Miles Davis Kind of Blue MFSL 45rpm

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by radam40, Jul 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

I have the blue 50th anniversary vinyl and LOVE IT. I'm sure the source is the Wilder '97 remix... but it IS AAA cut, and it sounds that way.
    My pressing was originally a little warped, but has since flattened out!

I have been a big proponent of this pressing. I also own the KG cut Legacy edition which, for $16, is a spectacular deal. I throw that one on when not listening critically, or having friends over. I save the 50th anniversary for special occasions.

I personally can't wait for the MFSL pressing because of the 45rpm aspect.
    Don't let nay-sayers get you down. It will be all-analog, from the 'master tape'... that was made in 1997, which is fine. The Mingus remixes from the same era are notably better than the original tapes.

mikeyt and JP Christian like this.
  2. Tourswede

Tourswede Forum Resident

Will the 45 rpm release be mono or stereo?

3. bigtyke66

bigtyke66 Forum Resident

Stereo (I presume). But I just want it to be released. I have had it pre-ordered for months ...

4. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I hope that this be the best KOB ever

5. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

If anyone is too impatient to wait on the MoFi , I strongly recommend the recent Sony mono reissue, it's fantastic. Great sound, top quality pressing at RTI, and not at all expensive.

FashionBoy likes this.
  6. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Sorry. Audiophiles demand needless expense.

harmonica98, stenway and JAG like this.
  7. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

Just got an email from Music Direct saying that they are STILL working on KOB and expect to release it in early 2015. I know we've all heard these target dates before but thought I'd post this FWIW.

wwright likes this.
  8. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

wow a lot time since his announcement, I expect and hope that will be the best KOB ever reissued!

9. Well, I'm not in a hurry, specially since my current finances aren't the best after buying the Beatles mono vinyl box (poor but happy :cool:).

wwright likes this.
  10. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

me too, Iam with you haha!!! I spent a lot in records this month, so yes please Mofi take all the time that you want for now!

Hail Vinyl! likes this.
  11. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

I know this is off-topic a bit, but thought I'd say they also told me they expect the 45rpm Grateful Dead titles to be ready by the end of this year (American Beauty, Workingman's Dead). And there is no projected date whatsoever for Bob Dylan's "Nashville Skyline."

12. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Bump. Holding off buying the SACD in hopes the vinyl will arrive this year...

13. Wade Burrow

Wade Burrow Bound to get lucky

Vinyl announced 9-29-2015 by Music Direct

FashionBoy likes this.
  14. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

I really truly believe this date will be accurate. :cool:

Wade Burrow and FashionBoy like this.
  15. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

I have a clean copy of the 50th Blue Vinyl - it's hard to fathom if this 45rpm release if really going to herald much improvement - I already have 5 different vinyl issues of this title, can I really justify a sixth? :shrug:

16. soundfanz

soundfanz Forum Resident

I too have 5 vinyl versions including the 50th Blue (which I don't really rate), but can't wait for the 45 RPM version.
    Easily justified for me, and expect it to be great sounding going on the last 3 Miles Davis MSFL vinyl releases.

17. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

It's a gotta have for me. I've been really happy with the Miles releases from MoFi so despite owning several mono originals, the Classic 33, the 50th Anniv, and the mono RSD reissue I've still pre-ordered this one.

Bill

David Ellis likes this.
  18. Wade Burrow

Wade Burrow Bound to get lucky

I only have the Kevin Gray Mastered Sony Stereo Release. It's a really good listen but I want an AAA version.

19. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Of those with multiple copies on vinyl, which is your favorite and why?

20. JP Christian

I can only vouch for the copies I own:

1st: 50th Anniversary Blue vinyl - most natural sounding
    2nd: Sony Legacy 2013 Mono re-issue - really like the mono mix and great pressing
    3rd: Sony Legacy 2010 Stereo re-issue - great considering digital
    4th: MOV 2014 Blue vinyl re-issue - nice sound but bad groove echo
    5th: UK 1970s issue - not bad, but can't listen to it anymore as it's the wrong speed!

21. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

Yes, finally!

"Part of Mobile Fidelity's Miles Davis catalog restoration series, the landmark has been given the ultimate white-gloves treatment. Mastered from the original master tapes, and pressed on 45RPM LPs at RTI, this sumptuous box set of the often-reissued album is a must for even fans that already possess multiple versions. Such is the illuminating transparency, reference dynamics, organic warmth, and instrumental detail exposed by the thoroughly scrupulous mastering process. If there's a stairway to heaven, this is the soundtrack. "

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-72912-...t&utm_term=cp1050&utm_campaign=social traffic

22. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I've owned quite a few reissues on cd and vinyl. Right now my go to copy is the classic records 33 1/3.
    It's "good enough" because it sounds the best of any version I've heard. So if the MOFI is really better,
    I'll consider it, (it's not that expensive) but I'm waiting to see if I can hear a copy for myself. It's been
    so long coming, it might just be worth getting a copy for the collection, just to have. I'm not expecting
    miracles like it's going to be a magical transformation. There are lots do great sounding copies of this
    recording. What you use to play the record on is an important link in the chain.

23. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Are there any mastering differences between #'s 1, 3 and 4 above? I assume they are all the same digital cuts.

24. JP Christian

25. JP Christian

1.The 50th anniversary blue vinyl is AAA

3.The 2010 stereo issue was analogue cut by Kevin Gray from high res digital

4. The MOV is from digital and pretty sure it's DMM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.