miles davis -which album to buy from electric period?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by benk, Jul 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tone_Boss

Tone_Boss Forum Resident

The simplest way to look at it is, get everything.

Sorge likes this.
  2. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Yep, go for the boxes. You get it all in chronological order with great liner notes.
    Bitches Brew is worth having standalone as well as the box, as the box is a remix
    Also In A Silent Way is gorgeous on the 5.1 SACD
    And many of the live sets discussed are not yet part of boxes

About the only pre-retirement one I would avoid is In Concert, which I find to be a bore. Most of the times I start to listen to that one I tune out before then end of whichever disc I am playing.

3. benk

benk Active Member Thread Starter

The live stuff from that period sound interesting too...
    Ive got bootleg series 2&3...and im interestet in stuff like jack johnsson or the recently bought (super-fantastic) big fun cd...
    What about Dark Magus?

4. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

There isn't any live Miles that sounds much like Jack Johnson or Big Fun. Closest is Live/Evil (=the Cellar Door box), since it is a rare live recording with John McLaughlin.

Dark Magus is from the Cosey period, similar to Agharta.

5. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

In A Silent Way

6. Dark Magus is fantastic. Very raw, maybe sample some of it first (I'm sure there are some Youtube uploads).

7. benk

So what shall i order next?
    Agartha;Pangea;In concert 72 or dark magus?

thank you all for your help!

8. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I would get those in this order:

Dark Magus
    Agharta
    Pangaea
    at least a dozen other Miles albums
    In Concert

benk and Rooster_Ties like this.
  9. badsneakers

badsneakers Well-Known Member

I agree with this guy. But you might have to sell your house :)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  10. Yup, that's pretty much my take too. Agharta and Pangea can both be found pretty cheaply if you keep your eyes out. I think I found used domestic (US) copies for $10 each a couple years ago in a brick-n-mortar (not bad, both being double-discs). I think some (or "the"?) Japanese issue(s) of Agharta have additional material, something like 6 minutes worth (though not noted on any of the packaging, other than the track-times being different).

I would also seriously get the nearly new Bootleg Series #3 release, which (despite what appears to be lots of duplicated songs from disc to disc), is a **REALLY** fantastic release, and maybe the best early 70's live Miles release yet. Fantastically well-recorded, and spectacular performances. Also, not to dis Teo's efforts assembling the double-albums back in the day (with a LOT of creative editing) -- the Bootleg Series #3 set just makes a ton more sense, since the heads to all the tunes are there (which they're not on Teo's cut-down versions).

benk likes this.
  11. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

If you like "Big Fun" already, then you are in for a fun ride! That is one that I am not keen on from the "electric period".

benk likes this.
  12. Tone_Boss

Tone_Boss Forum Resident

Live Evil is worth it just for Sivad alone.

13. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Yes, Live/Evil, or the complete box.

I am always surprised that Jack Johnson and Dark Magus get so much love, as they are the lowest two on my list. We're all different.

14. benk

Yeah youre right-i bought bootleg series
    Unique fantastic performances!!!

15. benk

Well my two miles davis before i bought Big fun recently were jack johnson and in a silent way.
    I guess i will order agartha next..or dark magus (?)

I want to spent a cool miles davis jazz weekend ;-)

16. benk

Well i bought live/evil years ago-and it was good but i can barely enjoy it.
    Big fun seems to be my eye opener for this electric period

17. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Remarkable that Pete Cosey somehow remained so under the radar the rest of his life, even after his work with Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf and Miles Davis. He is the real hero of Dark Magus/Agharta/Pangaea, but in his remaining 37 years really only participated in tributes to his past employers and did a track or two with Herbie Hancock.

slapbass likes this.
  18. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

At this point Jack Johnson would be my cherry-pick.

19. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I had Live Evil but sold it later as it got on my nerves. As recommended above, I'd go for In A Silent Way, Jack Johnson, On The Corner and Get Up With It.

20. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

^This^

21. benk

Yeah absolutely your opinion!
    J.j. &IASW are my favourites along with ...Big fun!

22. michael landes

michael landes Forum Resident

I will speak for myself. When the album was first released, I went to Tower Records and bought a copy.
    I'm a big Miles fan. I picked up the album, saw the cover (eh.) Then turned it over and was so shocked and dismayed
    I walked out without the album. It was years before I checked out the music. The artwork speaks for itself. Who is
    responsible to what degree I wouldn't know. But the finished product is just plain nasty and sad.

23. Stuggy

Stuggy Forum Resident

I thought I read that the back cover was actually Herbert Hoover or whoever the head of the CIA was at the time. It sticks in my head as Herbert hoover cos I'd heard elsewhere that he was a transvestite in private life.

24. Stuggy

Stuggy Forum Resident

I like dark magus a lot and whatever live sets I have from around tehn. I also like the sound the band had around the time of Live In Concert the live set from around the time of On The Corner. I like the way that the '97 cd version of that split sidelong tracks into shorter ones cos it works a bit better on a random playing walkman or when djing.
    I used to prefer it to the actual On The Corner set cos it had less of that incessant typewriter typing sound while featuring most of the rest of the sound.

I wish they would release the On The Corner box in the same book form as they have most of the other box sets that were released centred around individual lps around the same time. Don't know why they haven't. I couldn't afford the price when it was readily available as a box and around $100 or whatever. €75 or something. then it seemed to get pricier and pricier when the others were going down to $15 or something, at least through Amazon.

25. Stuggy

Stuggy Forum Resident

He went through some really bad times apparently. I don't really know what that involved, think it was homelessness and stuff.
    He wound up in Power Tools after Bill Frissell left which I've yet to hear. I liked their lp with Frisell Strange Meeting and tend to really like Shannon jackson . I'm not that familiar with Gibbs though i figure he must be interesting if he joined the Rollins Band.

I'm hoping that this bootleg series extends into 73 before long and includes some visual footage from that year. There are a few sets around but would be nice to get something officially done and hopefully superior quality therefore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.