Miles Davis - The Definitive Bootleg Series Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Haven't seen any of them. Interesting!

2. Lonson

Well as "Miles Davis at Fillmore" was one of my introductions to Miles' music in the early 'seventies, a sentimental favorite, and I'd love to see it as it should be, not cut 55 percent or so. Though I suppose that is not the place for this series (though all four shows have been out as bootlegs, a case could be made.) As much 'seventies and late 'sixties stuff that has been released already, there is so much more, and it's great stuff, that could be reissued, and they're top on my list for this series.

I have had all the Coltrane material for years, and in great sound, so I'm less interested in that being included in the series. The Dragon box set is really something!

3. Great thread!

All I can say is whatever is next, I'll be grabbing for sure.

Absolutely love Miles live stuff.

Jam757 likes this.
  4. Lonson

That's the heart of the matter for me too, I'll get whatever is next, for the sonic upgrade as I'm likely to have "unofficial" recordings of whatever they choose.:whistle:

5. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

Aren't we due for some news on the next release in the series? Anyone heard anything? A quick trip around the usual sites didn't turn up anything.

6. Kossjak

Kossjak Forum Resident

The next volume will be the 1969 recording.

7. Lonson

An educated guess?

8. Kossjak

Kossjak Forum Resident

I'd call it "a fact".

9. Lonson

Alright, I'd be more comfortable about the "fact" if I knew the source, but it's not at all disappointing news!

10. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

What is "the 1969 recording"?

11. Lonson

I assumed it to mean the Juan-les Pins concert, one half of which was released officially in Japan, one half of which has not been officially released.

12. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

That's possible, but if they're continuing along the same lines as the previous 1967 release it will probably be shows from the European tour at the end of 1969 (one of which already turned up as a DVD in the last Bitches Brew reissue).

13. Lonson

True, but there's no guarantee that they'll follow "along the same lines as the previous 1967 release" and this might be an easy release for them as I bet all the material is prepared for some time. And it's possible there's video footage.

I don't know specifically, it's just that when someone mentions "the 1969" more times than not this is the material meant. But then again this poster has given us no concrete details of the material nor from whence this "fact" came, so it could all be smoke!

Still your supposition has weight. If they already have a DVD out they would love to sell it to many of us twice! And who knows, maybe that's what the "fact" was supposed to indicate. I shall now cease to speculate without enough real information.

14. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Per previous posts, this has been legitimately released in pretty good sound by Dragon. However, I was surprised to see the Dragon set unavailable, at least on Amazon's US website, commanding pretty high secondhand prices from third-party sellers. So this may be a viable choice.

15. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

Well, it's hard to argue with anything from the 1969 'lost quintet'. I was really hoping (like TWZ) for some of the 1960 European tour, especially since I haven't picked up the Trema releases of the Olympia 3/21/60.

16. evilcat

evilcat Funkier Than A Mosquito's Tweeter

This was pretty easy to find on the high street in the UK for a long time, but was always £25 or more. I have the Trema release of the Coltrane March 1960 concert and it's legit for Europe and sounds great. More from that tour would be good.

Personally, I want the Japanese '75 tour box!

17. Lonson

Thanks to JETman for pointing this out. The next volume will be 1969, three cd, one DVD, Juan les Pins (Antibes), Stockholm and Berlin.

http://www.plosin.com/milesahead/Legacy.html

Kossjack was correct.

Also note: MONO lps! All titles up through Someday My Prince will Come!

18. Should be good. Something else to save for!!

Best Wishes
    David

19. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

Oh hell, yeah!:goodie:

[from the link above]
    "A boxed-set reissue of the first eight Miles Davis Columbia LPs in mono -- 'Round About Midnight, Miles Ahead, Milestones, Jazz Track, Porgy and Bess, Kind of Blue, Sketches of Spain, and Someday My Prince Will Come. The LPs will be pressed on 180-gram vinyl and will come in heavy facsimilies of the original covers. The sources used will be the original mono masters whenever they are available."

MoFi have mono issues (well, there can be no other) of 'Round About Midnight and Milestones in the works too, don't they?

20. Lonson

I think so yes. I chose a good time to get back into vinyl :)

21. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Considering the recent passing of Pete Cosey, I wish for a complete set of every note from the Japan '75 tour.

Of course I wished for it when he was still vertical, but it didn't do any good then either.

22. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

*clears throat* Ahem. Post #2.

And I called the Juan-les-Pins dates as well.

23. Lonson

Okay Roger, yes you guessed correctly.

Kossjack later on said that it was coming out next, and he wasn't guessing or deducing it should be next, he was stating it as a fact.

Glad you were both right!

24. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

Well I'm glad that we will be getting another one, but again, why the DVD? I watched the DVD with the first set once, and the same will happen with this one too. And I have to go through the hassle of getting the audio from the DVD onto my phone, which I can do easily with CDs. Can't there be an option for audio only? I don't want to pay for a disc that I will rarely, if ever access.

25. Lonson

Well, I've watched the DVD with the first volume numerous times, and have listened a few times without watching the video. I don't do music files, don't have music on my phone, so I don't have that to worry about. Looking forward to this new DVD.

fatwad666 likes this.