Miley Cyrus and Her Dead Petz - free album drop

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlimburg, Aug 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kakkai-Kuainen

Kakkai-Kuainen Forum Resident

It's not, but that's the album I remember liking the most.

I skimmed through some tracks yesterday and liked some, wasn't really feeling others. Seems like I'll end up being fairly indifferent to it once I give it a full listen, though I am not in any rush to do so.

2. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

So there's no where I can legitimately download this? I have to fricking stream it....?

3. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

She said in an interview about the VMAs that she doesn't listen to the music (pop) on those shows anyway. .

4. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Have you listened to this whole album front-to-back? Honest answer.

D.D.

Gaslight likes this.
  5. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

No, and I made no comment to that effect. I gave it a couple minutes, enough to know that I couldn't listen to it on account of the mastering. It really must amaze and hurt people that sound quality might be an issue open for debate on this forum. I'm sure there are plenty of trouble-free Miley fan sites where that would not be an issue; although you might receive some trolling from Nikki Minaj fans.

6. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Well, you're in a forum with a bunch of old men in it. I don't know why everybody's so surprised at the reaction.

7. Diamond Dog

Then why don't you do folks a favour and sit this one out ?

D.D.

D.H., ralphb and phish like this.
  8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Huh. A Miley Cyrus thread devolves into a lot of bickering. Who'd have thunk?

starduster, Fullbug, ralphb and 2 others like this.
  9. dkmonroe

You'd almost think that this forum was largely the diametric opposite of her target audience.

This Heat and ralphb like this.
  10. Tyler Chastain

Tyler Chastain Forum Resident

My thoughts exactly.

dkmonroe likes this.
  11. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I'll just be hiding over in the Abbey Road Weakest Link thread.

12. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Meh! I can hear a couple of hits on the album, but I can't imagine her father auditioning "Bang Me Box" with her in the room! Sounds creepy.

The compression is part of the sound.

I'll bet that if there was a link, it was removed. Now, i'll read the rest of the thread. :)

So, why is it that if an album doesn't appeal to an older person, there has to somehow be a "target audience"?

13. dkmonroe

You've got it backwards - albums and artists generally have target audiences, and sometimes guys in their 50's and 60's don't make the cut.

14. Grant

Average people (non-technical types) tend to say everything concerning a computer is a download", or that a hard drive is "memory".

Interesting.

I suggest that if older folks don't like it, they can go to something they are more familiar or comfortable with.

nbakid2000 and D.H. like this.
  15. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Please keep on topic. If you're here just to make fun of MC, go somewhere else and waste your time, as your posts will be deleted, you'll be thread-banned and possibly lose some posting privileges here.

Thanks!

16. Grant

You will never convince me that artists have target audiences in mind. Maybe the record labels do, but the artists don't.

17. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Who were the Beatles' "target audience"?

18. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

I made an innapropriate comment in this thread. I know better than to judge anyone's taste in music, I certainly listen to stuff others would find unlistenable. It is not my place to decide what is good or bad, other than for myself. I apologize.

Tristero, ralphb, phish and 3 others like this.
  19. dkmonroe

OK, but surely you can imagine that Miley Cyrus wasn't thinking about appealing to middle-aged classic rock fans when she made this album.

Anyway, my actual point is not about what Miley Cyrus does or does not do, but what people who visit this forum every day expect of it. If someone is expecting a new Miley Cyrus album to get an uncritical reception at this forum, that's a rather forlorn hope. That may be unpalatable to many people and seem grossly unfair, but it's the truth.

20. dkmonroe

[​IMG]
    That was easy.

starduster likes this.
  21. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

You are forgiven, son. :hugs:

22. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

I dunno. Her public persona gets on my nerves, but she is only 22 (?) years old, hasn't had a real childhood as far as I know and is desperately trying to leave the Disney Club cutie image behind and reinvent herself as an oversexualized neo-hippie to be taken seriously as an artist. BUT.... she has an unique voice and she sings really well imo. The problem with this new album for me is, that I can't find the Flaming Lips/Wayne Coyne production style very interesting any more. All this plodding plastic psychedelic stuff, that was exciting 15 years ago, sounds suddenly very depressing to me. What an irony, a 22 year old wannabe serious artist has recorded the midlife-crisis album for a 54 year old desperately trying to not grow up wannabe hipster.... BTW, anybody knows what Lady Gaga is doing these days?

23. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

BTW, the link works for me:

http://mileycyrusandherdeadpetz.com/

I am listening to "Cyrus Skies" while writing this and the song isn't bad at all. The production works on this one.

24. Diamond Dog

I don't think anyone is expecting any artist's work to be beyond criticism here - that's not the point. I listened to the album yesterday front-to-back just to see what it was all about. IMO it's wayyyyy too long, kinda self-indulgent, and, as I am not the biggest fan of the Flaming Lips or their modus operandi, it sounded a bit too much influenced by Coyne & Co. for my tastes. That being said, it was refreshing to see a contemporary pop artist go down a different road than just releasing another collection of club bangers. It was also a better listen than I was expecting. Not the worst thing I've ever heard by any stretch. Not something I'll be adding to my collection, but so what?

Criticism is fair - it's the knee-jerk cranky nonsense being spewed all too readily by people here who all-too-predictably crap all over a thread like this who haven't even been bothered to listen to the album but find it no bother at all to break bad all over it that has gotten really old here. That's not legitimate criticism. That's babalooey. And it's been getting piled high and deep in too many threads here, usually by the same suspects. There is absolutely no reason that people here shouldn't be able to carry on a civil discussion here about this or any other music without being inundated with that crap. As to the Forum's apparent demographics, if the average SHV member is middle-aged, then there is even less excuse for this kind of conduct. After all, it appears that we're all old enough to know better, right?

D.D.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2015
    pablorkcz, Scopitone, phish and 6 others like this.
  25. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Really enjoying this 8 songs in. Not a big F. Lips fan, but I do like it when they back other singers. This reminds me a bit of the singer EMA, wedding sci-fi motifs to pop tunes. Would definitely buy this, and right now I think Myley is truly fearless, a real artist unafraid to follow her creative impulses. To think she still hasn't released the Backyard Sessions yet. She's on a roll and quite intent on growing, stretching.Good for her, and for anyone with the open ears to hear her.

PHILLYQ, Gaslight and Diamond Dog like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.