Miles Davis SACD remasters by Mobile Fidelity *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BSC, Feb 15, 2014.

1. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

No, it's not. It's only had some of the more obvious edits cleaned up. But it's the same mix.

2. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Good, one less Mofi I need to buy. And you said "up to" Bitches Brew. Does that mean that BB isn't a remix as well?

3. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

Sorry, forgot that one's weird. See: Miles Davis - The Complete In A Silent Way Sessions

And in the liner notes, "F1 Remixed and edited by Russ Payne for the original LP CS 9875". F1 refers to the album tracks.

Interpret that as you will. :D

4. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

BB is a remix.

5. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

A good and probably not to bothersome way to het all the original mixes is to buy the early/mid nineties japanese CDs with the red obi (mini LP or jewel case). I've heard only good things about them. Needless to say, I would buy only what hasn't been reissued by MFSL (Blackhawk, Carnegie Hall, Miles Ahead, 1958 Miles, Newport 1958). Also, the japanese edition of the Complete Plugged Nickel dates used the original mix, I don't know if from copies or the original (being a Sony Japan release, it could very well be from the original mix down tapes or a 20/88 digital transfer), but it sounds really good, mellow and warm.

6. martinb4

martinb4 Forum Resident

Btw importcds.com has some really good pricing on the mofi discs. $17-18 for a few of them, $25 on others.

Robert C likes this.
  7. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

#%££%£& you're right. You should have made this post last week.

Thought I was doing a great deal ($32.47, before $39.98) for:
    Miles Davis - Kind of Blue [New SACD] Hybrid SACD, Orig Master Rec
    I'm sure I'll forget about that difference once it starts playing. Can't wait for it...

joshm2286 and martinb4 like this.
  8. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Deleted my first reply, misread your post. I agree, those Japanese CDs (the Sony SRCS-91xx series) are excellent, I have several.

9. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

For the original albums on the complete box sets, only Bitches Brew is remixed from the post above. In a Silent Way and On the Corner album tracks are the original mixes on the box sets.

subtr likes this.
  10. Trainspotting

Hmmm, again - not what people on this thread have said. Apparently, only In a Silent Way isn't a remix - and even that is suspect as there were edits done.

11. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

For the album tracks, though. The tunes on On The Corner are presented on the OTC box as they were released, as well as a couple of them being presented unedited. The unedited material is remixed (or, in fact, mixed for the first time I suppose) and the tracks that appeared on the album are not.

The BB material is all remixed on that box set. The IASW stuff I'm not sure about - someone else will know for certain. I can believe that it's the same mix, but a re-edit as was mentioned. I think the single CD issue of IASW that came out when the box did or thereabouts was the one I got, so when I heard the MOFI (recommended, but it's not as much of a night and day difference to me as their other releases) the edits were more jarring and unexpected for sure!

12. Trainspotting

All right, just ordered Mofi's Bitches Brew SACD for $39.99 from Acoustic Sounds along with Mofi's James Gang Rides Again SACD (I thought this one was out of print) and AF's Spirit.

subtr and MikeJedi like this.
  13. George P

George P Notable Member

I also just got the Bitches Brew SACD.

I noticed the noise at the end of the first track and read about it in this thread. So, Mofi used the original mix for Bitches Brew, but have we figured out if the other releases of this mix have the noise on them?

14. Trainspotting

I've also got the Mofi In a Silent Way coming this week. Loved Bitches Brew! I think I'll buy one a month until I get them all.

Pants Party and lwh1 like this.
  15. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

The only Mofi I don't have is 'Bitches Brew' - a bit costly.

16. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

People start talking about it here and in follow up posts some testing of other versions is done which should help with your question Miles Davis SACD remasters by Mobile Fidelity *

Clanceman likes this.
  17. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks, I found this:

And this:

So, it seems that the noise is heard on at least one non-Mofi release of this album, BUT it seems the noise isn't simply due to the original mix being used, since it is not on the HDTracks or the original LP.

Maybe the original master tape was damaged somewhere between the HDTracks (2012) release and the Mofi?

18. George P

George P Notable Member

And while we are at it, I am curious how many people have compared the Mofi In A Silent Way and the same mix, different mastering, from The Complete In A Silent Way 3CD set?

I have been listening to and comparing the two this weekend and find the latter to be more open on top. More prominent tape hiss, but clearer tone on those gorgeous organ sounds. However, when I look at both in Audacity, the Mofi actually has a bit more high frequency info. Anyone know what could cause this?

Clanceman likes this.
  19. cds23

It is also on the 40th anniversary 2LP (cut from the original mix tapes); all recent versions using the original mix without the noise have been cut/mastered from (newer) tape copies or they used the original tapes but removed the noise somehow (digitally?).

joshm2286 likes this.
  20. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I could see someone fixing it in a DAW whereas Mofi wouldn't, saying "Attempts to eliminate them would have negatively impacted the integrity of the presentation"; which I take to mean the act of running it through a DAW in and of itself doesn't meet their remastering standard.

21. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

It's also on the HD Tracks version. I have that version and it's definitely present. I posted about it some where in this thread:

Miles Davis SACD remasters by Mobile Fidelity *

Clanceman likes this.
  22. HDOM

HDOM Well-Known Member

were in hdtracks are present? which song and minute you talk about the sound cracking? i have the hdtrack mono version and i had not hear nothing! what cracking are you guys talk about? is it also in the mono version?

23. George P

George P Notable Member

Did you ever compare it to the MFSL SACD Kind Of Blue? If so, I'd love to read your findings.

And thanks for your earlier post comparing the MFSL, HDTracks and K2 releases!

24. cds23

Can‘t wait for the Miles Smiles SACD. Let‘s hope it comes out in 2018 and that MFSL isn‘t done with Miles Davis after that (and Porgy & Bess).

MikeJedi, OptimisticGoat and rxcory like this.
  25. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

...and Miles Ahead, maybe Water Babies, and most definitely Big Fun and Get Up With It.

dzhason, George P, subtr and 2 others like this.