Miles Davis Kind of Blue MFSL 45rpm

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by radam40, Jul 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I don't always agree with him. Sometimes he can be predictable. Anything that is sourced from digital, he'll find fault with it. For the most part he's spot on and has an über expensive system. So, I know he's testing it on something that I won't be able to afford in my lifetime!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  2. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

That is some setup! Not to go too far off topic, but his reviews are usually reliable. He's praised a few digitally-sourced records, like the most recent Tommy and Dark Side of the Moon reissues. However, he mercilessly panned the latest Sticky Fingers reissue, which I found to be pretty good.

The Beave and Tommyboy like this.
  3. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I agree!

4. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident

Didn't the MFSL KOB's get pulled and a new v2.0 is now available? Anyone care to speculate what is different?

5. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

This is the first I'm hearing sbout this.

6. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Apparently, there was an issue with off center pressings.

7. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

Where can I get this new pressing?
    I've been holding out because I can't stand off centre records!

8. Phishman

Phishman Forum Resident

I don't know if the issue is off-centered pressings. What I know is that there is a defect (a scratch/blemish) on side 4 Flamenco Sketches. I returned my initial copy to Elusive Disc and they send me back one with the same exact issue. I initially thought it was a mistake, but today they told me that it was a defect on all copies. Anyone else have this issue?

9. teag

teag Forum Resident

Yes, I have it. Just a quick pop on mine. Not a big deal to me. Not sending it back for that. Is yours more than a quick pop? Mine is not off center.

10. Phishman

Phishman Forum Resident

Its a pop for three or four turns. Perhaps I am being too picky here?

tank64 likes this.
  11. tank64

tank64 Forum Resident

I agree that it would be nice if the recording were free of any flaws, especially for the money.
    But, I just purchased my 2nd copy to keep, flaws and all. The recording makes my other three copies on vinyl and cd sound
    distant and bright.

The Beave, Phishman and SergioRZ like this.
  12. Phishman

Phishman Forum Resident

I completely agree. This is probably the best KOB version I've listened to. I decided to keep my copy as well. Elusive Disc gave me a $10 refund, at least it covers my 2x one way shipping!

13. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

I returned my first copy which was off centre and I could hear it. I waited for the second pressing which came at the end of Jan. I'm glad I did. It's absolutely perfect.

14. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

How can you tell the difference between a 1st and 2nd pressing?

15. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

i have a first press and it is A1 perfect.

16. DavidFell

DavidFell Forum Resident

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  17. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

Last week I replaced the off-center first pressing. But still have that LOUD pop on the first isssue Flamenco Sketches. I guess I need to keep it for all the hassle that I have gone through with customer service and media quality. Will this play out in my enjoyment of this platter.

RiRiIII likes this.
  18. Phishman

Phishman Forum Resident

I had to send two back due to this issue and the one I have now is clean...

19. howlinrock

At the time I called CS two weeks ago the issue was with the off center disc. When I bought up the pops in Flamingo Sketches it was the CS rep just passed over what he heard from me. It seems he was trying to get away with whatever complaint I came up with. Either the off-center issue or the pop in Flamingo. He told me he had no replacement available for the pop in "Flamingo"

Why didn't they just replace the whole box, the records and all and make everyone happy. Start over ...... I paid a price that was hefty and I waited a long time for this issue.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
    RiRiIII and mikeyt like this.
  20. DavidFell

DavidFell Forum Resident

I'm having trouble locating the answer if it's been posted, but IS the 45rpm Mofi at the original or corrected speed? And how much was the original off?

I sheepishly admit this is my first copy of this record.

21. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

It is the corrected speed version. This lp breeds like cats, first you start with one little innocent copy and then...

22. howlinrock

The speed issue was corrected a few years back. This version had issues with being off-centered and effecting accurate playback. If your going to buy more copies as I have done .... make sure one is Mono. :)

DavidFell, mikeyt and kt66brooklyn like this.
  23. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

I think the first press was 5,000 copies. However I know MFSL acknowledged the fault so whether they sold all 5,000 or not only they know. My perfect copy is 6145.

24. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Crazy. Its like this mfsl title is cursed. Wait forever, finally comes out and its defective.

Ill wait for the second run when and if I get this.

alanb likes this.
  25. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

I got one numbered over 6000 from music direct and it's perfect.
    Glad I waited. It's stunning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.