Mike Nichols RIP

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JamieC, Nov 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member Thread Starter

from WABC
    http://7online.com/entertainment/entertainment-icon-mike-nichols-has-died-at-age-83/403520/
    NEW YORK --
    Mike Nichols, the entertainment icon and husband of ABC News Anchor Diane Sawyer, died suddenly Wednesday at the age of 83.

Nichols' death was announced in a statement by ABC News President James Goldston.

"He was a true visionary, winning the highest honors in the arts for his work as a director, writer, producer and comic and was one of a tiny few to win the EGOT-an Emmy, a Grammy, an Oscar and a Tony in his lifetime," Goldston said in the statement.

"No one was more passionate about his craft than Mike."

Nichols was born in Germany in 1931, and came to the United States when he was 7 years old, when his family escaped Nazi Germany. He arrived in America speaking little English, but his enthusiasm for his new country never waned.

He graduated from the Walden School in New York City, and began pursuing theater while attending the University of Chicago in the early 1950s. While studying medicine, he found his true calling - comedy. He joined a comedy troupe in Chicago and teamed up with performer Elaine May. The duo gained national popularity together, cementing their partnership as America's innovative comedy duo.

But Nichols forged his legacy as a director, helming hits on Broadway and the silver screen - from "Barefoot in the Park" and "The Odd Couple" to "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" and "The Graduate." He earned the Oscar for best director for "The Graduate."

His unparalleled career, which stretched a half-century, included such successes as "Carnal Knowledge," "Working Girl," "The Birdcage" and "Closer." He earned his eighth Tony two years ago for his revival of "Death of a Salesman."

Nichols is survived by his wife, children Daisy, Max and Jenny, and four grandchildren.

2. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

3. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Just saw that. I was fortunate to see some of his stage work as well as his films.

R.I.P.

4. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

I met him when I worked at ABC, nice guy.

woody likes this.
  5. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

6. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Damn, that's a shame.... he was a great director. :(

The Graduate, Catch 22, Silkwood, Biloxi Blues, Working Girl, Regarding Henry, Wolf, The Birdcage, Closer....

7. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member Thread Starter

8. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

And Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
    guidedbyvoices likes this.
  9. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Very sad. I just ordered 'The Fortune' Blu-Ray yesterday.

What a talent.

10. wave

wave Forum Resident

11. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

12. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

I was listening to Mr. Nichols' obituary on one of the NYC all-news radio stations - they made no mention whatsoever of his days doing comedy routines with Elaine May. Only about his film career.

13. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

The Graduate is one of my top ten films of all time. RIP Mike, thanks for enriching my life with your work.

Peter Pyle and rockerreds like this.
  14. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Sad news!

Mike was a very talented human and his laugh is the greatest "laugh" that I've EVER heard. Anytime I need a laugh myself, I only need to put on "Nichols & May At Work" and everything is right again in my world!

JamieC likes this.
  15. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I tip my hat to this great director....
    I can honestly say his work affected me.

16. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

A rare creative genius.

17. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Rest easy, Mr. Nichols.

18. Another great director lost to us but his legacy is on screen somewhere every day. I know many dismiss "Catch 22" but it remains one of my favorite films and feel that it is undervalued and a perfectly compliment to the book.

Great quote from a 1994 Chicago Times article about when he first met May:

Back in Chicago, in the early '50s, Mike Nichols and Elaine May met cute. Nichols, who thought he'd seen May sneer at him during a play, sidled up to her on a bench in an Illinois Central railway station and said, in a cheesy[​IMG] movie foreign accent, "May I zit down?" Without missing a beat, she replied "If you vish." And they immediately launched into the kind of improvised sketch that later made them famous-as the first and maybe best of all the comedic and acting stars to emerge from the troupe first called Playwright's Theater, then Compass Players and eventually Second City.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1994-07-04/features/9407040163_1_wolf-nichols-may-classics

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
    guy incognito and IronWaffle like this.
  19. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

RIP
    I had just looked this skit up about a month ago, my first memory of the man. Please don't take offense, poor taste is not intended.

guy incognito and Chris DeVoe like this.
  20. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

I liked his 80's movies, Silkwood, Heartburn and Working Girl. R.I.P

21. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

22. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Thanks for sharing that. Mr. Nichols could do worse than to be remembered for that sketch.

guy incognito and Paul J like this.
  23. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Yet THAT is what I remember him from! I was a small kid sitting in front of the TV watching Ed Sullivan and the variety shows of that era and can remember them vividly!!!!

24. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

RIP Mike.

Left behind a great legacy. Just rewatched the Graduate about a month ago.

25. murphywmm

murphywmm Senior Member

I was thinking about him the other day and realized it had been a long time since his last project. Great director who was also a trailblazer, one of the daring directors who pushed for the film industry to end the oppressive production code. RIP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.