Miles Davis titles on SACD.....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Oyama, Mar 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oyama

Oyama Senior Member Thread Starter

Hello!

I was wondering if any of the following Miles Davis titles will be available on SACD soon.

1. Miles Ahead
    2. Porgy and Bess
    3. Milestones

I know that they are available as Japanese imports but I wanted to find out if they would be available as a regular SACD title somtime soon, before dishing out the big $$$$ for the imports...

Also, what makes these imports so expensive?

Thanks!:)

Nelson

2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Nelson, I have heard nothing about these Miles Davis titles being released on SACD in North America. The latest Sony SACD catalog ("09.02" catalog) shows Bitches Brew, and I've read some comments on the web about it coming out on SACD this year. That's all I know.

3. petzi

petzi Forum Resident

How much is "expensive"?

4. Oyama

Keith, Thanks...

Petzi, Approximately $50-80 CDN from hmv.com. I guess that’s not really expensive but if you decide to pick up a few SACD imports, it could quickly add up.

5. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Oyama, no problem. About two-and-a-half years ago, I ordered the WHAM! Make it Big SACD from hmv.co.jp since it was (and still is) not available in the US. FedEx shipping was nearly as much as the cost of the disc itself. I paid $43 -- $25 for the disc and $18 for shipping. Great disc, though. :)

6. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I have the three discs that you mentioned. And if you can spring for it get the Porgy and Bess at least. Really great sounding.

7. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Does anyone know the release dates of the current domestic Miles SACDs?

I have "Kind of Blue" and "Miles smiles", which state 1997 and 1998 on the inlay and the SACD-specific sleeve, but this must be the release year of the latest CD versions (the liner notes are from these CD reissues too).

I guess the current Miles Davis SACD have been released already some time ago, in 2000 or 2001, so there haven't been any new reissues lately. I expected Sony to also release "Bitches Brew", "My funny valentine" and other commercially successful Miles albums. Instead, Sony announces CD box sets of the Blackhawk and Jack Johnson sessions. I welcome those, but it would have been better to have them on hybrid SACDs.

8. Oyama

Keith, is there an English page on hmv.co.jp?

Tom, thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely order Porgy and Bess this weekend. :)

9. petzi

petzi Forum Resident

Well I do not know a source in the USA where you might get it for less, maybe someone that is specialized in importing media from Japan and buys SACDs in larger quantities?

But you may want to buy these editions anyway, many of the Japanese editions are not scheduled for release in the USA or Europe for licensing reasons.

10. mjb

mjb Senior Member

Go to the very bottom of the HMV Japan homepage... you'll see in the bottom left corner a link that says "English". Click it, and you should be on your way.

11. Oyama

Thanks mjb! :thumbsup:

12. jdw

jdw Senior Member

Hopefully Sony will wake up and release all the remaining Miles box sets as SACD hybrids. The Blackhawk sessions have already been scheduled, so it's probably too late to re-master that set. Hopefully they will do it for the later releases.

Hopefully Sony won't put out the remaining box sets in 16 bit and take it as an opportunity to re-release ALL the material in SACD just to sell it again. They wouldn't do anything that crass, would they? ;)

john
    vancouver

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.