Miles Davis remasters by Mobile Fidelity (2012-?)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Norm Apter, Jul 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

I sincerely hope the "extra care" is taken with every album that is reissued and sold at $30...

2. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure what they meant by extra care was "waiting extra time", probably to have access to the right source at the right time and to get factory pressing during a better period... maybe they were waiting until after RSD?

3. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Apparently only with "classic albums". :)

4. Sourcreampudding

Sourcreampudding Forum Resident

From MOFI's facebook page:

"We are shooting to release Bitches Brew on both formats by the end of June if there are no delays."

Good news! Although I also seem to remember them saying they were hoping to put out Kind of Blue by the end of February.

I wish they could release the Miles titles with the same efficiency they've been releasing the Dylan titles.

5. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I wonder if the Dylan and Manilow SACDs were canceled due to poor pre-order sales.

6. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I cannot imagine there would be much interest in Barry Manilow, but I could be wrong.

7. George P

George P Notable Member

If it was a GH, I'd be very interested.

8. La Roca

La Roca Well-Known Member

I've heard a lot of people say that they love the SACDs of the Miles Davis reissues from Mofi. That's all fine for an SACD but ultimately the litmus test of wether an analog reissues is superb or not is how it sounds on vinyl, and in that regard I have to say the sound on all but "Sketches of Spain" have underwhelmed me so far. As a matter of fact Mofi has been underwhelming me lately. All the Wheezer stuff they put out sound very anemic. Based on what Mofi put out I question if Wheezer a 90s band even put those records on analog--they sure don't sound analog to me.

I don't know how a smaller company like Impex can put out a world class reissue of Davis' E.S.P. and Mofi continues look like newbies in the reissue game. And don't get me started with all the rumors and speculations about "kind of Blue". If any of you on this thread are interested in that discussion check out the Music Matters thread pt.6.

crispi likes this.
  9. La Roca

go to music matters thread pt 6 and see some of the discussions over this topic. You won't be disappointed

10. La Roca

that's what they do to everyone; the knock on them is that they are not using a true analog copy of the tape

11. La Roca

where is it?

12. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Be patient, grasshoppers. I had to wait nearly two years between announcement and release for my beautiful Mofi mono vinyl Milestones to finally become a reality.

Of course, I frequently caterwauled and griped and bitched up a brew about the endless wait (see my earlier posts in this thread)!

:cussing:

13. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Is this vinyl only? I haven't been able to locate a CD, though I know Impex does do some CD's.

14. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Can someone simply recap, in order of original catalog release, which Miles Davis SACDs have been re-issued by Mofi?

15. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I like Manilow, but a lot of people don't these days.

Of course, Dylan is Dylan, but we got the excellent Audio Fidelity gold CD of Greatest Hits, and that could have limited pre-orders on the SACD.

16. mikeburns

mikeburns Forum Resident

Ok well my copies of Sketches of Spain and In a Silent Way on vinyl from mofi arrived yesterday. Listened to both albums through twice. They are impressive. Seriously gorgeous sound! They are both the best versions of these albums I have heard. Mind you I haven't heard originals.

My thoughts are that Sketches is indeed slightly better sounding (from an audiophile perspective) than In a Silent Way, but I assume this is mainly due to the recording process of the original tape rather than a reflection of the mofi release. Both are beautifully clear and crisp and immediately command your attention. Lots of nice dynamic range and that trumpet sounds sooooo cool man! Also the electric organ/piano on In a Silent Way sounds so warm and lush. Really beautiful actually.

Basically if you want these records on vinyl and are willing to shell out the big bucks then the mofi releases are definitely the way to go. Will definitely be purchasing Bitches Brew and Kind of Blue when they arrive (eventually). Cross fingers for Live Evil and Jack Johnson too!!!

Thanks everyone on here for the recommendation, so pleased I go the mofi over any other release.

SergioRZ likes this.
  17. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

18. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Thread temporarily closed for cleanup of some off-topic posts. It will reopen. Stand by.

19. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

^^^^^^^Those are merely two of the four "complaint" posts regarding the derailment of this thread into Dylanville. If you have time to post a complaint, you have time to hit the report button so a staff member can actually take care of the problem. Complaining in thread does nothing to solve the problem. Hitting "report" solves the problem.

Several posts deleted; ten posts moved to the appropriate Dylan MFSL thread. Warning points assigned to the derailer.

Please carry on with the Miles stuff here. Thanks.

Last edited: May 7, 2014
    SteelyTom, Tremaindous and soundfanz like this.
  20. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

RelayerNJ likes this.
  21. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

The Miles stuff is coming right after The Beach Boys Today, Chicago I & II, and the two remaining Sinatra titles. Just wait!

22. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

Someone posted earlier in this thread that "Bitches Brew" is going to be released even before "Kind of Blue", which has been announced like like 3 years ago or so...

23. George P

George P Notable Member

Can someone confirm that Sorcerer is among the titles to be remastered by MOFI?

24. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

25. George P

George P Notable Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.