Miles Davis SACD remasters by Mobile Fidelity *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BSC, Feb 15, 2014.

1. George P

George P Notable Member

Let me guess, the MFSL silver is darker? :D

ParanoidAndroid likes this.
  2. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Am I the only one who prefers to listen to the mono mix from the box set?

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  3. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Yeah, it sounds more natural to me.

I have 4 versions of Someday my Prince will come. All offer something I like.

MFSL Silver - best version of original stereo mix
    Mono Box Set - mono mix
    AP SACD - 3 channel mix
    JPN SACD - remixed stereo mix and bonus tracks

Simon A and George P like this.
  4. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I haven't heard the AP SACD, but I disliked AP 45 rpm vinyl which was mastered the same time as the SACD and also by George Marino, it just sounded dead (tonally bland with grey colors) and it was also pretty bright. It's hard to imagine any mastering being brighter than that reissue, it was even brighter than the Music Matters 33 rpms, it sounded like there was a 5-8 dB boost at 7-8 KHz on up with a fairly wide Q so it affected quite a bit of the instruments' upper fundamentals and overtones.

The MFSL silver CD sounds like a more transparent/lower noise floor 6-eye stereo LP.

Clanceman and George P like this.
  5. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

The cymbals and the horns sound very natural and realistic on the MFSL CD. Lots of detail with no additional brightness but with a typical "warmth" you'd expect from an original early 1960's mix to the mids and lower end of the frequency spectrum.

Simon A likes this.
  6. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Can you please mention the album you are talking about? Otherwise this is not really helpful. :)

agentalbert likes this.
  7. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

They are talking about "Someday My Prince Will Come" in various editions.

George P likes this.
  8. cds23

The "Someday My Prince Will Come" MFSL CD from the 80's.

9. khronikos

khronikos Forum Resident

Well I bought most of these. A couple were back ordered. I decided I wanted the original mixes. Sorcerer stills sounds pretty weird to me, but I do like parts of it. Miles and Shorter kind of playing at each other is different. I just wish there was more separation between the main instruments on the channels. The drums make this an entirely different sound. I still like the remix better, but it's nice having some original on MFSL. I love their packaging.

fatwad666 likes this.
  10. khronikos

khronikos Forum Resident

Would you come to expect that from an early 60s recording. I think there are plenty of bright recordings out there from this period. Not really bright just the musicians are playing their instruments. But the MFSL's for sound mastering are done very well across the board on Davis.

11. HDOM

HDOM Well-Known Member

Can somebody tell me what is the difference betwen mfsl 1997(2001) sacd and the 2015 sacd gain2 mfsl edition?

Were both remastered? And have somebody compare these 2 in sound?

12. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

Hi, the only Miles MoFi SACD I know of from the turn of millennium timeframe is Steamin', are you referring to that? MoFi never re-did that title though, so perhaps one of the Sony Japanese CDs is mis-marked somewhere as a MoFi?

13. HDOM

HDOM Well-Known Member

i am refering to these 2 titles:

2015: Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue

2001(1997) sorry i guess this was not mfsl but columbia, so it means mfsl had only 1 sacd edition that from 2015, how do they sound are mfsl better in your opinion? maybe the cd layer is better in the 1997 sacd?

looking more for a great cd or sacd so i can rip to 16 bit 44khz or burn to cd

14. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

I definitely prefer the MOFI SACD to the earlier Columbia one. It's not bad though. And the MFSL SACD also has a CD layer you can play.

SOONERFAN and Plan9 like this.
  15. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

MOFI SACD of KOB is the best digital version I have ever heard of it IMO :)

SOONERFAN and Mark E. Moon like this.
  16. aakko

aakko Forum Resident

Yes MoFi SACD of KOB is stellar. For mono mix HDTracks version is great.

SOONERFAN and Plan9 like this.
  17. HDOM

HDOM Well-Known Member

ok great to know i had received from a friend the iso file of the sacd mfsl 2015, and i had riped with AuI ConverteR 48x44 and i get 24 bit 44 khz as maximun output, extrange should not this be over 44khz? just wonder! i just going to burned to dvd-r or cd-r or listen via usb

ps. i dont know why MFSL dont had put this file in 16 bit 44khz or 24 bit 44khz so people can buy it online like hdtracks do, sadness because i dont WANT the hdtracks because i dont listen over 48khz,

ps.2 i get stereo version when i rip with AuI ConverteR 48x44 i guess this mfsl 2gain sacd it had no mono in it?

regards

18. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

I have both, the Columbia as well as the MoFi, and the Columbia SACD is a little drier but nevertheless still sounds
    very good.

19. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

If I recall the Sony 1997 SACD version used the same master tapes as the MOFI.

20. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

The question is: will we get Live-Evil or Dark Magus?

21. ciderglider

ciderglider Forum Resident

I think it's unlikely that any of the live double albums from the 70s will get the mofi treatment. (I know that Live Evil isn't a completely live double.) The only Miles double album they've done is Bitches Brew. Maybe they'll address themselves to Get Up With It?

Tim Bucknall and George P like this.
  22. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

That would certainly be ok by me!

23. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

Get Up With It and Big Fun would be fantastic! We did get live albums from the 60s.

Tim Bucknall, MikeJedi and George P like this.
  24. cds23

I can't find the thread where the announcement of Miles Smiles from MFSL was being discussed. I guess it fits even better here, so I'll post it here.

I am glad that MFSL decided to reissue Miles Smiles and complete the Second Quintet albums. What's even more exciting is that they want to do Porgy & Bess, an album I've liked very much since I first heard it but gave far too few dedicated spins. More reason to revisit.

I just hope they feel like there is still enough potential in the pre-70's work of Miles; I'm not that much of a fan of the stuff that came after Jack Johnson (I didn't bother to buy the On The Corner SACD).

Shvartze Shabbos and George P like this.
  25. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

I am definitely looking forward to Miles Smiles and Porgy & Bess. MFSL has done such a fantastic job on their Miles Davis SACDs so far. They've really changed my relation to the second quintet material, which I used to think was a little spotty, or in any case Not-for-me, but which I now enjoy pretty thoroughly. The release announcement in November 2017 does sort of pose some obvious questions, though, starting with Miles Ahead. Like you, I also wonder about the future of Miles Davis on MFSL (well, over the next few years let's say): will they head into Live Evil and the 70s? Will they pick up some of the minor 60s releases? Will they just declare victory and move on to other artists? We shall see... (but hey, they really gotta get Miles Ahead out!) RH