Mission 737R Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Norsemandave, Aug 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Norsemandave

Norsemandave Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just been given a pair of these Mk11’s in Black mid 1980’s, guy was going to throw them out.

Just plugged them in and nothing wrong with them apart from needing a good clean, the grills are a bit tatty around the edges.

Lovely and clear but maybe a bit on the bright side.

timind, Manimal and GroovyVinylDood like this.
  2. GroovyVinylDood

GroovyVinylDood Forum Resident

I own a pair of these that have been re-foamed and recapped. I use them when listening to some classic rock on vinyl. They are indeed bright which is why I really only use them for select listening.

The grills are notorious for coming loose around the edges. Mine did and I fixed them without much effort. Did yours come with the stands that were sold with them?

3. Norsemandave

Hi Groovy thanks for your reply,

No unfortunately, the guy called them floor standing speakers, were the stands included or optional ?

Sat on the floor listening to them so nearer to ear hight.
    Think I’ll use them in the spare room which is quite small can replace an old pair of Sony speakers that came as a tower set up many years ago on our voyage into Hifi.

4. GroovyVinylDood

GroovyVinylDood Forum Resident

The stands were optional. They screwed onto the bottom of the 737's and when installed the speakers and the stands look like one piece. Hope you enjoy the 737's!

Norsemandave likes this.
  5. Norsemandave

Had them running all afternoon with a mix of rock music, turned the sub on which gives them a bit more depth, but not sure if the sound better or not.

Yeah I saw the mounting points, 3 of them on each speaker.

GroovyVinylDood likes this.
  6. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Pics?

timind likes this.
  7. Norsemandave

Will post some at the weekend :)

Manimal likes this.
  8. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

We love pics around here:)

9. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

A bit on the bright side! I still remember being stuck in a dealers listening room with those Missions being powered their Cyrus One amp, sharp.

10. demort71

demort71 Active Member

I have owned a pair of 737Rs for a couple of years. I like them and listen to them the most of all the speakers I own. I don't consider myself to be an electronics expert or audiophile. I run all vintage equipment and primarily listen to vinyl. On the system that the 737s are on, I play a Technics SL-1401 turntable and alternate between the 100 vintage cartridges I have. Shure and Stanton are my personal favorite carts. The receiver I have these paired with is a Sony STR 6800-SD. It works for my ears and is/was an excellent vintage receiver, overlooked by most U.S. audiophiles in the mid 1970s. The Sony was pretty pricey then too. I listen to this system at lower volumes and have the speakers set up in a small room on stands at ear level. Some say they are a little bright and maybe they are, but it depends on the recording and the phono cart. The definition is really nice, better than some of the other speakers I have. This model was made 1984-85 and no doubt were pricey for that time for a bookshelf. My 737Rs were purchased new by a lawyer who played them for a couple of years and put them in storage after he bought a pair of Bose 901s. The 901s are quite a different animal than the 737s. At any rate I enjoy these and recommend them. They are a rare bookshelf speaker. Definitely mount or position them at ear level for the most listening enjoyment. IMO they are a superior speaker compared to a lot of cheaper models that were mass produced in the last 30 years, such as JBL and Infinity consumer models. They are better than the Polk models made in the late 70 to early 80s, such as the 5. I have no problem listening to them all day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.