Miley Cyrus and Her Dead Petz - free album drop

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlimburg, Aug 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

I still maintain she's a good singer. Her performance of 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover on the SNL Anniversary show was great.

starduster, BKphoto and PHILLYQ like this.
  2. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Yeah, because young male artists like Justin Beiber and One Direction always get a pass from the crowd here. :rolleyes:

Please, let's not make Miley Cyrus into a victim because she's female. Everybody here has some female artists that they like, and most of those who reject her reject a a lot of other current artists.

3. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

Hey, that Karen song is by far the best thing I've heard her do. It's not gonna sell like "Wrecking Ball" but it's a superior song IMO. If her new stuff tanks I hope she doesn't lose the courage to keep exploring. Her label no doubt will try to keep her doing pop/bringing in the $$$.

4. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

When you think a thread is dumb, it's time to leave said thread.

e.s. and Gaslight like this.
  5. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

This is pretty great...
    Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds - The Flaming Lips ft. Miley Cyrus & Moby

*possibly nsfw

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
    leeroy jenkins likes this.
  6. Bosch

Bosch Member

Miley's going to have to try a lot harder than that.

I'm reminded of David Bowie's thoughts on Madonna:

Off the top of my head, just in my lifetime, I've lived through: 'Auntie Rotter'; Andy Warhol; 'I'm Waiting For The Man'; 'Ziggy Stardust'; Ozzy Osbourne biting the head off a bat; Alice Cooper convincing everyone he was the Anti-Christ; Robert Mapplethorpe; Wayne/Jayne County; Divine eating a dog turd; Lydia Lunch; 'The Rocky Horror Show'; 'Deep Throat'; 'Cowboys are Frequently Secretly Fond Of Each Other'; the banning of 'Salo'; Patti Smith; 'Glad To Be Gay'; The Sex Pistols; 'Dawn Of The Dead'; Hot Gossip; 'Golden Brown'; 'Like A Virgin'; 'Darling Nikki'; hardcore; Chrissie Amphlett urinating on stage; The Angels singing 'Am I Ever Gonna See Your Face Again?' and the audience chanting 'No Way! Get F**ked! F**k off!'; Jeff Koonz; 'Death Valley '69'; Frankie Goes To Hollywood; 'Blue Velvet'; the video to 'Boys (Summertime Love)' by Sabrina; 'Hellraiser'; N.W.A.; 'Basic Instinct'; Madonna's 'Sex Book'; 'Be Aggressive; 'Cop Killer'; 'Natural Born Killers'; Queerpunk; Riot Grrl; the tray of Sonic Youth's 'Dirty'; the unbanning of 'Salo'; My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult; Marilyn Manson convincing everyone he was the Anti-Christ; Andres Serrano; the re-banning of 'Salo'; Gangster Rap; a mainstream country legend singing 'Cowboys are Frequently Secretly Fond of Each Other'; the violence of 'The Walking Dead' creating no controversy whatsoever; and the re-unbanning of 'Salo'.

I've even lived through multiple attempts by Squeaky Clean Pop Princesses to gain artistic credit by amping up their sexuality and recording with rock artists, a genre which includes 'Jagged Little Pill' - one of the best selling mainstream albums of all time - or a song like this:

So along comes Miley: a sheltered, privileged, rich white girl who thinks her desperate attempts at being shocking equate with her being a ground-breaking artiste, convinced that singing about liking weed in 2015 is edgy. How quaint. Miley: 1970's suburbia called: it wants its subversion back. It's also lightweight of her: all the suburban kidz 'round our way are hooked on Oxy or Ice.

I'm with Bowie: Conventional in the extreme. She's not even noteworthy enough to be the only "Disney Kid Gone Bad!"

7. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

when she stays within her range, on songs like "adore you" for instance, she's fine. when she tries to stretch like on some of the songs on this new album, she's a mess. I will give her credit for not relying on auto-tune and being willing to be off-pitch so frequently but it ain't pretty.

8. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

After the 700th reference to pot smoking (and who knows how many sex references) the whole Ms. Bohemia thing got pretty tiresome for me. I suppose each generation thinks they're the first to discover these things, but I wish she'd shut up about it.

You're absolutely right and it's quite common in dance music, one can't compare the "proper" DR of a jazz album to what artists intentionally create to pump out of club speakers. Whether the trend will destroy music is an open question, but there's no sense faulting the mastering for accurately reproducing what the artist intended.

Her cover of Dylan's You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go was surprisingly good as well. She's outgrown her teenybopper stuff is trying to transition into something more serious and viable, as she's been doing for a few years now. I only made it through the first 5 or so songs on here before my annoyance (see above) got the better of me. Then again, I felt the same way about Exile in Guyville the first 3 or 4 times I heard it and that became one of my favorites of that era. I kind of doubt this one will ever get more than mixed feelings from me, but I find it hard to dislike the gal for trying although I do wish she'd focus on finding something to actually say beyond "I like sex and drugs" and I just didn't hear it in the portion I listened to. The Lip's contributions seemed kind of forced and generic and the whole thing lacked any psychedelic insight - maybe if I sparked up I'd feel differently. Probably if I sparked up with some twerking 22 years olds who didn't call me grandpa I'd think it was great :whistle: If it leads some younger folks to open their musical horizons I guess it's OK by me, period, and I'll doubtless give it another listen or two...maybe it will grow on me.

