Miles Davis Walkin' Cookin' Steamin' Relaxin' Workin' - best editions?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by babaluma, Sep 27, 2016.

1. sassi

sassi Forum Resident

I just bought the All Miles box last week. :)

Here are a few pictures of it and the DR readings for all the CDs. To my understanding they are the old OJC masterings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dig
    And Horns
    Collector's Items
    Blue Haze
    Walkin'
    Bags' Groove
    Miles Davis and the Modern Jazz Giants
    The Musings of Miles
    Miles Davis and Milt Jackson Quintet/Sextet
    Miles: The New Miles Davis Quintet
    Steamin' with the Miles Davis Quintet
    Workin' with the Miles Davis Quintet
    Relaxin' with the Miles Davis Quintet
    Cookin' with the Miles Davis Quintet

2. babaluma

babaluma Forum Resident Thread Starter

The Modern Jazz Giants is a brilliant album!

Chemguy and andrewskyDE like this.
  3. Joe P.

Joe P. Forum Resident

Hi Rockman, your collection of these albums/sessions is impressive! Cool. Which of these sound the best? Currently I have the good sounding Walkin' XRCD. But it's only one. And I'm looking for expansion in either separate albums, or, preferably (because one box), The Complete Miles Davis Quintet Legendary Prestige Sessions 4CD-box.

But how good is 'pretty darn good'? :) What would you (or other Miles-experts reading this) advise getting?

4. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

I have those but was able to get the set on JVC XRCD which are an amazing improvement. My "go to" though are the AP vinyl issues.

vudicus likes this.
  5. David Ellis

If the RVG CDs hurt your ears you should look to your system. It must be very bright.

6. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

It's the mastering. Most RVGs sounded awful on my successive systems too.

To each their own.

therockman likes this.
  7. David Ellis

I have to admit to not playing them much
    I have to admit to not playing them much at all in the house as I prefer vinyl but they sound good in the car.

8. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Joe Taratino is a good mastering engineer, but I do not think that he access to the first generation tape for that little box set. It sounds as good as it could considering the source tape. I am loving the new high resolution downloads of these albums from Acoustic Sounds. They sound very, very good. They are affordable as well and I highly recommend this route for any missing titles.

Joe P. and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  9. therockman

My system has nothing at all to do with it, this judgement is system independent. It only has to do with the disc itself.

J.A.W. likes this.
  10. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

That's hardly an ideal environment to judge the sound quality of a disc, but, as I said, to each their own.

AZRunner likes this.
  11. David Ellis

Okay. I just played an RVG CD (Song For My Father)on my system and it is rather bright. Makes sense when you think of all the sound attenuation in a car that a bright CD would sound okay there.
    However, I thought RVG did Blue Note and Miles never recorded for Blue Note so you won't get a RVG Miles anyway.
    Edit. Wrong again. They are on Amazon. Don't know how that worked though

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  12. therockman

In my opinion, Rudy was a fantastic recording engineer but as a mastering engineer for digital releases he was over his head. I believe that by the 1990s Rudy had lost too much of his hearing to make "sound" judgements when it came to digital remastering.

That is simply my opinion.

13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I think you hit the nail on its head.

therockman likes this.
  14. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Well, I have these releases but they're on the Chronicle box set, which I believe was remastered by George Horn (correct me if I'm wrong here, but this is what's listed online at Discogs for the Vinyl set. I have the CD box, which I'm assuming to be the same but I may be incorrect. Can't get the box out right now to check).

Anyone know how Horn's work stands up to what's being recommended in this thread?

15. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The Chronicle CD-set was mastered by Kirk Felton.
    Chronicle: The Complete Prestige Recordings (1951-1956) - Miles Davis | Credits | AllMusic ยป

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  16. Bobby Buckshot

@J.A.W. :tiphat:

Any word on how Felton stacks up in the standings here?

17. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

No idea, I don't read threads and posts on mastering engineers here anymore, they too often turn into personal attacks and insults.

therockman likes this.
  18. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Are you forgetting about the Miles Davis Vol.1 and 2 on Blue Note? Also Rudy was very much involved with Miles' Prestige recordings but Rudy did more than Prestige and Blue Note. I discovered a Verve album with Van Gelder in the deadwax though I can't recall the title. He also recorded for smaller labels from time to time as well so he wasn't locked in to those two labels he is most famously connected either personally or contracturally.

19. therockman

It is not always dependent upon a mastering engineer's skills, often it depends upon access to the original first generation master tape. Felton is a competent engineer but I do not believe that he had access to the first generation tape. Somebody else will chime in if I am mistaken, but that is what I remember reading in these threads here at the Steve Hoffman Forum.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  20. Bobby Buckshot

You inspired me to do a search on the forum and from what I gathered, these are essentially the same mastering as the original OJC CDs. Thanks!

therockman likes this.
  21. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

I know the OP is only interested in cds, but I have an OJC vinyl copy of Workin' and it sounds fabulous. I'm tempted to get the rest mentioned here but the colored vinyl versions through Newbury Comics. Does anyone have any of these?

babaluma likes this.
  22. David Ellis

Thanks for that info. I wasn't aware of Vols 1 & 2 so I'll have to check them out.

therockman likes this.
  23. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I just bought this box set, in it's latest reissue (a compact cube, but I believe they are all the same mastering), it was on sale, nice to have all of this in one place. So at least now I have something to compare to the non-descript masterings on the European ZYX dikipacks I mentioned above.

24. Bobby Buckshot

Congrats on the buy. I like it a lot, so many different musicians with Miles. On the forum search I did, the ZYX digipacks were described as "dubious" fwiw. I have no experience with them so can't say for sure either way.

25. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I got it for a great price. I'm not a huge fan of all of the earlier sessions, but great to have it all. I am out on the road right now, the Chronicle box set is sitting at home waiting for me, I will compare when I get home. Where did you read about the ZYX', here on the forum?