Miles Davis Kind of Blue MFSL 45rpm

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by radam40, Jul 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spikes

Spikes Forum Resident

I did! Looking forward to giving it a spin.

2. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

It sounds just SICK. Dead-quiet pressing and the mastering is a big improvement over either the anniversary edition or the RSD mono I had.

3. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

My sentiments exactly! I shot it out on Sunday morning with an also unopened recent Legacy MONO and the MOFI 45 took it all the way, IMHO.

raferx, Dmann201 and Long Live Analog like this.
  4. Long Live Analog

Long Live Analog Forum Resident

I'm lovin' the Miles MoFi 45rpm, highly recommended....

djost and Dmann201 like this.
  5. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

+1
    sounds superb , better than the half dozen other versions i have Mofi hit the ball out of the park

6. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

I just got mine this morning. Absolutely phenomenal.

Sorry...but I have to repeat. Absolutely phenomenal.

Dmann201, raferx and Long Live Analog like this.
  7. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I got mine and gave it a quick uncritical listen. Sounded great to me, but I want to give it a closer listen this weekend. BTW, this was on order so long that I ordered from Absolute sounds recently and forgot that I ordered from Music Direct two years ago, so ended up with two copies. I think I'll keep one sealed in case I ever damage the other copy.

8. AlanLawrence

AlanLawrence New Member

The sound is amazing. Best I've heard of all the countless versions I've bought. There are some pops and clicks but I'm hoping those will come out one I run it through the VPI.

9. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

I think I need this but I've read reports of some being off centre?
    I can't listen to off centre lps!

Can anybody here ease my mind before I purchase?

10. Tremaindous

Tremaindous Forum Resident

I listened to three versions of "So What" twice tonight:
    • An old Six-Eye 33rpm LP with XSM47326-1AG in the dead wax.
    • Classic Records 180g 45rpm single-sided 4-LP set.
    • MFSL 45rpm 2-LP set.
    My setup consists of a VPI Scout, Dynavector 10x5 (Soundsmith Retip, Level 3), and AcousTech PH1 Premium phono preamp. I run this through the "Auxiliary input" of a recently refurbished Sansui 8080DB with NHT 2.5 speakers.

My quick thoughts on what I heard:
    • My foot tapped and body moved the most with the Six-Eye, followed by the Classic 45rpm and lastly, the MFSL The Six-Eye and Classic 45rpm were very close.

• The bass on the MFSL was louder at times compared to the Classic 45rpm. Louder does not equal deeper or higher quality bass. The Six-Eyes' bass sounded very good, but I wanted better bass like the Classic.
    • The piano and drums sounded sounded similar on the Six-Eye and Classic 45rpm. The MFSL sounded different here. At times I expected piano or drum and it just didn't happen right compared to the first two versions.
    • I didn't hear Miles turn his back to the microphone on any of the versions. Several times the saxes seemed placed closer together on the he MFSL compared to the Six-Eye and Classic 45rpm.
    Overall, I liked the Classic 45rpm the most, followed by the MFSL and Six-Eye. The Six-Eye was too noisy.

SteelyTom and Monsieur Gadbois like this.
  11. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

Which issue is that. My best version is on Speakers Corner. Excellent gatefold sleeve too.

12. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

No such issues with my copy.

jumpinjulian likes this.
  13. spintheblack72

spintheblack72 Forum Resident

Put it through the RD V and gave it a spin yesterday afternoon and then this morning, sounded sublime, my Classic 33rpm is a little noisy but this was practically free of surface noise and can echo those who are saying they are hearing things they haven't before like the brush of the snares and just the separation is a joy.

Simply lovely and well worth the wait, the fact that this is now out and Roger Waters Amused To Death which seemed to be the 2 that we seemed to be waiting for with baited breath, both being well worth the wait. Only now leaves Miles, Tribute to Jack Johnson, Kate Bush Red Shoes & also both the promised Twin Peaks soundtracks.

