Mini Disc deck's MXD-D400 vs JA333ES

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TommyTunes, Mar 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member Thread Starter

I realize that this is a long shot but I have a MXD-D400 and I'm thinking of upgrading to the JA333ES a Japan only unit. The JA333ES appears to be a MD equivalent of the SCD-777ES in terms of build quality. I'm looking to get the best out of my Prerecorded MD's along with getting the best sound in SP mode for new recordings. Has anybody compared the two units? What bothers me is that the MXD-D400 has ATRAC Type-S and the JA333ES uses Type-R which is the older scheme. Both seem to use 24bit ADC converters and the specs are similar. I feed the digital output of the MXD-D400 to a MSB Platinum Plus for DAC conversion so I'm wondering if the playback sound will be that much better? Has anyone done a head to head on both units? Any feedback on the JA333ES would be appreciated since I will have to order it without actually seeing one.

2. ybe

ybe The Lawnmower Man

Type-R and Type-S are identical in the SP mode. Type-S has a new codec (ATRAC3) for the LP2 and LP4 modes.

3. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

The 'JA333ES was sold in the U.S. when it was first released. Are you absolutely sure that it is unavailable in the U.S. now? Have you contacted reputable Sony ES dealers such as J&R Music World or Oade Bros.? The guys at Oade Bros. are very helpful and may be able to special-order one for you. Also try OneCall.

In any event, the 'JA333ES should be a significant step up over the 'D400. I have the MXD-D3, an earlier Sony CD player/MD deck, and while it's a decent-sounding unit, the Sony MDS-JB930 that I have in the same system is better. The 'JA333ES definitely beats the 'JB930. Anyway, I only use the 'D3 for dubbing directly from CD to MD. I doubt seriously that the 'D400 is any better than the 'D3.

The 'JA333ES is a great machine based on all the reviews I read a few years ago. Most reviewers had it just behind the the 'JA555ES that preceded it. The 'JA555ES is generally regarded as the best MD deck Sony ever made. Perhaps the 'JA333ES is second-best. I bought a 'JA555ES brand new in 2001, but the drawer died after six months. Sony was never able to fix it properly. Hopefully that was a fluke and you wouldn't have the same problem with the 'JA333ES.

I loved the 'JA555ES, and I wish that Sony made quality ES MD decks readily available. If the 'JA333ES were more affordable and were readily available, I'd consider getting one.

4. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback Keith, I give Oade a call.

5. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

No problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.