Miles Davis On the Corner box - track listing

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by elektrikjester, Feb 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Harley

Joe Harley Senior Member

The single was called "The Molester". Miles had just been arrested in NY for supposedly molesting a woman. I still have a DJ copy of it.

2. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Not just mentioned in the liner notes - there's actually a photograph of the record label! It's non-inclusion is just beyond bizarre.

So; these are the complete Miles Davis sets EXCEPT that you still need 'Big Fun' for the composite 'Go Ahead John' and you still need 'Live-Evil' for the narration overdub by Conrad Roberts and you still need 'The Molester' 7".

3. That's insane! It should've been included! But that would've required another two CDs.

4. And Get Up With It for the finished version of Honky Tonk (recorded during the Jack Johnson Sessions).

5. evilcat

evilcat Funkier Than A Mosquito's Tweeter

And you really need an original version of Bitches Brew as mixed by Teo, plus the bootlegs Deep Brew Volumes 1 & 2 which contain all the alternate takes and rehearsals from said album (and despite what Sony would have you believe, there's 45 mins of complete alt. takes from the sessions).

There are two out takes from the Jack Johnson sessions (a rehearsal of So What from 20th March 1970 and an untitled track from 7th April 1970).

Last of all, the Unknown Sessions bootlegs:
    Vol 3 has a 20 minute take of Billy Preston
    Vol 2 has two takes of Song of Landa from 1976
    Vol 5 has Untitled Original 741000a and 741000b
    Vol 4 contains Dominique and the track known only as Sound from 1974
    Vol 1 has Turn Of The Century, 3 other takes of Minnie and an untitled track from the Minnie session, all from 1975, and two takes of an untitled track from 1976.

I have all the above except Vol 4 from various trades, and they are worth the effort. If only they'd been remastered...

If you're a real completist, you'd probably want the Comeback Sessions discs, for the various takes of the track Amanaura, recorded in 1978.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  6. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

I finally got this box, WOW! Once I was finally able to get it out of the metal case....so beautiful, even the inside of the metal box has graphics, wow!!! :righton:

7. jv66

jv66 Estimated Dead Prophet

This box set is pretty spectacular. God how can anyone not love music. My 2nd fave MD set after the Gil Evans (how another user earlier in the thread compared that to some Lawrence Welk, i have no idea...).

8. rcdupre

the trip is there's not the actual album on here (like on the Jack Johnson one), I was all set to sell mine....god this is great, I love the trippy mixing of Rated X on dics 2!!! I could listen to only this kinda stuff on ifinite repeat forever.

9. ATR

ATR Senior Member

:confused: What do you call tracks 2-5 on Disc 6, if not the actual album? Maybe I missed something.

10. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

? - tracks 2-5 on disc 6 are the actual OTC album.

Or are you specifically referring to the actual mix?

11. rcdupre

OK, missed that due to the fact that I haven't gotten that far yet and the genius who chose the size of the font for the booklet must be a sadist! :) is the mix different, is there a reason to keep the original CD?

12. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

It's also listed on the giant red sticker on the back of the cellophane the box was sealed in. I know, most people tear it off and toss it, but I kept it for easy song title references, just like this one.

13. k-man

k-man Forum Resident

Bought this a few weeks ago. Mind boggling music but eye-straining print. I'm glad to hear somebody else is having trouble I thought I might be needing bifocals. I wish on these box sets they would make it simpler to figure which songs belong to which albums and not list them by catalog number where they have to be decoded.

14. JayB

JayB Senior Member

I agree about the music-mind boggling for sure! (In a good way..)

15. rcdupre

yeah I kept that too, the giant red sticker with teeny-weeny print, designed by the same genius / sadist who decided to have everything real small so you need a magnifying glass to read it, and listed by catalogue number instead of LP, that giant red sticker :eek:

16. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I wonder if there was a promo with "The Molester" on it? There was a promo-only EP for the singles drawn from BITCHES BREW.

17. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

Huh. I have no problem reading any of it. Bifocals are cheap...

18. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

The mix is different, tho not by much (I'd say less than 'Bitches Brew'). You may want the original Japanese CD (32DP 716), the BGO CD or the Columbia Legacy CD to make a comparison. The current US remastered CD is the same remix as the box set (AFAIK). Not sure about more recent Japanese CD or SACDs.

19. apesmu

apesmu Forum Resident

hi all,

one of the BEST box sets ever.

i also have the latest Japanese DSD SACD Hybrid disc and an original US Columbia LP -1B pressing.

i haven't done a direct A/B comparison, but from my listening between the original LP and the CD layer of the hybrid disc, both sound very close (mix wise) - was this album actuallty remixed for CD at some stage (i.e., as 93curr has said in his post above that perhaps the current US remastered CD being the same remix as the box)?

:help:

thanx all!

:righton:

20. apesmu

apesmu Forum Resident

BUMP

21. Johnny Connor

Johnny Connor New Member

Right On:righton:or Right Off,whatever!:D

22. Johnny Connor

Johnny Connor New Member

BUMP!

23. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Please note that the price of The Complete on the Corner Sessions has increased from £50.99 to £93.90 since you placed it in your Shopping Basket.

Whoops.

24. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Has this mystery been solved?

Is "One and One (Unedited Master)" actually a completely unreleased track from the June sessions? I like it the most of the disc 1 tracks.

25. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Seems like it, yes, except a part of it was issued on Bill Laswell's "Panthalassa" in the 90s. "One and One" on the original album is really Black Satin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.