Mispressed album

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Charles Williams, Jan 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charles Williams

Charles Williams New Member Thread Starter

I have a Capital re-released double album of All Summer Long by The Beach Boys where the second album has the first side on both sides. Does it have value?

2. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Sure. But it's very little value - and almost certainly less than a correct standard issue copy. Manufacturing errors almost always detract from value.

3. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

It's a defective consumer product, which holds less value than a non-defective one. Errors on stamps and coins are worth more because it's the government making them and the process is tightly controlled. Somebody at the plant which pressed your record just had a case of the Fridays.

4. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

I always like hanging onto records like this. They are by their very nature unique. Most of the time it's because the labels get reversed, with the Side A label on the B side of the vinyl and visa versa.

Because I put all of my LPs in plastic outer sleeves, I'll attach a sticker to the plastic sleeve indicating the error. If I don't, I'll usually forget the album in defective and be confused as snot when I pull it out again a decade later.

Agreed, these mistaken pressings aren't worth anything unless they add more value. I have a Eric Clapton mis-press that I assume it worth more than the original but then, it has different tracks. The unreleased tunes would add value although I'm realistic. The extra value of this record would be only a few bucks, not hundreds or even tens of dollars.

5. marcb

marcb Senior Member

There is a huge difference between a simple manfacturing error and an error that results in an otherwise unavailable version of an album - like using a metal plate not intended for production that includes an unreleased song or mix or track order.

There's a somewhat fine line here - and an "error" with a Beatles UK Parlophone album might have additional value whereas the same error with a Sergio Mendez & Brazil 66 will have the opposite effect.

An example of this might the various spelling errors or publishing credit errors on Beatles UK LPs - most of them have increased value. But on a Sergio Mendez LP? Crickets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.