Doctor Who Episodes - Official News from The BBC*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by TheLazenby, Jun 18, 2013.

1. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

I don't think Big Finish is involved w/ "SHADA" coming in December 2017, it would be great to include the Ian Levine (Fan edit), but it doesn't appear the BBC is that complete with Special Features material going forward.

beccabear67 likes this.
  2. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

I think every official animation has been from a different company. Which basically means they've all been annoying in different ways. In theory, I'd rather have a good animation to a telesnap reconstuction, but they're all so distracting.

dbsea and longdist01 like this.
  3. Just my luck - WYCC auctioned off its broadcast spectrum and is no more as of 10/25/17. Well it was good while it lasted.

longdist01 likes this.
  4. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

A very nice Blu-Ray package for:

[​IMG]
    I like this over "steelbook" design, the feature is not episodes, but one complete 138 min. program. I thank the BBC for including much of the original cast for voice-overs with animated portions.
    I hope 2018 encourages BBC to explore more missing or Lost "Classic" episodes to be revisited and released on physical media in coming years.

davenav and dbsea like this.
  5. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Amazon.uk are listing a Remastered "Special Edition" release of the Patrick Troughton story "Enemy Of The State" March 19, 2018 and this a PAL DVD only, perhaps by 2019 a Region 1 release of this version will arrive?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079MQBNB7?tag=vigukb-5-21

Blimpboy and dbsea like this.
  6. Blimpboy

Blimpboy Forum Resident

Nice to see a special edition of "Enemy Of The World" I was disappointed in the bare bones approach on the first DVD.

longdist01 likes this.
  7. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

I don't mind the old Doctor Who and always pick up the old DVD's when I find them cheap.

I guess my only issue is people always are so focused on this series instead of all the other exciting series and shows that are recovered and found. I was personally much more interested in the fantastic recoveries from the Bob Monkhouse archive for instance.

longdist01 and MarkTheShark like this.
  8. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Bob Monkhouse had adopted an early Archive at his residence and had forethought to own at minimum 19 televisions with audio & video recording capabilities to save an enormous amount of material.

Can you imagine if Johnny Carson did this even at home for his early Tonight Shows, but of course he believed it was saved automatically by NBC Networks, then frustrated and saddened most was wiped and lost.

goodiesguy likes this.
  9. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Even more amazing is for example, in the late 60's he became the host of Sunday Night At The London Palladium, not one of those programmes survived in ATV's archive (not counting the surviving kinescopes pre-Monkhouse), yet Bob's archive had (I believe) almost all of them taped on an early Sony Reel-To-Reel Video machine.

longdist01 likes this.
  10. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

fsutall, Crimson Witch and Blimpboy like this.
  11. Thrillsville

Thrillsville Forum Resident

Small article about Graham Strong giving his recordings to Mark Ayres for archiving.

Doctor Who News: Doctor Who Audio Recordings Archived

Also found this, a small (quite good) primer on missing footage with Graham Strong and his set up:

Graham Strong | The Doctor Who Mind Robber

For more information there's the really good documentary "Love Off Air" on The Invasion DVD.

Just want to say thank you to Mr. Strong (and others) for his (their) diligence. Through the DVDs and the CD series "The Lost TV Episodes" I've been able to experience the show in as complete a way as possible.

P.S. Wow! Those "Lost TV Episodes" CD boxes from the BBC seem to be going for crazy amounts now on Amazon Canada! Glad I got them when I did!

12. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Blu-Ray? What perceivable benefit would this receive on blu-ray?

13. Lossless audio, better codecs (no DVD encoding with blocky artifacts), film inerts true high def, newer bonus material HD, upscaled picture at the authoring level, etc. Plus new bonus content created for this (and hopefully future) release.

Adding that many of the DVDs are also out of print so this will allow fans to get them at non-exorbitant costs.

longdist01, Blimpboy and bubba-ho-tep like this.
  14. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

None of the DVDs in that box are out of print. I just checked amazon.co.uk and they're all widely available. The R2 Revenge is in a box set, but so it is here.

15. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

The higher-res PAL masters (576i) are being used instead of the downscaled NTSC versions (480i) that most people in the US are familiar with.

So although folks in the UK won't see any improvement over their PAL DVDs, everyone in the US will be seeing Who in better resolution than they ever have before. It won't look high-def but it will look the best it can look.

longdist01 likes this.
  16. I don’t believe they’re all in print in R1.

longdist01 likes this.
  17. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

It's not an American release though.

18. "It's upscaled in hardware using a motion-compensated Teranex broadcast scaler. The idea of putting them onto Blu-ray as upscales to HD is a sound one. DVD compression is very lossy and blocky, so upscaling to HD and harnessing more modern codecs at high bitrates means that the episodes can be presented as near to studio quality as possible for a domestic format, plus the audio will be uncompressed rather than AC3. New and some of the older DVD extras made in HD will appear in better quality too. For other seasons where film inserts exist, these can be included in true HD.

I saw a couple of posts asking about upscaling. Theoretically it's possible to put SD material onto Blu-ray and cram on more episodes onto fewer discs. However:

* The Blu-ray Disc Association frown on this, as they want Blu-ray to be seen to mean High Definition.
    * The cost of, say, two discs in SD versus six in HD would still need to be the same, as the manufacturing costs are low compared to the clearance costs. So from a consumer point of view, six discs represents better value for money than two.
    * Putting the episodes on in HD means that the Restoration Team have control over the quality of the upscaling rather than your player or TV."

19. Yes, there is an R1 release, I’ve preordered it at Amazon.

20. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Really? I looked before I posted and again now and don't see it.

Please don't think I'm trying to be a jerk because I'm not. I need the Region A set myself.

21. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

I was hoping the "Enemy of the World" SE DVD coming out in UK on March 19th would be a Steelbook DVD/Blu-Ray offering w/ Region Free mode. The DVD will be PAL format only....

The "Power of the Daleks" released last year was Region Free bundle.

22. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

A ha. It's being sold (or at least temporarily marketed) in America as his 'first' season as opposed to season 12 in the UK. No wonder I couldn't find it.

23. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Now what is that image in one of the customer reviews on the US amazon page? bootleg or future release?

24. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

This sucks. I just completed my Doctor Who classic series collection and now they're being released on Blu-ray? :realmad: