Miles Davis Kind of Blue MFSL 45rpm

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by radam40, Jul 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

A happy report.

I returned the defective MoFi 45rpm Kind of Blue (postage paid by me), and Music Direct sent a replacement. The replacement copy is a higher number, #4742, and it's flat and unmarked, and it plays clean.

AaronW, Tommyboy and jumpinjulian like this.
  2. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

So do you think if I order from Music Direct now I'm likely to get a higher number with no defects?

3. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

I honestly couldn't say. New vinyl I've bought in the last five years or so has been very inconsistent in quality. No two records are alike, there could be pressing defects at any point in the run.

At least this new KOB copy is very nice, so it's certainly possible to get one. And, most people online have reported that they were happy with the quality of their KOB MoFi.

jumpinjulian likes this.
  4. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur.

It is a pure Home Run. And contrary to rumor, the first run is NOT sold out. You can go on MoFi.com right now and order the first run and it'll arrive in a few days... Check out this guy's comparison versus different issues. His other videos reveal that he knows a lot about Jazz on vinyl, has phone chats with the team at MusicMatters, etc. It's the most accurate review. He has a Rega P3-24 turntable with an Ortofon 2M Black (if I remember right)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
    TLMusic and Tlay like this.
  5. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

So did I. Not always the cheapest but IMO the best UK retailer. However it's gone back. Off centre with audible wow and not a flat pressing. Called Paul this morning and asked that he check the replacement before shipping and he was more than happy to agree.

6. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

Gonna check mine first thing tomorrow. Haven't played it yet.

Anyone else having off centre issues?

7. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

Yup. I've had three copies all off center now, especially side 1. Music Direct is sending me another disc 1, but I have to say I'm pretty nervous that it will still be off center. This is ridiculous, after waiting over three years for this album after ordering it, it should have been perfect. RTI and MoFi really dropped the ball.

FashionBoy and David Ellis like this.
  8. teag

teag Forum Resident

I've had LPs where the LABEL is off center but the vinyl is not. However, it looks like its off center when you look at the label. Might be worth a check.

9. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

It's off center, evident by the fact that my tonearm sways back and forth while it's playing.

The Beave and David Ellis like this.
  10. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

11. soundfanz

soundfanz Forum Resident

Mine is perfect. No sway at all with tonearm. So IMO, MoFi and RTI did a super job.

12. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Same here. Perfect pressing.

13. VinyLen

VinyLen Forum Resident

Just got my copy, gave it an ultrasonic cleaning and put it on. It sounds amazing - definitely the best version I've heard. And it's going back. Disc one is hole cut off-center and has numerous loud clicks & pops. When I pay $50 for a new record I expect it to be flawless.
    Hopefully the replacement will be better.

The Beave and David Ellis like this.
  14. My Home Townes

My Home Townes Forum Resident

Mind sharing what number you recieved? Thanks.

15. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Yep- that's off center.

The Beave likes this.
  16. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

Another one bites the dust!

The Beave likes this.
  17. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Thanks for posting! It's curious how much narrower the MoFi stereo spread is than the Classic Records.

18. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

I was thinking that too... I'd be interested in hearing what went into their decisions on the mastering. I do like the presentation and think it sounds great.

mikeyt likes this.
  19. VinyLen

VinyLen Forum Resident

I have #03429.

20. VinyLen

VinyLen Forum Resident

I've arranged with Acoustic Sounds to exchange just the bad disc 1 from my set. I'm glad they agreed that it didn't make sense to return the box and 2 lps, and this way I get to keep my disc 2, which is fine.

21. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

just got mine, number 4238 sounds brilliant.

22. I thought I had posted this comparison video in this thread:

The Beave, mikeyt and sassi like this.
  23. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Mfsl sounds miles better doesn't it.

24. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

It sure does. Pretty noisy Legacy pressing.

25. sch-wing

sch-wing New Member

My copy has a slight sway of about 2mm, most noticeable visually at the start of the side 1 (the other 3 sides are fine) - is it worth returning? Is this the cause of the very audible hiss when 'So What' starts, or is this the recording itself or some other factor (my set up)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.