Minimum tube wattage to ddrive Alon model 1 speakers (87db) 100 watts max lower 8 ohm speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by honestabe316, Sep 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. honestabe316

honestabe316 Analog Rebel Thread Starter

I am about to enter the tube world....I've looked at integrateds and seperates......my speakers are Alon m9del 1's rates at 100 watts @ 8 ohms......I have a small listening room (bedroom) and I don't blast my music as I own a condo and have neighbors......I want to still retain the dynamic slam (punch) that my 100 watt Proton D1200 SS amp delivers but with tubes.....I've been scoping out the rogue audio Cronys Magnum 2 with 100 watts.....but I don't want overkill either.......I may hook up my klipsh quartets at times as well but they are a much higher efficiency speaker.....I want to drive my Alons effectively...that is my goal....my budget is 2-2.5K.......used or new .....any input would be great

2. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

At audio shows, Carl Marchisotto almost always ran his Alons (now Nola) with Audio Research amps, and the 75SE in particular was a terrific match for the big Nolas. A used 75 would be twice your budget, so that particular brand would not be possible. But I would aim for a valve amp with an output around 60w to 75w.

ZenMango likes this.
  3. honestabe316

4. honestabe316

Thatsgives me a little more flexibility in what I can look at...so far the rogue audio cronus magnum 2 has been at the forefront due to its power (100 wpc) but knowing that I can step it down a bit is good....thanks for the info

5. Helom

Helom Forum member

40 watts/ch should be plenty for those speakers in your particular room (assuming it's not a massive bedroom).

6. honestabe316

Its your tin of the mill condo bedroom....maybe 12× 20×7.......I have neighbors so I never go more than say 4/10 volume....maybe less.....I play classic rock.....and jazz 50's's and 60's.....coltrane, evans, davis, roach etc.......no real heavy metal....maybe Sabbath acdc and zep.......I like it loud but not chest thumping loud

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.