Mike Kellie - Music From The Hidden

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dormouse, Mar 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident Thread Starter

Always been a fan of Mike Kellie. First heard of him as the drummer in the peerless new wave band The Only Ones and subsequently tracked him back to Spooky Tooth and a whole range of other projects. I have only just realised that he played on the first Splinter album along with people such as George Harrison, Klaus Voorman Gary Wright and Billy Preston. His name seems to crop up all over the place.

I've just found out that he put out a solo album called Music from The Hidden but this does not seem to be available anywhere. There is an email contact for details of how to obtain this CD on his website but that, perhaps unsurprisingly, bounces back. Anyone know if it can be obtained anywhere?

Failing that maybe just celebrate a wonderful drummer, who is perhaps criminally under-appreciated, and is certainly sadly missed, with a few comments memories or recommendations.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  2. The Lew

The Lew Senior Member

Didn't know about it, but I'm interested.

Crimson Witch and dormouse like this.
  3. dormouse

No, it certainly passed me by and I'm interested too.

4. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

dormouse likes this.
  5. dormouse

Yes but I'm guessing Finkel Productions ‎– FP 1001 means that it was pressed privately rather than through a company. It does not appear to be available on Amazon and appears to have been available vias Mike's website which is still active but the email contact is not. Finkel is presumably FIN ? plus KEL Kellie. Must have a look to see if the FIN is someone who appeared on the record.

6. Crimson Witch

It does indeed appear to be privately pressed. The discogs listing does not mention the word 'unofficial', so that is good ~ suggestive that if and when a copy should become available it will be allowed to be sold through the website.
    If you have a discogs account you can add it to your want list there. The used CD bins at independent record stores might also prove to be fruitful, which is what I am hoping for !

dormouse likes this.
  7. dormouse

Not too much information out there about this album. From an obituary from Brumbeat (Mike Kellie ): "In recent years, Mike Kellie recorded a solo album issued on CD titled 'Music From The Hidden' on which he sang and played most of the instruments himself. Famous guests on the album included friends from his old Brum Beat days such as Steve Winwood, Gordon Jackson, Bill Hunt, and Steve Gibbons." No 'FIN' evident there. A 'WIN' though! Winkel Productions Hmm.

phillyal1 and Crimson Witch like this.
  8. dormouse

I'm pretty sure it was an official (albeit private-ish) release rather than a bootleg so I don't think there would be any problem regarding formal sales. Perhaps they were CDRs produced to order by Mike. In which case I guess they may be quite limited. Which is shame as from the few clips available on-line it seems to be well produced.

9. dormouse

For those who are interested you can get a free download of a track from the album here:

Available now, a free track from 'music from... The HIDDEN' produced by Mike Kellie.
    Simply Sign up, Follow, or Facebook Share The Hidden feat Mike Kellie

REMEMBER MY NAME - Featuring: Greg Platt Lake, Finley Barker, Steve Winwood, James "Gaz" Doherty & Mike Kellie.
    The Hidden ft. Mike Kellie: Get a new free track by The Hidden ft. Mike Kellie! Simply Sign up, Follow, or Facebook share The Hidden ft. Mike Kellie

10. Crimson Witch

11. dormouse

Thanks for that. Nice to see Mike drumming so well. The search goes on I guess for this album.

12. dormouse

Anyone know of any contacts for whoever may be looking after Mike's affairs? It is interesting that there are comments about the band playing on the clip above but there does not seem to be anything else about whether any other material was recorded live or on video. Would love to hear more but do not seem to be able to get hold of The Hidden album.

13. dormouse

Following another trawl I have just discovered that Mike Kellie drummed on the first album by The Granite Shore (who had passed me by). This man seems to have played with everyone!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.