Doctor Who Episodes - Official News from The BBC*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by TheLazenby, Jun 18, 2013.

1. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

Any more news on the found 'missing' episodes ?

Sure has been quiet since the two Troughton shows were issued.

2. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam Thread Starter

The general opinion is that Philip Morris found most if not all, and is holding them "hostage" (for lack of a better word) for reasons hitherto unknown.

Even the head of the Restoration Team strongly believes that he at LEAST has 'Marco Polo', but has not handed it over.

3. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

How ridiculous !
    I'm not getting older, neither are the old Doctor Who fans.
    It's like waiting for Collingwood Football Club to win its next AFL Grand Final.

Baby Driver likes this.
  4. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I wish I could say the same! :)

ranasakawa and SonOfAlerik like this.
  5. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

There are several theories that have been tossed around over the past year or so:
    • Phil has found more episodes and is holding them hostage, with excessive demands in order to hand them over.
    • Phil has found more, but is still continuing his search, hoping to find the rest before a recovery is revealed.
    • Phil has found more, but they are part of a larger recovery of missing television episodes and that he wants to make a package sale of all of the recoveries.
    • Phil has only found Marco Polo in addition to the episodes already returned. The story was held back for some reason last year, but may be released in the future.
    • Phil has located more missing episodes, but is having trouble securing them for return to the UK.
    • Phil has found nothing else.
    For what it's worth, Phil has dropped hints since October 2013 that more episodes have been recovered and that good times are ahead. But he has never actually said that he has recovered any more. If he truly has not found any more episodes, he really has been teasing us with expectations that suggest the opposite.

At this point, it's just a game of wait-and-see. The best thing to do is to expect nothing and be pleasantly surprised if something else is announced as having been returned.

chilinvilin and ranasakawa like this.
  6. TheLazenby

Just an update...

There is *VERY* strong speculation that "The Underwater Menace" episodes 1 and 4 are going to be unveiled soon. As some of you will know, the DVD (with animated episodes) was cancelled a few months ago - they've suddenly announced its release again, and interestingly, Philip Morris is being booked for personal appearances around that time.

The fact that the BBC has never used telesnap reconstructions to fill out a partially-missing story on DVD, and the animation process was cancelled, has left a LOT of people wondering.

tkl7 likes this.
  7. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Web Of Fear?

8. TheLazenby

Argh - I didn't realize that! (Neither did anyone on the forum I've been reading, apparently. XD)

Even still, the sudden activity surrounding Philip and his recent 'expect the unexpected' post points to something positive.

9. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Which forum?

10. TheLazenby

Gallifrey Base.

11. I'm a bit confused here. Since these were originally sent out by the BBCwouldnt they retain ownership of the episodes? I could see Morris getting a finders fee...

12. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

The BBC retains ownership of the copyright for the episodes. And while it is arguable they may also retain ownership of the films (even though they usually specified that they were to be destroyed), they have historically allowed the finders to keep the 16mm reels as long as they can make copies of the materials on them.

In the past, the BBC was not willing to pay for the return of materials that they owned...lest anyone tried to hold them hostage and demand unreasonable sums of money. But with an episode hunter like Phil Morris investing a lot of his own time and money into recovering lost episodes, one may speculate that some sort of compensation has been negotiated for their return.

I don't know how optimistic I am about The Underwater Menace containing newly found Episodes 1 and 4. I think the most likely scenario is that the DVD will contain reconstructions that use telesnaps and on-set photos. But I am willing to be pleasantly surprised...

Shawn and davenav like this.
  13. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Likewise, I'm hoping this is a break in the Dr. who missing episode saga. And Morris's Panopticon appearance is interestingly timed, indeed.

Still, if it's just recons for episodes 1 & 4 of UWM, I'll still be happily getting it. There's no such thing as a mediocre Doctor Who Troughton story (aside from Space Pirates, of course!)

Shawn likes this.
  14. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

ditto- can't wait for details, but psyched to get it regardless.

15. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Please keep the updates coming soon!

16. TheLazenby

Yeah.... they've put out details about everything else on the DVD, but any and all information about episodes 1 and 4 will be revealed "in the coming weeks."

17. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

No details about the contents of the DVD has come from "official" sources (aka BBC Worldwide). The partial details you have probably seen are those from Anneke Wills' website, but those details didn't come from official sources.

If anything, it appears the DVD released was placed on the BBC Shop and Amazon a bit earlier than planned...and the official announcement of the DVD (and its content) hasn't been prepared yet. While it's tempting to hope for more missing episodes to be revealed, one should not set their expectations too high.

18. pcain

pcain Forum Resident

I'll be happy to get Underwater Menace episode 2, plus the commentaries and extras when this comes out. I am keeping my fingers crossed that Episodes 1 & 4 have been found! If they haven't, that'll be a bummer, but it'll still be great to have ep 2 released at last. I can't even count how many times I've watched Underwater Menace episode 3 — I love the trippy fish people! Any new finds from the Ben & Polly era would be awesome! After all of the back and forth on whether Underwater Menace would get a stand alone release, I can't help but wonder if a return of eps 1 & 4 is what finally prompted the BBC to schedule a release of the DVD. Fingers crossed! This doesn't feel like waiting for a disc release, it feels like waiting to see if I've won the lottery. The extras that Dan Hall/ 2|entertain created for most of the classic Dr. Who DVD range put all other TV show discs to shame. With or without recovered eps 1 & 4, it'll be nice to have (probably) one last release loaded with extras.

Now, if only they'd announce that they've found Power of the Daleks... Ha!

19. Personally the only currently missing episodes I am "dying" to see are "Marco Polo" and "The Highlanders". Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see anything be recovered and released, but those are the two stories I'd like to see the most!

20. TheLazenby

Well, as Philip said recently, "Expect the unexpected."

Given the various stories of secret POTD screenings over the last couple years, perhaps that's in the future? Who knows.

21. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

The only thing unexpected now is that he doesn't have any more.

22. This is off-topic for Doctor Who but is very much on-topic for this thread, really. I saw it this morning, although it is from December 2014. I'd like to see more, especially that "Vendetta" show they show a clip from. It looks pretty good so far.

goodiesguy and Jason W like this.
  23. Thrillsville

Thrillsville Forum Resident

Reported on doctorwhonews.net

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2015/09/whatever-happened-to-web-of-fear-3.html

In part:
    However, speaking at the Pandorica 2015 convention, being held in Bristol this weekend, Philip Morris announced that when he initially located the episodes, episode 3 was indeed part of the collection.

The negotiations for the return of the episodes took over six months, and when the episodes were finally returned to the UK, episode three had vanished. Morris said he believed that after word of the find leaked out an offer was made to a member of staff at the Nigerian station, and that the episode had been sold to a private collector.

Disgusting!

24. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

And he will either hoard it or offer it for sale at a ridiculous price so high that it will prevent any possible release.

25. Thrillsville

Thrillsville Forum Resident

The story of the missing episode The Web Of Fear Episode 3 fleshed out with more details:

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2015/09/more-details-about-discovery-and-loss.html

Also, no Underwater Menace DVD release for North America yet? The story says the UK is getting a release October 26. Please, release it in North America! It's the probably going to be the last one with commentaries and bonus features!