Miles Smiles Mofi Hybrid SACD - When Is It Out?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by auralden, Nov 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. auralden

auralden Forum Resident Thread Starter

Does anyone know when Miles Smiles is coming out? I have all the Mofi Hybrid SACDS of the second great quintet starting from E.S.P., to Sorcerer, Nefertiti, Miles in the Sky, and Filles de Kilimanjaro. Miles Smiles is the last one left to complete the collection.

2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I was under the impression that title was not planned to be a Mobile Fidelity Lab SACD. . . .

audiomixer and George P like this.
  3. auralden

Oh... any idea why?

4. Lonson

No, no idea why. I'd love to see it. On this board it was reported that there are no further titles planned. I'd love to see the entire Columbia catalogue done. . .more's the pity.

MagicAlex and auralden like this.
  5. auralden

Hmm... found this on Stereophile from Jan 2016 - "John K. Wood of Mobile Fidelity says the label will reissue Miles Smiles and E.S.P., the quintet's earliest and greatest albums, later this year. That's worth getting excited about."
    Read more at Miles on MoFi (45rpm)

6. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

A few people, including myself, contacted MFSL about it a while ago and we all got the same response: there'll be no Miles Smiles MFSL SACD. I don't know if licensing from Sony is a problem and/or if the tapes are good enough; I read somewhere that they are not in a good condition. Hopefully they'll change their mind.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    auralden likes this.
  7. chaz

chaz Senior Member

8. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I saw an MFSL ad in 2016 announcing a Miles Smiles SACD, but that was the only time I read something about it, nothing after that. As I said upthread they told me and others that a Miles Smiles SACD is not scheduled for the near future.

auralden likes this.
  9. auralden

chaz likes this.
  10. Lonson

I saw that too. My theory is that someone confused "Miles in the Sky" with "Miles Smiles;" "Miles in the Sky" came out later that year.

auralden and eelkiller like this.
  11. JohnnyD

JohnnyD Forum Resident

I received the 2018 music direct catalog today and they do list Miles Smiles as 180g LP or SACD so hopefully still a go from MoFi.

12. Lonson

That's potentially some rockin' good news. ;)

In the meantime I really like the sound of the Blu-Spec CD2 from Sony, and the material from this album in the most recent Bootleg Series release.

ciderglider, dzhason and auralden like this.
  13. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Surprised there is not more buzz about this title being listed for 2018.

beverett, dzhason and auralden like this.
  14. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

I seem to recall Porgy and Bess being listed as well in that 2018 catalog as a SACD hybrid (not sure about vinyl).

dzhason and auralden like this.
  15. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Yeah, I got the catalog the other day too and happened to be looking at it just now and noticed a pic of an Original Master Recording for Miles Smiles on the back cover, then I flipped to the Miles section inside where I also noticed both Miles Smiles and Porgy listed as both LP and SACD. I didn’t see any item numbers, and I didn’t them listed in the rear of the catalog, though. They aren’t listed on either Music Direct’s or Mofi’s site. A quick Google search for it only turned up this thread, ha! But, yeah, hopefully those will turn up, I’d love to complete my MoFi LP collection of the 2nd Quintet albums (+Porgy). On Lonson’s suggestion, a few months ago I also picked up the Blu-spec 2 version of Miles Smiles, and I concur that it is very nice.

auralden likes this.
  16. ralf11

ralf11 Forum Resident

17. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    ispace, Starwanderer and RubenH like this.
  18. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

19. Lonson

The long (my guess) wait begins.

bruce2 likes this.
  20. granola

granola Forum Resident

Miles Davis - Miles Smiles (Hybrid SACD)

“October 19, 2018"

http://www.amazon.com/Miles-Smiles-Davis/dp/B07G1YTQ86

Sorcerer likes this.
  21. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Amazon's release dates for Mobile Fidelity are meaningless in my opinion. Last year they listed the Mobile Fidelity Rickie Lee Jones SACD with a release date of December 2017. I was gullible and looking forward to it, but of course it wasn't released and now never will be.

Sorcerer and MikeT like this.
  22. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

Import CDs and their U.K. version WOWHD also have this date.

23. Lonson

The Music Direct page for the SACD says that it is the mono mix. Hope this turns out to be true. No such mention for the 2 x 45 rpm LPs.

24. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

Amazon lists Miles Smiles MSFL as coming out on Dec. 14th, but they’re usually behind the count with everything they list on their pages, so I’ll believe it when I actually see it.

auralden and George P like this.
  25. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

WOW now have the release date as 14 December as well, it was previously 31 November.

Rob Hughes likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.