Milt Jackson / Modern Jazz Quartet recommendations

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pig whisperer, Dec 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member Thread Starter

I heard my first Jazz CD with a vibraphone and loved the sound of the instrument.

Anything you would recommend by Milt Jackson or the Modern Jazz Quartet?

Which album is his/their "Dark Side Of The Moon/Sgt. Pepper" -- something that is out of the ordinary - out of this world? (you know what I mean)

Which are the best CD versions?

Any other vibraphone albums you can think of? I would like to get a couple more.

BTW, I should add that up tempo is probably better (the album I got into today was Cal Tjader). Although, I did listen to samples of the laid back "Sunflower" and it sounded pretty good.

How about Bobby Hutcherson?

2. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I like jazz a lot, but I have difficulty getting into the MJQ and other "third-stream" jazz/classical fusion artists. I, too, would like to hear other members' suggestions as to a good entry point into their catalog.

3. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

That double live album "The Last Concert" is really a great way to check them out. Sound quality I found to be completely satisfing. I've not heard the CD, but it sound sound fine.

4. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

The MJQ is not for everybody, but if you do like the vibraphone, then almost any CD that is available might be a good choice.

The MJQ made dozens of albums, but not only a portion is available on CD. Fortunately most of their best albums are available. The live album "For Connie" is excellent, and I think that is a good entry point to them.

5. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I had a slightly similar experience, except it began with a strong dislike of that sound. And I never knew whether it was a xylophone, mallets, or whatever.

Anyway, I suddenly realized I liked it, when it's not too loud. Must have been when I got into my exotica phase :). And it seems I now notice it a lot as a detail I hadn't previously observed on old pop records.

I have the 2 disk MJQ concert cd that has been mentioned, and would recommend it. I also have a disk called Pyramid by them, which I like.

I recently got one of those Bobby Hutcherson cd's OBLIQUE, as it was on sale, apparently because of a remastered edition (recommended by Ron Stone IIRC) now being available. But I haven't listened to it yet.

But I'll make a definite recommendation on a Gary Burton cd called GOOD VIBES. Perhaps because it gave a jazz fusion treatment of some pop tunes I already knew, it was very easy to dig.

6. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I'd recommend these Milt Jackson recordings away from the MJQ, they are a lot more "intense":
    Meet Milt Jackson - Savoy (1949, 1954-1956; with tenor saxophonist Lucky Thompson on the 1956 recordings, and other tenor saxophonists)
    The Jazz Skyline - Savoy (1956; with Lucky Thompson)
    Jackson's Ville - Savoy (1956; with Lucky Thompson)
    Plenty, Plenty Soul - Atlantic (1957; with alto saxophonist Cannonball Adderley or Lucky Thompson)
    Bags' Opus - United Artists/Blue Note (1958; with trumpeter Art Farmer and tenor saxophonist Benny Golson)
    Bean Bags - Atlantic/Koch (1959; with tenor saxophonist Coleman Hawkins)
    Bags Meets Wes! - Riverside/DCC or OJC (1961; with guitarist Wes Montgomery)
    Big Bags - Riverside/OJC (1962; big-band recordings)
    Invitation - Riverside/OJC (1962; with trumpeter Kenny Dorham and tenor saxophonist Jimmy Heath)
    Milt Jackson and Big Brass: For Someone I Love - Riverside/OJC (1963; big-band recordings)
    Milt Jackson Quintet Live at the Village Gate - Riverside/OJC (1963; with Jimmy Heath)

Have fun!

mpayan, MicJames and Tommyboy like this.
  7. 22dRow

22dRow New Member

Fontessa is a high point.

8. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I love most of Bobby Hutcherson's 1965-1969 Blue Note recordings. His music in those years often straddles the line between hard bop and free jazz.

My Hutcherson recommendations (they're all on Blue Note):
    Dialogue (1965; with trumpeter Freddie Hubbard, tenor saxophonist Sam Rivers and pianist Andrew Hill)
    Components (1965; with Freddie Hubbard and pianist Herbie Hancock)
    Happenings (1966; with Herbie Hancock)
    Stick-Up! (1966; with tenor saxophonist Joe Henderson and pianist McCoy Tyner)
    Oblique (1967; with Herbie Hancock)
    Patterns (1968)
    Total Eclipse (1968; with tenor saxophonist Harold Land)
    Medina (1968-1969; with Harold Land)
    San Francisco (1970; with Harold Land)
    and two from the 1980s, not on Blue Note:
    Good Bait/Color Schemes - 32Jazz (2 CDs; 1984/1985)
    In the Vanguard - Landmark or 32Jazz (1986)

mpayan likes this.
  9. I don't care much for classical, but I do like the MJQ's adaptation of classical forms. I really like the LP that's either known as No Sun In Venice or One Never Knows, although my clean bullseye mono sounds like dog#$*( and I can imagine what the stereo sounds like.

