Miles Davis remasters by Mobile Fidelity (2012-?)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Norm Apter, Jul 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Merged into an existing thread, yet we had three different ones going on the Dylan Greatest Hits Gold CD. Very consistent. :)

2. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Do we know what the next MFSL Miles SACD to be released is?

3. Norm Apter

Norm Apter Well-Known Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

I haven't seen any release dates but here is my guess: 'Round About Midnight

I'm only basing that on the fact that just today I received a small catalog from musicdirect and among the 6 albums featured on the back cover under which it says "Coming Soon" there is 'Round About Midnight.

Pure speculation on my behalf, but since they chose that album among the other Miles titles it seems that we might seen that one next.

4. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Nice to hear that it sounds good Hans. Mine is still in transit as they say.

5. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

Hi everyone, first post here. I'm a long time lurker and very grateful for everyone's knowledge in these forums.

I have the following Milestones versions:
    CK 85203 (USA)
    SRCS 9726 (DSD-mastered redbook only, Japan)
    SRCS 9103 (mono, Japan)
    SICP 10082 (JSACD, only listening to the redbook layer)
    The new MoFi SACD

The worse by far to my ears is the standard USA version: Bright and involving.

The best stereo version to me is the JSACD, which has great midrange and is a little reticent on the high frequencies.

The best mono version to me is the MoFi. It is a little goosed up seeming in the horns, espcially compared to the mono SRCS 9103 which is murky sounding and I've owned it for years without being able to be very engaged by it.

I'm not sure if I like the MoFi (mono) or JSACD (stereo) the best yet, but it's great to have another mono version of such a great album.

CBackley likes this.
  6. agentalbert

Welcome to the sandbox, Jfeldt. Thanks for posting your impressions. A lot of those JSACD's are very nice, though its great to have excellent sounding versions available from MFSL for significantly less.

7. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

True. I was so excited to get my first post out, I forgot to ask people if they wanted to ask any more questions comparing it to other versions or just how it stood on it's own. Please feel free to ask.

8. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Welcome, and very nice review. I especially appreciate your comments on the SRCS 9103 mono CD, as I was wondering how it compared to the MFSL SACD. The MFSL SACD is very good.

9. e630940

e630940 Well-Known Member

I have not heard that SICP 10082 SACD but have the stereo single layer SRGS4585 which has been my favorite listen for musicality. It still remains even after the new MFSL first listen.

10. Claude

Claude Senior Member

I got Milestones today and A/B-ed it with the stereo version in the Miles/Coltrane box set (metal box version). The sound of the Mofi is fuller and mellower, and because the early stereo mix isn't entirely successful I don't mind the mono limitation.

But what caught my attention most is that the mono recording plays a bit slower than the stereo (the Sony CD and JSACD are nearly idenical, the track timings just one second apart maximum).

Here are the track timings compared:

MoFi / Sony
    1. Dr Jackle: 5:55 / 5:45
    2. Sid's Ahead: 13:15 / 12:59
    3. Two Bass Hit: 5:20 / 5:10
    4. Milestones: 5:49 / 5:42
    5. Billy boy: 7:20 / 7:10
    6. Straight no chaser: 10:48 / 10:34

11. e630940

on my setup:

Dr Jekyll:

new MoFi mono SACD 5:45
    Sony mono LP 23AP 2554 5:45
    JSACD stereo SRGS4585 5:41

12. e630940

interestingly for Dr Jekyll (MoFi SACD) on my OPPO 980H it reports 5:54 for track length but plays 5:47 - it seems that it adds the trailing gap to the track time

13. Claude

Claude Senior Member

I played the CD and SACD in parallel on two players and noticed the SACD lagging behind more and more as the tracks went on. That made me investigate the track times. It's not just a case of wrong timing indicated on the display.

14. e630940

for sure - my guess is that the mono are about 4-5 seconds slower than the stereo just on that 1st track.

15. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

It looks like the multiple mono versions roughly line up, and that the multiple stereo versions roughly line up.

Dr. Jekyll times as reported by Foobar for me:

MoFi mono: 5:56
    SRCS 9103 mono: 5:55

USA stereo: 5:50
    JSACD stereo: 5:50
    SRCS 9726 stereo: 5:49
    Miles & Coltrane box: 5:49

16. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Listening to Milestones right now, it sounds very good!

17. agentalbert

Music Direct shows "Round About Midnight" as available September 25th, 2012. I never bought the old single layer SACD of this title, so I'm looking forward to this one.

18. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I suppose there's no word yet on when KoB is coming out on MoFi?

19. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I pre-ordered it from Music Direct, so I should have gotten a shipping notice if that were the correct date. So far, I've received no shipping notice.

I've heard nothing. We probably won't see a date in advance of its release, or at least not far in advance.

20. agentalbert

I wrote MD and they updated the status online to "TBD". They said there is no estimated release date at this time. None of the coming Miles MFLS SACD's show any release date on the MD site, which means they're likely more than a month away. Wonder what's coming next. None of the Dylan or Joel (or Chicago or Foreigner) titles show any release dates either.

21. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

Just for the record - I'm also looking forward to those discs.... I might even take the plunge for the LPs, when/where available. Well, all but 'Kind of Blue' - I don't need another version of that one...!

22. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I hope these are big sellers for MFSL. I would love to see the 65-68 quintet albums get reissued.

23. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Folks, has anyone compared the original mono LP of Milestones with the MOFI SACD? Why my LP plays faster than the sacd? Is it my idea?
    I know that it is not my turntable BTW so unless it is my impression something is wrong here.

24. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Silly me, I though we might have an release update on a new title. Sorry to intrude, as you were.

25. Claude

Claude Senior Member

A few posts above, I showed that the Mofi SACD is slower than the previous stereo CD releases. Maybe Mofi messed up with the speed during the mastering.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.