Miles Davis remasters by Mobile Fidelity (2012-?)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Norm Apter, Jul 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Norm Apter

Norm Apter Well-Known Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

Previous discussion of this release campaign (along with Bob Dylan titles) can be found in this thread, which I'll be asking a Gort to close so we can keep discussions of albums by these two artists separate.

2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

To get the ball rolling, I am quite pleased with the MFSL Milestones SACD. The sound is very natural. Great disc. I have the mono Japanese 32DP CD, but I have not done a comparison. If anyone has done a mono-a-mono comparison, I'd love to heard your thoughts. In addition to the 32DP CD, I know that the Japanese SRCS CD with the red obi strip is also mono, but I don't have that one.

3. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Looking forward to these. I have all of them on order.

Thanks for forking the old thread Norm.

4. Jazz Nut

Jazz Nut Forum Resident

I do not have a mono-mono comparison. Just a comparison between the RVG 24 bit and the new MoFi Milestones Mono. I know it's apples and oranges since the RVG is "stereo", but the new MoFi is certainly an improvement. To me there is a more natural presentation of the instruments, for example, the saxes, trumpet and drums sound much more realistic. But IMHO, it's not a night and day difference, as with some SACD or XRCD versus the RVG. All in all, I am very happy to have this release. I can answer questions, I know the post was a little short and generalized. I'm at work now...

5. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I'd sure like to know when KoB is coming out...

6. Jazz Nut

Jazz Nut Forum Resident

To me the RVG has always been "hot", compressed and just plain loud. The MoFi tames this down. I will listen again tonight both on my stereo system and through HD 700 headphones with both versions. But I do not have access to a different mono mastering to compare 1:1.

7. Jazz Nut

Jazz Nut Forum Resident

Me too!

I think Amazon has a pre-order for the MoFi KOB Vinyl around mid-Dec. The next one according to Amazon is "Round About Midnight" late August.

8. I'm looking forward to all of these releases. Should be great!

9. action pact

Can you provide a link? I couldn't find it on Amazon. Thanks!

10. larry333

larry333 Forum Resident

I don't think my 32DP "Milestones" CD is mono, but the rechanneled stereo version.
    (I'll have to check)

larry

11. Jazz Nut

Jazz Nut Forum Resident

12. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I'm jealous of the Mofi Milestones SACD listeners 'cause I'm holding out for the mono vinyl.

Amazon just changed the status from its longstanding "will be released July, 24, 2012" to "temporarily out of stock."

13. action pact

14. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Which RVG are you talking about? This thread is about the (announced) MoFi remasters of Miles Davis' Columbia albums and as far as I know none of those were ever reissued as RVGs.

15. Jazz Nut

Jazz Nut Forum Resident

16. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

As I said in the previous thread I have the Mark Wilder-mastered Complete Columbia Albums Collection stereo version of Milestones and it sounds fine to me; perhaps a tad bright, but I can live with that - and as I also said (too) many times on this board I'm allergic to bright and loud remasters, but to my ears it's nothing like that. I haven't heard the 2001 remaster.

17. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

It's labeled mono.

18. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

A.ca pre-order shows a release date of December 18, 2012. $46.46.

19. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I wouldn't put much stock in that.

20. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

This was my experience with my Milestones 32DP.

21. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Me too, on SACD.

22. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

Curiosity finally got the best of me and I tracked down a very clean copy of the original mono 6-eye LP of "Milestones." It wasn't cheap, however. But it's easily the best sounding version of this album that I've heard. What's surprising is that the new MOFI SACD is not all that far away by comparison. Let me be clear: the original mono LP is distinctly superior. The master tapes were new and it has better front-to-back dimensionality and a more natural tonal balance. The instruments sound more "live," no question. But the MOFI SACD is quite good and close enough to the original to be in the discussion. Avoiding the audiophile propensity for hyperbole, I'd say MOFI did an excellent job on this new SACD. Any differences are probably due to the usual LP vs SACD issues and the aging of the master tapes.

Shawn, poolie and mikeyt like this.
  23. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Interesting Carl, thanks for sharing those comparisons. I'm going to hold off buying this title, the digital copies I have are okay, and it seems that they're putting out those mono lps this year, which will suit me and my new vinyl playback rig.

24. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

+1 Dying a little bit inside each day waiting for the vinyl.

Many thanks indeed to Carl — very helpful to have a vivid description of the original mono sound, and very exciting to look forward to an LP that comes somewhat close to approximating the excellence of the 1958 pressing.

25. StAbbeyRoad

StAbbeyRoad New Member

I'm confused. You realize he's referring to the sacd, yes?

It sounds to me that when mofi puts out an lp, everybody worries about the digital edition being as good but when a digital version kicks butt, people automatically figure the lp will too. What's up with that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.