Tristero and nitsuj like this.
  9. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident

I am in my 40's, the bulk of my tastes break down like this: 50% Grateful Dead and 50% Random (Anita O'Day, Black Flag, Com Truise, Chet Atkins, Digable Planets, Johnny Cash, Doors, Pearl Jam, Pretty Lights, Willie Nelson, Fugazi, Beatles, D'angelo, The Police, Tony Rice, Mike Jones {don't act like you don't know the name}, Joe Jackson, Beasties, Steely Dan, Rush, Grant Green, Tribe Called Quest, Jazz with Bob Parlocha, Jane's addiction, etc.). And, I freely admit to performing Party In the USA via my friends karaoke machine at their Halloween party last year. I also know all the words to The Best of Both Worlds thanks to my daughters (I have forgiven them)

Of course her album is about her, and sex, and drugs. This is "Popular" music we are talking about. Nothing has changed, Anita was subversively riffing on these topics in the 50's (and partaking in them), along with every other artist in my shortlist above. Miley is just trying to make sense of herself, her independence, and the world around her. Just like all of us (except at 22 I was dropping classes, not international albums). Can it be annoying? Of course. I was pretty much an ignorant self-absorbed imbecile until I hit my late 20's. I tend to give the same quarter to those in transition as well.

I listened to most of her album and I did enjoy about 40% of it. 23 tracks is Miley overload for this Grandpa. I liked the ambient-electro vibe stuff. Slab of Butter is pretty solid. I also heard some nice acoustic work splashed around occasionally. She does have a nice voice (could do without the spoken word as mentioned above).

Good for Miley. I hope she continues to explore the musical world outside of pop (and heaven forbid "New Country"), and allow it to further infiltrate her future work.

Peace and Love

10. Buddhahat

Buddhahat Forum Resident

I'm about 6 or 7 tracks in. This sounds like The Terror/Peace Sword but poppier. Love it so far. It sounds like the Flaming Lips with Miley vocals to me so I'm surprised they're not putting it out as a joint release.

starduster likes this.
  11. Stump

Stump Forum Resident

The Album sounds good to me.Bring on the Vinyl Release .:righton:

12. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

That's a GREAT LIST!
    But, you forgot Karen Finnley, Diamanda Galas, and.......... the fact that there was once upon a time when people wanted some sort of legislation to ban (or 'label') 'dirty music'.
    And now... you can barely get a yawn out of an audience now.

nitsuj likes this.
  13. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

So, it's only pop music if you don't like it, right? I think it's pretty funny that a lot of you are calling this album a break from pop music. It's still a pop album! Hah! I think a lot of you like it just because the Flaming Lips are in on it, and you can relate to that. If Max Martin had been in it, you'd be trashing it.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
    nitsuj likes this.
  14. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

So in your opinion, the people enjoying this album are enjoying it for the wrong reasons so they aren't really enjoying it, or at least not enjoying it in a Grant-approved way so the enjoyment is invalid? C'mon man....

D.D.

e.s., Dudley Morris, Oatsdad and 2 others like this.
  15. dkmonroe

So, what's worse - failing to enjoy this album, or enjoying it for the wrong reasons?

( I note that "Karen Don't Be Sad" sounds very much like a John Lennon-type sentimental ballad, so I expect that saying you like that track will soon get you on the $h!t list :laugh:)

Diamond Dog likes this.
  16. phish

phish Jack Your Body

I didn't take that from his comment. I thought he was disputing the fact of whether it's a pop album or not.

Grant and zen like this.
  17. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Outside of Kate Bush, what female artists get significant praise and very little dissing on this forum? I don't mean a few posters here and there, I mean big picture.

Black Magic Woman likes this.
  18. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Paging John Waters. He needs to feature her in a film.

19. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

For some reason I tend to prefer artists that "release" albums, not "drop" them. Weird.

tages and zen like this.
  20. zen

zen Senior Member

For those who think it's good, would you pay full price for it?

Grant and noyoucmon like this.
  21. dkmonroe

We had a thread here about "what are your favorite female artists" and most posters could offer several. Patti Smith seems to get a lot of respect. So does Grace Slick, Janis Joplin, Stevie Nicks. If you can't see female artists getting praise on this forum, you're not paying attention. And they get slagged too by some, as do Mick Jagger, Jimmy Page, Ritchie Blackmore, Eric Clapton, Ted Nugent, the list of male artists who get both praise and condemnation is impressively long.

But anyway, I stand by my contention that people here don't necessarily reject Miley's new music because she's young and female, and a new Justin Beiber album would get pretty much the same reaction. A lot of people here just don't like current pop music and prefer stuff that's 30+ years old. We all know this.

BluesOvertookMe and starduster like this.
  22. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

Is this a typical profile of a forum member?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
    paulisdead, e.s., pablorkcz and 3 others like this.
  23. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

Norah Jones, Bonnie Raitt, Linda Ronstadt ...off the top of my head

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  24. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

The 'Karen' song kind of builds but doesn't really go anywhere, doesn't seem to have a mid-section. Her voice doesn't really strike me as distinct or great; I guess she's kind of more a 'personality' at this point - like a real live Bratz doll. But better to team with the Lips than some rote pop producer, I suppose. This is the first Miley Cyrus song I've ever listened to, btw. Just my review.

vince likes this.
  25. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

128 ?

vince and Gaslight like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.