Miles Davis SACD remasters by Mobile Fidelity *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BSC, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Eckhard

Eckhard Well-Known Member

I hope Shawn R. Britton did the remastering.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  2. George P

George P Notable Member

Rob Hughes and rxcory like this.
  3. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Releasing the mono mix would be out of keeping with MFSL's Miles Davis reissue campaign thus far. But given the theorized issues with the stereo tape as evidenced by sonic problems on 32DP 724 (the only known digital mastering of the original stereo mix) and all other digital releases using one of the stereo remixes, using the mono mix here really makes sense.

The mono mix is simply fantastic, with an even harder-driving edge than the stereo mix. Regardless of mono or stereo, I have been hoping they would not use any of the remixes!

4. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

I really do like the mono mix. I listen to it more than the original stereo mix.

George P and rxcory like this.
  5. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Me too! :edthumbs:

6. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Isn't the Speakers Corner LP supposed to be the original stereo mix? I imagine there would have been lots of complaints if side 2 sounded like the second half of the 32DP CD.

If that LP was a remix I can definitely get behind everything you've said. I personally would have strongly preferred the stereo mix over mono, but as we've messaged many times you probably know my preference for stereo :)

rxcory likes this.
  7. George P

George P Notable Member

So, are folks feeling the Music Direct listing is correct? That the mono is the one we will be getting?

I have never heard the mono, and since I like the mastering of the stereo remix in the Perfect Miles Collection box, it would be cool to get the mono.

8. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

I have the MFSL SACD of 'Miles In The Sky' and it is quite nice. I do prefer this original stereo mix to the 1998 Columbia-Legacy remixed version. I've not heard the SME Japan 2000 remastering, nor the
    Sony Records Int.'l Japan remaster from 2005. I assume the first Japan remaster you are ref. to is the Sony Japan from '97 (?) I have heard that but it has been long ago and I don't own a copy at present with which to compare.

9. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

I much prefer the mono of Miles Smiles. Will the vinyl be the mono mix, too?

10. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

I'm hoping for mono as well.

11. George P

George P Notable Member

You guys must have good health plans.

metalrules, jfeldt and hutlock like this.
  12. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Will be interesting to see the mono released if the listing is correct. I preordered when it was first available to preorder. . I'll look forward to the original stereo mix or the mono!

13. George P

George P Notable Member

I just called music direct and they told me that it is also listed as being mono in their inventory. When I asked if it was possible that it was an incorrect listing, she said she could verify but would need to get back to me via email. I will post their reply once I receive it.

14. George P

George P Notable Member

Music Direct just got back to me, confirming that the Miles Smiles SACD will feature the mono mix.

15. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Awesome! Thanks for the info!

George P likes this.
  16. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

That's really something!

hutlock and George P like this.
  17. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Yay for mono!!

George P likes this.
  18. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

Awesome, indeed. It is superior to the stereo mix. I assume that MFSL will of course use the same master for the vinyl edition.

Speakers Corner told me that their LP of Miles Smiles is stereo because the mono elements were not available (or only in a later generation tape). Wonder how MFSL located them.

Rob Hughes likes this.
  19. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

My understanding is that Speakers Corner cut Miles Smiles in Europe from a European tape copy that was shipped overseas in the ‘60s. I don’t believe Sony would have sent a master tape overseas in 2013.

HDOM likes this.
  20. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

So what mono mixes are still missing digitally. Is it just Someday My Prince Will Come, E.S.P., Sorcerer and Nefertiti?

21. Hank

Hank Senior Member

Also Seven Steps to Heaven...

22. Hank

Hank Senior Member

Also, Someday My Prince Will Come is included in the mono box.

George P likes this.
  23. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Yeah thanks, I meant Seven Steps instead of SMPWC in my original post.

24. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

So with the upcoming MFSL being mono, which is the preferred existing digital stereo version? One of the already-released SACDs (US '98 or JPN '00, neither hybrid)?

25. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

For the original stereo mix the 1st Jpn CD pressing. The remix, I would guess the single layer Sony SACD.