Miles Davis SACD remasters by Mobile Fidelity *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BSC, Feb 15, 2014.

1. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I like the way you think!

MikeJedi, rxcory and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  2. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

Get Up With It on MoFi.... :drool:

3. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

Hey, I'm thrilled to have what we have, but yeah, it would be really sweet to get Get Up with It. I don't think Big Fun is as essential, but I would buy it. I would, however, be ecstatic about GUeI as well as Live/Evil and Dark Magus.

4. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

...we might as well throw in Agharta and Pangaea for good measure. :agree:

5. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I
    I don't care for albums like Big Fun, Water Babies, Get Up with It and the like, but Agharta and Pangaea would be nice, as well as the 1960s "interim" albums Seven Steps to Heaven, Miles Davis in Europe, Miles in Tokyo and Miles in Berlin, but for me Miles Smiles is a priority.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    cds23 likes this.
  6. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Well, I personally prefer the albums named by @rxcory to any of the others, but tossed in Ag. and Pan. just to try to make sure there is something for as many folks as possible and no one feels left out.

7. martinb4

martinb4 Forum Resident

Not saying MOFI couldn't improve them, but if you haven't checked out the Blu spec versions of those two, they are fantastic.

frightwigwam and SOONERFAN like this.
  8. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Well, I am a jazz lover and have been for over 50 years, and prefer Miles' acoustic albums to his electric ones, though I have most of those too :)

riverrat likes this.
  9. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I do have those but I’d go for a MFSL vinyl edition too.

Sure, sure... as far as acoustic or electric, I don’t have any hard preference and tend to go through phases of one or the other, currently I’ve been in an electric phase. But, like you mentioned, Miles Smiles is priority for me too, every time I get an email from Music Direct I check it eagerly hoping it will be announcing its arrival.

10. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

Are the Blu Spec versions different from the 2006 Japanese CDs (DSD mastering)?

I would take an Agharta, for sure.

11. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I think on this forum any of the Miles albums not yet released by the label could find supporters. I honestly think they should just continue licensing all they can from Sony and I bet each will sell. I know I'll buy any they release.

SteelyTom, Sorcerer, martinb4 and 4 others like this.
  12. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Me too, but then I felt the same way with the Mofi Sinatra SACDs.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I'm still sad they had to cancel some of them, due to Universal revoking the licenses.

MikeJedi and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  14. +1

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  15. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Absolutely! In my dream of dreams they’d do Big Fun with all the bonus tracks like on the Sony/Legacy CD (“Recollections”, “Little Blue Frog”, etc), but I realize this is just a pipe dream.

yesstiles likes this.
  16. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

I would like to know as well.

17. Lonson

Do a search. There are several threads about Agharta and Pangaea.

J.A.W. likes this.
  18. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I took a peak at my copies, I’ve never quite figured out how to identify the mastering info on most of the Japanese discs I have though. On the obi-strip there is a date of 2006, followed by some Japanese characters, inside of a little rectangle, I don’t know what it means though. There is neither any mention of DSD nor a DSD logo anywhere that I see. However, the Japanese insert does say “Reissue Mastering Engineer: Machiko Suzue, Sony Music Studios Tokyo”.

ciderglider, Lonson and SOONERFAN like this.
  19. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

Just in case MoFi doesn't get Miles Smiles, what's the consensus on the single layer Legacy SACD from '98?

20. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

As far as I know there isn‘t any (consensus). Some prefer the remix found on the SACD and later CD versions, others find it too bright and loud and went for the first japanese 32DP CD. Has Miles Smiles been part of the red obi SRCS series? If so, this might very well be the best version to this day.

21. Lonson

Yes.
    Miles Smiles SRCS9114

22. Claude

Claude Senior Member

The SACD is actually from 2000 (the format was launched in 1999), but reused the 1998 CD credits.

This is the worst sounding SACD of the Miles second quintet. Either the recording quality of this session wasn't as good, or something happened with the tape or the mastering.

Here's a review of the sound that I agree with: miles smiles

So there is hope that Mofi can improve the sound, if the tapes have more to offer.

23. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

So far they could improve the sound of every Miles Davis album they worked on.

24. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...so, all of my Miles collection is on Columbia/Legacy except for Bitches Brew and On The Corner, which I have the MFSL SACD’s of. I’m trying to pick another one to purchase. These are a tad pricey so it’s been slow going. I’ve narrowed my choices to the following. Which would you say has the best improvement soundwise?

In A Silent Way
    Filles De Kilimanjaro
    Miles In The Sky

put me in the camp of hopefuls that MFSL does Water Babies as well.

yesstiles likes this.
  25. George P

George P Notable Member

In A Silent Way has the best improvement, IMO.

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.