passionate about and any one (or all) have dropped off of my radar at various points in time. In my case this has mostly come down to untreated depression. But there are other reasons that can cause such behavior. All that said, I'm not a format warrior (one of the phrases that I've picked up around this forum that I like). If you find that after being away from your vinyl from an extended period of time you don't have any regrets then so be it. You've just gained a lot more space. However, if you do find that you have regrets after you've moved your vinyl out, at least this way you can easily get it all back.

18. Rattlin' Bones

Rattlin' Bones Grumpy Old Deaf Drummer

It's kinda like driving a '55 BelAir with manual transmission, no AC, and only an AM radio. It's no about the convenience or comfort. There is something just total cool, for me, in using a restored Sansui TT and playing vintage jazz LP treasures on it that I hunted down in some teeny tiny record store.

stinsojd likes this.
  19. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

Absolutely sage advice. Vinyl is more and more expensive to boot...replacing rare stuff isn’t easy or cheap...

20. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

I kept all my records but I hardly listen to them anymore. I'm not going to sell and I think that some years in the future I could be interested again. So I bought a Technics M5G because I know that I only need to start it once every few month and it will keep working flawlessly for basically forever.

21. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

If you're going to do it, do it now at the market peak. In the spirit of simplifying your life, make a spreadsheet of your LPs and shop the list entire to several used record stores. You can do this by email. Big stores will come to you to pick it up.

Yes, it's less than you'd get should you take on the headache of becoming a part-time Discogs or eBay record store. But shipping LPs seems a whole lotta trouble, even if you do everything right on your end.

(Were you selling off CDs, I'd argue the opposite. They're at bottom market and I'd advise holding them. If you were determined to sell them anyway, sending them off piecemeal through the mail is relatively easy.)

eddiel and JMAC like this.
  22. timind

timind phorum rezident

This is a great post that really brings it home for me. I grew up listening to records on an ancient Garrard RC88 my dad bought at a yard sale for my brother and me. The first car I bought was an MG Midget with a 4 speed stick. Loved listening to records on that old turntable. And man was I cool driving my MG around town with the top down.
    Back in 2012 I bought a two-seat convertible with a stick shift. I thought it would be cool to tool around in that car, and it was for a month or two. But the inconvenience of that car made me realize I wasn't going to love it. And who needs all that wind noise? Sold it after one summer. I'm glad I had the experience and was able to scratch that itch, but don't think I'll go there again. Very similar to my last attempt at getting back into vinyl.

eddiel likes this.
  23. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Sage advice. It's a good time to be a seller in terms of lps.

CD wise - I've been holding off for various reasons and the more I do the more the value drops on these things, except for some rare ones. I'm not sure if the bottom is here, coming or going to ever turn around. My advice, if you can store them and they don't cause a bother, keep them, otherwise sell them now. You might be waiting forever for them to go up in value and the ones that do go up in value will not be the easy to find ones anyway e.g. the remastered Zeppelin, Beatles, Stones, etc cds. If you keep anything keep the stuff that's harder to find even now.

24. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I've been buying CDs on eBay for what amounts to one or two dollars plus shipping, even stuff that used to hold its value pretty well: deep catalog, jazz, archival reissues. And those cheap discs are from big resellers, meaning they have to be paying pennies on the dollar for those cheap discs to make a business of it. Now is not the time to sell off your CD collection!

However, when I see a college student in the mail room proudly brandishing a beat-to-s#!t copy of a classic rock LP -- which no one on this board would consider in a Salvation Army store dollar bin -- that she won for "only" ten dollars plus shipping . . . Well, it's a seller's market.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    JMAC likes this.
  25. Guth

Guth Music Lover

Although I can't imagine getting rid of my vinyl, I'll admit that some good points have been made more recently in this thread regarding the value/price of vinyl at this point in time. I believe I've said it before around here, but if I weren't already heavy into vinyl I'd never enter into vinyl playback given how much LPs cost these days (it's almost like a joke or a bad dream to me). On the flip side, if I were to sell my vinyl now, I believe that I'd only do so with the understanding that I would never get back into it. The term "seller's market" would definitely seem to apply to vinyl these days.

timind and JMAC like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.