10. Brian J

Brian J Forum Resident

With the MJQ, I suggest Fontessa, Django, The Last Concert, and Concorde. Outside of the MJQ, there Coleman Hawkins w/ Milt Jackson, Very Tall (Oscar Peterson w/Milt Jackson). He also did some work with one of my favorite pianists, horace Silver. On his own I recommend Plenty, Plenty Soul.
    Outside of Milt Jackson I like Gary Burton. The German ECM vinyl really gets the vibraphone to sing. For something a little older I like Lionel Hampton. This man seemed to always have a big grin going and it truely shows in his performances.

Brian

11. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Pyramid. If you only own one MJQ, this (IMO) is the one to get.

kevinsinnott likes this.
  12. vette442

vette442 Senior Member

Milt Jackson was the reason I got into jazz of that era about 10 years ago, and I have over 30 of his albums now. I think I just gave the MFSL Very Tall LP a chance back in the day and ended up loving it. (I'm a huge Oscar Peterson fan now too). I also like Milt's solo stuff over MJQ as well.

I'll second the recommendation for the Very Tall album with Oscar Peterson - the finale of Reunion Blues has some killer piano/vibes runs in it - , and Bags Meets Wes as well as other Riverside titles mentioned. I also really like several Pablo titles like Milt Jackson Montreux '75, Milt Jackson and Ray Brown Jam (Montreux '77) and Olinga as well for his later work. Miles Davis and the Modern Jazz Giants is a good earlier album too.

13. innercircle

innercircle Forum Resident

Ray Charles-Milt Jackson Soul Brothers-Soul Meeting It's an excellent Blues-Jazz album, the one that I have is a chubby jewel case, its an early press though, sounds pretty good.
    Personaly I can't get to the Modern Jazz Quartet, they use too much the vibes, I don't like that sounds on Jazz music, not so excesive, sometimes I think they abuse of the vibes.

mdm08033 likes this.
  14. mtodde

mtodde New Member

I really like Django & Bags Meets Wes

15. b&w

b&w Forum Resident

If you want something a little later from his career and live try the 'mostly duke' title. It's from 1982 gig at Ronny Scott's club. He is SMOKIN' on this disc and it simply will move you. Great stuff...

16. pig whisperer

Thanks for the recommendations. I've spent the afternoon listening to Vibe samples of MJ/ MJQ and Gary Burton, Bobby Hutcherson, Cal Tjader.

I like some of the recommendations :thumbsup: , but I've found that I like the vibes married to a Latin beat. I keep going back to the Tjader stuff. :righton:

Thanks again :wave:

One of the Tjader I just sampled, "Amazonas," has Tjader taking more of a back seat. This one features George Duke on keyboards - I recognize his sound from the Zappa albums. On my list along with "Sunflower"

17. Elegy

Elegy Forum Resident

The vibes are used very tasteful in the Dave Holland Quintet's recordings under the ECM label. To be more specific, Points Of View, Prime Directive and Not For Nothin'. Steve Nelson is the artist in question. Not my instrument of choice when it comes to jazz but his use of the instrument is quite good. Sorry to get things off track. Just trying to be helpful.

18. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi,

For the MJQ, get Fontessa (Atlantic 1231-2) and get Concorde! Both are essential. Both CDs are well mastered. If you can find the 2-track reel tape of Fontessa, it is in true stereo and an experience.

19. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

It may sacrilege to list these in the same breath as the classic 50's MJQ output, but I always enjoyed the two Apple releases, especially SPACE.

20. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Nothing at all wrong witgh the Apple releases, Space is a very cool album!!!!

21. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Agree. And Fontessa, MJQ and Django are very important records.

22. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

I've only heard their Concierto De Aranjuez; the version I know is on the 1963 -iirc- MJQ With Laurindo Almeida LP.

It's a side-long dirge, really, but a lovely one at that :).

23. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Try Herbie Mann "Flautista" if you like you vibes with a latin flavor.

Blues on Bach is another good MJQ classical adaptation - especially around the holidays.

European Concert is my personal MJQ favorite. I am surprised that out of the 15 MJQ discs I have, I don't have Fontessa. Will have to correct that soon.

24. mtodde

mtodde New Member

The Stan Getz/Cal Tjader Sextet may be worth checking out if you like MJQ with a Latin twist.

Jackie P likes this.
  25. pig whisperer

I've just stumbled upon this Miles Davis session from December 24, 1954 (51st Anniversary tomorrow) called "Bags Groove" with Milt Jackson, Sonny Rollins, Thelonius Monk, Percy Heath and Kenny Clarke. I've never heard of this one before.

Wow, up-tempo Miles - no muted horn and a little vibraphone to make it sing. (this will go nicely with my "Kind Of Blue"):righton:

This has been released on CD a few times (at the bottom on the link). Anyone know which has the best sound?

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&token=&sql=10:dem1z8ba8yvj

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.