Missing some...Sparkle? Air? Need advice.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by merlperl, May 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. merlperl

merlperl Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello everyone!

I am starting to feel that something is lacking in my system, mostly on the high frequencies. The bass and mid range are exquisite, but I feel like there should be more high end “sparkle”.

The system is as follows:

Rega RP-6 with Ortofon 2M black (580 hours of play time)

Lehmann Audio Black Cube SE2 phono pre-amp

Lector CDP 0.6 CD Player

Cary SLI-80 with F1 upgrades: Current Signal Tubes NOS Telefunken 6922, NOS Tung Sol 6SN7 Phase inverter tubes, NOS RCA 5U4, Current issue Gold Lion KT-88 power tubes

I have been rolling the signal (6922) tubes among the Telefunkens, Some NOS Amperex, and some new issue cryo treated Gold Lion 6922.

Sonus Faber Olympica III Speakers

Sumiko S.9 sub

Although I do think at some point I was amazed by the treble region on my system, for some reason lately I seem to be missing something in the high region. I suspect it is the amp and I have rolled the signal tubes often, to the point that I believe I have worn the pin sockets…

Imaging is great, sound stage and everything else seems terrific.

Does anyone here know enough about the gear I have that could perhaps comment on the synergy of the components…maybe that is an issue? Or should I continue to roll tubes? Maybe roll the 6SN7 or the power tubes (I have some 6550s). Or even the rectifiers?

Or maybe I just have been playing less dynamic recordings from my collection and need to play some of my audiophile stuff. Maybe there’s wax in my ears! Maybe it sounds amazing and I am just accustomed to it?? Maybe someone that lives near me (Sherman Oaks, CA) can come by and listen, and offer opinions or advice?

So many options…frustrating!

2. George P

George P Notable Member

The IBE CD by Ayre Acoustics has a track (track 7) that I play on low level. It restores the sparkle you speak of. It also improves focus and clarity.

IBE Disc | Ayre

3. merlperl

Not sure if it’s snake oil or not but for $20 I’m in! Ordered one. Thanks

George P likes this.
  4. Helom

Helom Forum member

I haven't heard those specific models, but Sonus Faber tends to produce speakers with a polite top end. Maybe you should try some super tweeters:
    How I Transformed My Home Listening Experience

Your amp also has a rep for being polite/warm. If you want to go the tube-rolling route, Andy at Vintage Tube Services is the guy to consult for how to spice up the top end. He'd very good about categorizing tubes according to tonal balance.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    bhazen and SandAndGlass like this.
  5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Hmmm, "starting to feel something lacking", eh...? Lemme just throw this out there...
    [​IMG]

6. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

There's a reason why these were invented.

[​IMG]

7. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

I know that you SLI-80 does not have tone controls. I faced a different issue that was resolved with the addition of Schitt Loki, which is reasonably priced ($149). So, that's one approach. In truth, replacing the speakers that I was using at the time mitigated the problem without the need for tone control/equalizer (which is another approach, I suppose). Lastly, if you like the idea of having a stash of 6922's to draw from, you might investigate a pair of Russian/Soviet 6H23's (assuming they are approved for use in the Cary). I wish I could tell you the brand name-- mine have a rocket on them (Voshod, maybe?)-- but I have used a couple of different iterations over the years and found they added a sparkle in my applications. Midrange was not stellar but then it was not the same amp as yours.

The Pinhead likes this.
  8. merlperl

Right, no tone controls on the Carey. Also not going to replace the speakers as they are less than six months old. Everything sounded stunning to me for a while. And it still doesn’t sound BAD in fact many people would be pretty impressed if they heard the system. It’s a subtle thing and perhaps I just need to freshen tubes.

9. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

Have you by any chance re-arranged your furniture or made any other changes over the past x weeks or months that might impact the acoustics in the room?

sturgus likes this.
  10. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I'm definitely a bit out of my element here, but I think more tube rolling will eventually solve this. You've been happy in the past, so that says a lot to me. I have absolutely no idea if you can damage tube pins or sockets to the point that this would impact only the high end - seems like damage like that would necessarily affect the overall sound and output.