14. FashionBoy

FashionBoy Forum Resident

Short clip of Freddie Freeloader from the MFSL:

15. N_Addy

N_Addy Well-Known Member

After being on pre-order since Sept 2013 I received my copy a couple of weeks ago and just tonight got a chance to give it a critical listen. I instantly fell in love all over again. What a joy. The separation and sound stage in Freddie Freeloader is phenomenal.

I was a bit surprised at the amount of air I'm still hearing in the right channel on Flamenco Sketches. I know it's in the original recording (and all my other copies) but I would have thought they would have attempted to filter it out. Should I not have expected that?

16. rblz17

rblz17 Forum Resident

17. soundfanz

soundfanz Forum Resident

I received my 45RPM MOFI copy yesterday.
    It is superb, and I finally have reached End Game with this album. :D
    Have heard multiple vinyl copies over the years (excluding original US first pressings) and while a lot of them are excellent, this is the best I have heard.

conjotter likes this.
  18. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

I ordered a copy of the MoFi 45rpm Kind of Blue from Music Direct and it arrived in the mail earlier today.

My initial impressions:

The mastering is superb. I have not listened to it next to the Classic records reissue yet, but I think the MoFi will compare favorably.

The bass didn't seem overpowering to me, it had a nice balance on my system. I especially liked the presentation of the ride cymbals and piano. Although those sounds are notoriously difficult to play back on vinyl, they sounded quite natural on the MoFi.

The box is attractive and lavish, but I would have been just as happy (or happier) with a well-executed gatefold.

Unfortunately, I have to report the pressing quality of the vinyl was a bit disappointing. Surprisingly, on the MoFi there was a fair amount of static during the intro to "So What". I pulled out my original six-eye mono, and believe it or not, it played with less surface noise.

Also, this brand new MoFi record came from the factory with a mark which causes about 20 seconds of repeater ticks during the quietest section of "Blue in Green".

And, the second record has a ripple effect to the surface, which causes my cartridge to bounce and quiver as it tries to track the groove. There's a slight vibrato effect.

I hope it will be possible to obtain a better pressed copy, the mastering sounds too good to be marred by quality issues...

Tommyboy likes this.
  19. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

I've just received my copy of KOB and I'm a bit disappointed. It is off centre and not flat. There is also more surface noise than on the Classic issues which are much better pressings. However my system seems to be able to cope. But compared with MFSLs other Miles reissues it defnitely falls well short. Mine's number 4207 (hand written by someone who needs handwriting lessons). I think the bass is greater than the Classics but I don't know whether this is a good or bad thing. Can't decide whether to send it back or not yet.

20. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

Ugh. WHEN WILL PRESSING PLANTS GET THINGS RIGHT?

Sorry for shouting, but I really want this set. But I'm not prepared to pay big dollars with the risk of receiving a faulty product.

The people who work on these MFSL releases take a lot of time and care to give us the best sound, only to be let down in the manufacturing stage.

21. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

A few people have commented on receiving off-center discs and/or damaged copies.

The shipping of my copy was delayed because Music Direct had to replenish their stock, suggesting that a second press-run was produced. (The s/n on my copy is above 5000, which reinforces that guess.) My discs are flat, free from noise, and centered properly, which makes me think that it was the first press-run that had problems.

jumpinjulian and TLMusic like this.
  22. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

I can't possibly justify this release but I do 'want' it! I also want the Peter Gabriel re-issues so what to do? :shrug:

23. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Send it back

RTI is the new United

TLMusic likes this.
  24. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

I thought my copy was off center, but realized it was just that the center hole is too big. I was able to find the center by moving it around. This too-large-center hole seems to be the new problem cropping up, including at QRP.

Rich C likes this.
  25. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

This vinyl is only available on these USA audiophile (Acoustic Sounds, elusivedisc etc) sites which charge 50 USD for shipping to Europe. Plus there will be an import tax 20% and customs fees. Does anyone know how much does the shipping cost if I let a private person send this to Europe (lets say either to Finland or Estonia)? Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.