Miles Davis SACD remasters by Mobile Fidelity *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BSC, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Fellini912

Fellini912 New Member

It is a double SACD of pure Miles Davis bliss. I bought mine from Music Direct, because I could not wait, also I wanted a low number edition. It is a fantastic buy. Now I am eagerly waiting for APO's Steamin' with Miles Davis SACD this month, the other two releases of Miles Davis mono albums SACD on APO are amazing.

2. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

Anybody happen to know what's the next Miles Release on MFSL's list?

3. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

According to an email today from SoundStageDirect.com, Nefertiti is "shipping soon."

As is Bob Dylan's first album, and the Grateful Dead's American Beauty and Workingman's Dead, from MFSL.

Note the above info applies to vinyl releases, not SACDs.

4. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

As far as SACD, I was told in an e-mail last month that "Jack Johnson" would be up next after "Bitches Brew". But who knows when that will be?

5. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I have "Jack Johnson" and the two Grateful Dead titles ordered on SACD. Hurry up and release them. :D

6. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Hurry up and MFSL don't go together.

7. cds23

Well at least they managed to release two new titles this year. :D

8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Out of curiosity which Miles title are you referring to?

Bill

9. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Possibly My Funny Valentine and Bitches Brew?

10. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

About this time last year, I wrote Music Direct asking about the Kind of Blue SACD. They said they were taking extra time to make sure that they got it just right and that they expected it to be out before the end of last year. Right.

MisterBritt and rxcory like this.
  11. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

Not a solid confirmation on this one, but.....
    Nefertiti.

12. cds23

Thank you. After "Bitches Brew", and god knows I love this album, it'd be nice to have a less fusion and more post-bop oriented album such as "Sorcerer" or "Nefertiti". Or even better, "Kind of Blue"... just kidding.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
    David Ellis likes this.
  13. George P

George P Notable Member

I want Sorcerer! :goodie:

14. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Sorry -- Bitches Brew. I pre-ordered it for $34. Apparrently Amazon has it listed as a single SACD, which would be inline with their price. But it's a double SACD, I assume. So it should be around 45. I would think anyway.

15. Claude

Claude Senior Member

I just received the Bitches Brew SACD and I am currently A/B-ing it with the HDtracks 24/96 download (both have the original mix).

On the first track (Pharoah's Dance), the SACD seems to have a bit more clarity.

What made me write this post is that after 19 minutes of the track, there is audible distortion in the right channel, which is not present on the HDtracks download. It's not terrible, but a bit of a letdown given MFSL's standards.

George P and Clanceman like this.
  16. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

That's not good news. If the MFSL SACD is brighter than the HD Tracks download, I will probably just stick with that.

George P likes this.
  17. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I don't hear that.

18. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Where did Claude mention that the MFSL SACD is brighter than the HD Tracks download. He used the word "clarity", which can mean a myriad of things, but not necessarily brightness.

LEONPROFF likes this.
  19. Claude

Claude Senior Member

I did the comparison with headphones, which is not so ideal for evaluating frequency response or dynamics, but is very revealing concerning defects.

Anyway, my post wasn't meant as an opinion on which release sounds best, but to point out the distortion on the MFSL SACD. I'm wondering if the two are from the same source.

20. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Thanks for the comparison, Claude. Sounds like the SACD and HDtracks aren't very far apart sonically.

As appealing as the SACD is, I think I'll save some $$$ and shelf space this time around with a download.

21. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Sorry if I misinterpreted Claude's comments. Usually more clarity = treble boost but not always. I personally found that most Shawn Britton's masterings usually have a slight treble and bass boost compared to other masterings. I don't like it, but others might prefer it.

22. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Not enough treble/top end on Shawn's mastering of Sinatra's Swingin' Session!!! IMO, but that's for another thread.
    Question: did Shawn do the mastering on Bitches Brew?

23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

He did.

rxcory likes this.
  24. cds23

My perception is that Shawn Britton doesn't roll off the high end like many other engineers do. That may not appeal to some, but it sounds truer to the source.

25. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Really?

I just put the disc on again, just to make sure there was nothing wrong with my hardware yesterday.

It's a crackling in the right channel that starts at 19:09 into the first track. It's very obvious. On the SACD and the CD layer. It's completely absent on the HDtracks download.

Clanceman likes this.