Misheard lyrics that are better than the actual lyrics

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dbone828, Nov 4, 2016.

1. dbone828

dbone828 Only Visiting This Planet Thread Starter

Are there any misheard lyrics that you actually like better than the actual lyrics to songs?

For me, I used to think that the opening line of the Monkees' Goffin-King-penned hit "Pleasant Valley Sunday" went "The local rock group down the street is trying hard to learn this song." I was rather disappointed when I realized that the actual lyrics were "...trying hard to learn their song."

2. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

"Little T & A" - I originally thought Keith was referencing rough sex, i.e., her tits and ass are sore baby! In actuality the lyric was the vanilla "tits and ass with soul."

3. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

4. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Re: Pleasant Valley Sunday. I thought it was THIS song until just now! I still think it's the better lyric.

5. dbone828

dbone828 Only Visiting This Planet Thread Starter

MikaelaArsenault and RayS like this.
  6. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

It's really not better is it?

Mine is the Beach Boys lyric : if everybody had a ocean, which I always thought was ...if everybody had a notion....

I think that's better don't you? It's just a little more existential, shall we say.

I thought I was the only one who heard it that way, but Dave March did too and wrote about it. I'm still claiming it as original though. :agree:

In Tangled up in Blue, I think that split up on a dark sad night is not as good as split up on the docks that night. I prefer the location rather than the circumstance.

7. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Well it's more transgressive and fits the image they were trying to put across with album titles like Black & Blue and Tattoo You. But overall, I agree that the message isn't a positive one. But we're talking about the Stones who've reveled in their outlaw status and provoking outrage.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Pearl Jam's "Alive":

Eddie sang "I-eee, blurrrgh! I'm still alive!"

For years, I thought he sang "I-eee heard I'm still alive". Only found out it was "blurrgh" when I played "Rock Band" and saw the lyrics onscreen.

"Heard" works better than "blurrgh"!

9. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

That's a great one - it works both ways - a notion, an ocean.

ARK and Lewisboogie like this.
  10. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

I can only submit a couple that I think are funny.

When I first heard 'Elected' by Alice, I thought he was saying 'I wanna be your lady.'

My wife used to think the line in 'Big Yellow Taxi' was 'The day federal guys put up a parking lot.'

11. zeuhl

zeuhl Forum Resident

Paranoid-
    And so as you hear these words telling you now of my state
    I tell you to end your life I wish I could caladulate

Wondered from age 13-18 what the hell caladulate was. Never knew it said 'enjoy' instead of 'end your' until last year :sigh:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  12. zeuhl

zeuhl Forum Resident

Ne'er believe Rock Band: "Oh I-I, woah- oh I'm still alive..." is what he's actually saying. You're right though, heard is better than blurgggh ;-)

13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I wasn't directly quoting "Rock Band" - "blurgggh" was my approximation of the "real lyrics"! ;)

14. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

The first line of Seven Witches' "Metal Tyrant" goes "He decapitates the night, resilient power, burning bright..."

...which I always hear as "...Brazilian power, burning bright," which is definitely a better lyric because it's funnier... :D

15. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

Billy rapped all night 'bout his suicide
    How he can't get any head when he was 25

16. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

Don't you mean "I'm so unparalyzed"? (that's what I thought it was and I think it is better)

Cliff Richard "Carrie had a date with a rock band of eight"-Carrie

Weezer "In the garage/I feel safe/No one cares about my weight"-In The Garage

Offspring "You know you can always go on and get laid"-Pretty Fly For A White Guy

Modern Lovers "Like at church she sits with another man"-She Cracked

Doobie Brothers "I'd like to hear some funky Styx and Manfred"-Black Water

And my personal favorite from Stevie Wonder's Sir Duke
    "And the bassy man he got to go and there came along Sir Duke/And with a voice like Dallas ringing out there's no way the band could lose".
    Well OK, that's not actually better-but it is weirder!!!!

MikaelaArsenault and zeuhl like this.
  17. Thwacko

Thwacko Forum Resident

My wife is convinced "travesty, it was my way" is better than "try to see it once my way" in "Would" by Alice in Chains.

I recently found out the line in Frank Black's "Los Angeles" is "sailing and shoring" and not "selling insurance", and I was a little disappointed.

Woozoom939, vonwegen and Suncola like this.
  18. zeuhl

zeuhl Forum Resident

Alice Cooper
    no more, Mr. Nice Guy, no more Mr. Klee (ee-ee-ee)
    no more, Mr. Nice Guy, he's sick, he's a seed (ee-ee-eed)

I think the 'bad seed' image was working here in my 12 yr old brain. Thought this was the lyric for more than a few years :sigh:

jpgeesaman likes this.
  19. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

I always thought the line from Watchtower that turned out to be "plough men dig my earth" was "Come and dig my herb"

20. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

"..............excuse me while I kiss this guy"

21. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I don't know if it makes it better - and I knew it wasn't the actual lyric because I'd heard the song many times before - but I listened to Cyndi Lauper's version of "I Drove All Night" once and it sounded like she was singing:

I drove all night
    Crapped in your room

And now I can never hear the correct lyric (crept) when the song plays, and it always cracks me up.

I guess all the gas stations were closed or something. When ya gotta go...

22. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

I always thought the lyric was"and only love can congregate" which if I do say so is a brilliant lyric.
    Marvin Gaye's What's Going On "only love can conquer hate"

23. barnaby

barnaby Forum Resident

That sure would wake him from his sleep.

24. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

Lol I always thought it was "No More Mr. Clean (ee ee ee)" :p

Speaking of which on that same album, the opener "Hello Horray" I had always though the lyric was "Ready is this audience, who's caught up in a dream", which "Caught in a Dream" was a track from their album Love It to Death and I thought it tied in to that song. But nope, that's not the lyric :sigh:

On Judas Priest's "Exciter" I always heard "Stand up for Exciter" not "Stand by for Exciter". I thought the former was cooler.

Megadeth "Take No Prisoners" where Dave Mustaine says "War is peace, sure man" I hear "War is peace, you're a man" I prefer my version!

On UFO's "I'm a Loser", I actually kind of already knew he said "Euston Station" but I like to pretend he says "Houston Station" because... well, look at my profile :)

All of the websites for lyrics that I see on Diamond Head's "Am I Evil" claim the lyrics say "like a double dozen before you", but I am convinced that the lyrics are "like a devil dancing before you". Not a lot of info on this song, but I'm 99% sure it's "devil dancing".

MikaelaArsenault and zeuhl like this.
  25. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

But would it put him in the mood?