Miles--Kind of Blue--CBS Gold CeeDee

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereo71, Apr 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereo71

stereo71 Senior Member Thread Starter

Does anybody have a recommendation, pro or con,
    on the sound quality of the CBS Mastersound issue?
    Is there a better ceedee, or is this worth having?

My only other version is the remastered issue of
    a couple years ago.

What do you think?

--Roger

2. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

Well, as I understand it, the main selling of this CD reissue when it was released is that it was the first time that the label had corrected the tape speed, whereas all previous issues were issued so that the release played back slightly faster than the band played. I also read that the subsequent silver CD reissue used the same remastering as was used in the gold CD, so I don't guess there's much reason to get the gold CD unless you just want the recording on a gold disc.

3. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Well, after buying and listening to the SACD multichannel disc, I turned my Mastersound into a wall clock in my office :love:

4. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

The gold disc did use the correct speed. Much was made of this in the liner notes. Since this amounted to about a quarter-tone, I'm not sure anyone but a musician would have noticed without a timer.

5. stereo71

I seem to remember reading a review of the
    5.1 KOB that mentioned Miles' trumpet was mixed
    to the rear on some tracks--or am I confusing
    this with another release? Kind of wondering here
    how you'd go about mixing a 3-track original into
    surround.

Yes, the 97 remaster, which is now the mid-line
    Columbia Legacy, sounds quite nice to me...
    If the Gold is the same mastering, I don't need
    it just for its color. Bet it made a great-looking
    clock face!:laugh:

On the Legacy issue the notes say "remixed from the
    original three-track tapes...using a Presto all-tube
    three-track recorder", engineered by Mark Wilder.
    Also mentioned is the speed correction.

The Gold issue predates this, doesn't it? And if so,
    is it a different mastering?

--Roger

6. GabeG

GabeG New Member

This title has been remastered to death, even just looking at the cd issues. The legacy mixed from the presto is not the same mastering as the gold disc.

Also, in Japan they released a DSD mastered cd after the presto issue.

7. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Both remasterings are by Mark Wilder, and both are speed-corrected on the three affected tracks. The gold disc does not include the alternate take of "Flameco Sketches," the bonus track on the '97 issue.

Unfortunately the remasterings are not dated, so I don't know if they're the same.

8. Rspaight

Rspaight New Member

The SACD 5.1 mix has the players spread across the front three channels, with the rears used primarily for ambience. I don't recall anything important coming from the rears only.

It's very nice, by the way. :)

Ryan

9. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

That is exactly how the mix is in 5.1. There's no discreet information coming from the rears, only ambiance. Personally, IMHO, there is nothing special about that 5.1 mix. To me it sounds better in the stereo mix. I think the Bass gets lost in the mutlichannel mix and it doesn't really open the soundstage much.

10. ATR

ATR Senior Member

I had the original CD release, now have the Mastersound disc and passed on the remaster with outtakes because both are speed corrected. I've heard the SACD demo'ed. Interesting point of view on the speed correction. Have you A/B'ed for comparison? I wonder if you feel the same way about the speed corrected version of Beggars Banquet. I'm not a musician but I can hear the difference and I feel the speed corrected version of both these recordings is the one to have. In the case of KOB, the mid price version with outtakes is the one I would get. There's a Sony website that has some nice interactive stuff for the midprice disc. I liked the presence of the bass on the SACD but the overall presence and soundstage didn't seem that much improved in SACD. As pointed out, most of the enhancement comes from the center channel addition. Smoking a fine cigar while listening always improves the experience.

11. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I have both the Gold and remaster. I think the remaster sounds way better than the Gold disc. Time to turn that Gold sucker into a clock!

12. tomcat

tomcat Senior Member

...and the added first take of "Flamenco Sketches" on the Legacy remaster is much more beautiful than the originally issued version!!!
    I LOVE that sax solo by John Coltrane. I have to confess that every time I hear the very first notes, it literally brings tears to my eyes...
    Thomas

13. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

As I said, I read when the 97 remaster was issued after the gold CD that the mastering was the same on both. In this case, it looks like the silver disc is actually the superior one because it includes a bonus track that was not on the gold CD.

14. GabeG

GabeG New Member

Actually, the '97 silver disc is a different mastering than the gold disc. I believe they did not use the Presto on the gold disc -- this was also mentioned in ICE at the time.

15. stereo71

Thanks guys! I think I'll stick with the 97
    remaster. Will try the SACD if I can find it
    reasonably priced.

--Roger

16. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member

Hi Roger,

Maybe a little after the fact now, but this title on SACD is well worth it! I have a recent 20 bit remaster redbook that is pretty decent as well, but the SACD is MUCH better.

17. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Agreed... I have the JPN DSD mastered CD. The SACD is a clear winner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.