11. Mad shadows

Mad shadows Forum Resident

If it's a minor thing I would try different ways of decoupling (spikes, rubber etc), cables and speaker placement. Fine tuning is often the difference between a nice sounding system and a stellar one.

12. merlperl

Actually yes we have! And now part of the couch is significantly closer to one of the speakers. Bet that’s a factor! Thanks for that input

SirMarc, Tim S and Subagent like this.
  13. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

Could be interesting to switch out your audiophile interconnects one by one for a basic interconnect. Just to identify if one of these could be the culprit. An otherwise fine audiophile grade interconnect that was designed to be 'relaxed' sounding, may be a bad match in a system that is already on the warm side (which is your speakers' reputation).

avanti1960 likes this.
  14. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Does your CD player have more S & A?

15. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

How thick is your Herbies mat and are you using spacers to raise the Rega tonearm height?

16. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

tubed CDP....tubed amp.....SF Olympica III speakers. You said the speakers are new? They need to be a bit more lively? Lively tubes may give more extension......Ohno cast copper or silver cables may help....also lively power cords on amps may help as well.

17. merlperl

Herbies Mat is 2 mm I think. And yes spacers on the tonearm 4mm and was set up by a trusted high end shop. Don’t think that’s the issue

18. merlperl

Have any recommendation for lively tubes?

19. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

A few suggestions.

1. Have you tried playing with the loading settings on your phono preamp? The BCSEII has quite a few to choose from, IIRC. Using the next higher setting might just be all you need.

2. What is your VTF set to? A lighter one would likely give you a lighter/airier sound so I'd suggest noting the current VTF and using a lighter (recommended) setting. If you don't like it, set it back to what it was.

3. Quick question ; do you find you have the same issue with the high-end regardless of whether you play CDs or LPs? If so, you could get 6SN7s with an airier sound signature. Sylvania Chrome Tops would be a cheap way to test this out.

4. After looking at your speakers, even though they have a nominal impedence rating of 4 ohms, I'd suggest trying the 8 ohms tap to see whether they'll sound livelier. Measurements from Hi-Fi News suggest the 4 ohms rating isn't necessarily set in stone.

All but #3 are free adjustments so try them out.

20. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Would you consider having your hearing tested?

cleandan, Shawn, jtw and 1 other person like this.
  21. merlperl

Well I do have tinnitus. And it’s getting noisier.

Maybe I need a second opinion. Anyone live near me?

bhazen likes this.
  22. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Don't you have another amp you could try? The Black Cube with that ortofon should have all the switches in the off position. Tinnitus is not always attached to the loss of the higher frequencies but you could have a test that will provide you with a chart of your frequency response :D seriously.

23. Tom Littlefield

Tom Littlefield Forum Resident

Yes the movement of your couch could be "eating" your treble. Try moving it around and see what that does for your sound.

24. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

In my amp I've used a combination of Amperage and German Valvo which are lively with warm Russian tubes. In the preamp I use a combination of lively Tungsram or Telefunkin and the warmer Gold Lion or Ten Kobe tubes.. These tubes together with a combination of Ohno cast copper and silver interconnect and speaker cable as well as power cords give me a very dynamic full bodied sound. Ohno cast copper normally will give a full body with nice resolution..higher notes seem to hang a little longer, and a good silver in the mix down stream can help if you need more high end extension. If going for a silver cable, make sure it of a great quality. You may have to experiment with several combinations of these types of accessories in your rig before you finally hit the sound you need, but once you get if right, you may not have to do it again for a good while....besides some audiophiles like the tinkering part of the hobby....I know I do.

25. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Before you do anything else (like spend money), why not move the couch and see how things sound then? You agreed above that a recent couch move likely is making an impact, as it's now much closer to one of your speakers. This seems like the logical first step.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.