miles davis -which album to buy from electric period?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by benk, Jul 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benk

benk Active Member Thread Starter

Hello everyone,

I recently bought "big fun" cd-
    and i do really enjoy it!
    So my question which cd to buy next?

2. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

In A Silent Way
    B*tches Brew

you cant go wrong with either one of these two...

Folknik and benk like this.
  3. Jack Johnson is absolute desert-island material for me. In A Silent Way too.

On The Corner too, but I wouldn't get it first (meaning not next).

"Go Ahead John" (from Big Fun") is a Jack Johnson outtake, so if you like it, definitely get Jack Johnson too.

EL34, JayB, Purple Jim and 3 others like this.
  4. benk

Yeah !!! got them allready -
    What about water babies?
    Or the live albums?

5. Miche

Miche Forum Resident

We Want Miles
    Superb guitar by Mike Stern on Jean Pierre on this set.

Axis_67 likes this.
  6. The best live electric Miles album for me (currently), is the Bootleg Series, Volume #3.

Before you get Water Babies, just get the Complete In A Silent Way box (3 CD's).

The boxes are really the way to go with all the later Miles studio material. My favorites (in order)...

Jack Johnson box
    On The Corner box
    In A Silent Way box
    B*tch's Brew box

RiRiIII, jdrueke, badsneakers and 4 others like this.
  7. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

To me there are really kind of three Miles electric periods -- the initial more rock-rhythm focused one, the later '70s skronky funk one especially in the bands with Pete Cosey, and the post-comeback one.

My favorite live album from that first period is the under-appreciated Black Beauty; my favorite studio album from the period is In a Silent Way.

My favorite live album from the skronky funk period is Agharta; my favorite studio album from the period is pre-skronk but catches Miles on his way to funkville, Jack Johnson (I never loved On the Corner).

Never was much of a fan of the post-comeback stuff but among that stuff the live album We Want Miles isn't bad.

I mean, if you're really a Miles fan you probably want 'em all (and then some, lots of "unofficial" live releases from Europe), but those are my faves

Harlanator, Campbell Saddler and benk like this.
  8. benk

Black beauty sound interesting-
    What is that record like?

And what about Get up with it?

Mij Retrac likes this.
  9. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Agharta and Pangaea

10. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

A TRIBUTE TO JACK JOHNSON

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  11. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I love 'em both but they're crazy, crazy, crazy.

12. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Get Up with It, like Water Babies and Big Fun, was cobbled together from various studio sessions from 1970-1974 during Miles' retirement/hiatus. I think in a lot of ways those original compilations have been replaced by the "complete sessions" series -- Complete In a Silent Way Sessions, Complete Bitches Brew Sessions, Complete On the Corner Sessions which are probably the best way today to hear that material today vs. those original hiatus-era compilation albums. Like, for example, if you don't have On the Corner or Get Up with It, just by the Complete On the Corner Sessions box

benk likes this.
  13. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Live Miles sounded very different (more free jazz oriented) from studio Miles in this period. Black Beauty is a good representation of this.

Get Up With It is the only studio record including the Pete Cosey era bands. IMO this band was at its best live on Agharta but it's worth hearing this eventually (or getting the On The Corner box which includes all of the album, minus one stray track from the 1970 Jack Johnson era).

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
    benk likes this.
  14. mesfen

mesfen Senior Member

all of 'em!!

15. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

I personally like On The Corner and Get Up With It the best personally. I think Bitches Brew is good but overrated. The bootleg series vol. 3 is very good too.

benk likes this.
  16. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Live Evil is a great one.
    I does have racist artwork though. :tsk:

Brian Cruz likes this.
  17. Dark Magus is awesome as well.

18. Mij Retrac

Racist?
    Anyway the Cellar Door box is great if you like Live Evil.

19. notesofachord

On the front cover: the artist's rendition of a pregnant African woman
    On the back cover: the artist's rendition of a pregnant Caucasian woman
    Also, notice how the word "evil" is shown by the white woman.

[​IMG]

You can make your own judgement.

Ctiger2 likes this.
  20. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

My fav

21. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

:biglaugh:For all that Miles and others went through during those times, do you not feel that he might have had the right to feel a little bit "perturbed"?

He was trying to make the music more accessible to his people, and the cover art of this and other albums reflected that. Therefore, it makes sense that there would be an African woman on the front cover. I believe that the front and back covers were just meant to be "mirror" images. Notice that "Miles Davis Live" backwards is "Selim Sivad Evil".

jeffd7030 likes this.
  22. Mij Retrac

From Wikipedia
    "The album cover was illustrated by artist Mati Klarwein. Klarwein had painted the front cover independently of Davis, but the back cover was painted with a suggestion from Davis:

"I was doing the picture of the pregnant woman for the cover and the day I finished, Miles called me up and said, 'I want a picture of life on one side and evil on the other.' And all he mentioned was a toad. Then next to me was a copy of Time Magazine which had J. Edgar Hoover on the cover, and he just looked like a toad. I told Miles I found the toad.""

Gabe Walters, hutlock and drasil like this.
  23. notesofachord

J. Edgar Hoover in drag with a blonde wig? Yeah, I guess that fits the "evil" tag, but to most people it just looks like that's Miles' opinion of the white race breeding.

Ctiger2 likes this.
  24. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

And if it is, how is that different from the other way around?

Btw, nobody I know or have ever known has ever made that kind of comment about that or any other Miles cover from that time period.

Mij Retrac and hutlock like this.
  25. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

speak for yourself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.