Miles Davis "Bitches Brew" best-sounding CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiorocks, Nov 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiorocks

audiorocks Forum Resident Thread Starter

Can anyone tell me which Bitches Brew CD sounds the best? Is there a difference between them?

I've only heard part of Kind of Blue so I'm not exactly a Miles Davis or jazz fan, but reading the descriptions of this album, I've got to hear it.

2. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

I can tell you that a very bad sounding version is the old blue-border issue (the "columbia Jazz Masterworks" version, C2K 40577). Very lifeless and dull. A friend made me a needledrop of the original LP which I greatly prefer.

3. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

For the original mix look for the 1997 Japanese CD SRCS 9118-9. It was released
    in a mini-LP paper sleeve. The same mix was also released in a standard jewel case.

The remix is a different creature altogether. I have a hard time getting used to
    the digital delay and reverb used to recreate the original effects.

SKean likes this.
  4. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I think if you do a search here, you will find a good bit of information on Bitches Brew on CD.

5. Jay F

Jay F New Member

DJ LX likes this.
  6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

For me, original CBS/Sony CD mastering is best. Japan for UK or Europe on CBS is also superb for original mix.

Dynamic Ranger likes this.
  7. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Is that different from
    ?

8. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Jay, I compared the original Japanese 50DP issue to the Japan-for-Europe CDCBS issue a few years ago and preferred the 50DP issue. The CDCBS issue sounded dull and flat to me by comparison. However, I did not compare it to the U.S. Columbia Jazz Masterpieces set. On its own, I have to say that the Columbia Jazz Masterpieces set is pretty lousy.

9. larry333

larry333 Forum Resident

Hello,

I like the CBS/Sony Japan version 50DP 703~4
    I do NOT like the "Butchered Brew" versions originating from the Brew Box set...
    However, I've also learned the new "The Complete Columbia Album Collection" might include the original mix...

Larry

10. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I am sorry for the threadcap, but I really like the SACD. It has depth and dynamics that I have not heard on any other digital version including THE COMPLETE BITHCES BREW set, or the Japanese 50DP discs.

11. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

I agree here. I really like the SACD too.
    I have heard the quad recording though and hope one day it makes it way into the market (Blu-ray??). It's really remarkable and possibly my favorite way to listen to it.

12. audiorocks

Thanks guys. I'm going to give the remaster a try and see how it goes. It's the remastered box set actually. Is that alright?

This album might be over my head! Any tips for a new listener?

13. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Listen.

LuLu Reed likes this.
  14. therockman

Just relax and take it easy. Do not struggle with it; eventually it will hit you or not. It does not appeal to everybody.

15. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

Take your time. It took me almost 10 years to really enjoy this album.

16. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I didn't like it much in 1970, so I never bought a copy until I got the box set (1998?). I loved it then from minute one. And I think the box set is the version to own. At the very least, I wouldn't want to have missed "Great Expectations," which is not from the original album.

Andersoncouncil likes this.
  17. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

I also needed the remix to enjoy BB. And it still took a couple of years...

I know many people don't rate the Complete BB Sessions box set too high on this forum, but back in the day (1998) the box set was brilliant for a not-yet-Miles-freak-fan-boy like me.

18. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I love it. I have liked the sound on nearly all of the Miles Davis box sets (the Gil Evans one is kind of shrill, though I like that mastering of Sketches of Spain).

I'm listening to the box set right now. I have two playlists for it on iTunes, the original album and the extras. I don't usually like extras, but on this set, I like most of them (everything but "Guinevere") every bit as much as the originals.

19. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

"Great Expectations" first appeared on Big Fun in 1974, as did "Lonely Fire" (also from the BB box). They were also remixed for the box set, but the Big Fun CD has the original mixes, which are similar to the original murky BB mix.

20. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Good to know. Thanks. I didn't listen to Miles until sometime in the '90s. I bought the Columbia Jazz Masterpieces version of Kind of Blue first, then the remastered KOB, then the '65-'68 Quintet box set, then all the other box sets as they came out.

21. audiorocks

Is there a difference between the Bitches Brew box set and the Bitches Brew Sessions box set? I didn't think I was getting Sessions but maybe there is no difference, and I know I'm getting the box set.

22. therockman

I have BIG FUN on SACD and I really do not get that "murky" feeling.

23. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Same thing.

24. therockman

I have not heard of "sessions," I have THE COMPLETE BITCHES BREW.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.