Mission: Impossible FALLOUT (2018 Tom Cruise film)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Feb 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Cruise does use a lot of wires and safety harnesses in the stunts, but that's actually him on the outside of the planes, hanging from ropes, jumping off buildings, and all that other stuff. Here's a current article from industry news source TheWrap about Cruise's penchant for doing his own stunts:

Did Tom Cruise Really Do All the Stunts in 'Mission: Impossible - Fallout'?

Everything I know is that it really is Cruise in those scenes, but he's not using any safety equipment that a stunt person wouldn't also use. In other words: he's actually there in the shot, but you don't see all the mechanisms that are keeping him alive at the moment. So the appearance is real, but the stunt is an illusion.

Me personally, I don't care if he does his own stunts or not. I only care if 1) the movie is entertaining, and 2) the stunts look real. If those two things happen, then how they do it is irrelevant.

2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I guess they're using it as a marketing product differentiator - look, no pixels, no stuntmen!

Vidiot likes this.
  3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Yes, you can make a good argument that a) it isn't necessary for Cruise to do the stunts, and b) it's yet another thing for them to promote. I would agree with Cruise that when you see him actually flying the helicopter -- and it took him 2000 hours of flight time to get his license -- it adds more than a little bit of realism to the film.

4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yep. In fact, they had to promote it because otherwise people would just assume it was done like it's normally done, with vfx and/or stand-ins, so it would seem like nothing special. If a tree falls in the forest...

5. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Saw this movie last night -- it is phenomenally good. I really can't imagine how a better action pic could be made. Which is not the same thing as saying it's the best action picture I've seen. But it is great, and technically astounding.

One unresolved question:
    So who is the fake John Lark who gets killed in the bathroom?

These two quotes pretty much sum up how I feel about Tom-Cruise-does-his-own-stunts. Before we went to see the movie, my brother said, "Tom Cruise does all his own stunts." I thought, "OK, that's interesting, and no big deal, I've heard that before." But then you see the guy not only ride the motorcycle through traffic but also fly a helicopter, apparently alone, and it is just awesome, truly.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    enro99, coffeetime and Vidiot like this.
  6. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Not understanding what the big deal is with him doing stunts. It's something he feels strongly about or he would do them. Kirk Douglas, Burt Lancaster, didn't they do their stunts? I'm sure there are plenty of others.

7. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I saw this today and really enjoyed it. I went to a 10:30 am showing, which appeared to be completely sold out!

Was it the best action film ever? Who knows? It kept me on the edge of my seat, and several times in the last half hour I was laughing and yelling at the screen at the same time, which is a good thing.

I don’t see how this is better than any other Mission Impossible film that came before, but it is equal. Any Mission Impossible film is a good time and produces the same effect, as does any recent James Bond film. I think I would lean towards preferring Bond films because something about them seems so glamorous and larger than life, but honestly enjoy both series because they keep me on the edge of my seat. I would also include the film Unstoppable as one of the more memorable action films because it meets all the same criteria: I’m on the edge of my seat, yelling at the screen!

SandAndGlass, enro99 and vzok like this.
  8. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Just read it's had a better opening weekend than ANY of it predecessors, pretty impressive "stunt"!;)

9. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Jump from one horse to another, or swing from a rope at the top of the ship's mast, and that's pretty cool, no doubt -- and I'm second to none in my appreciation of Burt Lancaster -- but please do go see this movie -- the stunts really are something else.

GentleSenator likes this.
  10. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

It is also about 20% ahead of M:I Rogue Nation in terms of international box office. M:I Rogue Nation turned out to be the highest grossing M:I movie in the series, and I think M:I Fallout will surpass it when everything is done.

By the time the next M:I movie comes around, TM will be close to 60 years old (I can't believe I just typed that :eek: )

11. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Tried to take the family to see MI:F yesterday afternoon but was sold out, so wound up booking for yesterday evening (which in turn sold out). I figured the fact the car park was rammed was down to the Mamma Mia sequel also playing. Either way, this weekend looks to have been an absolute boon for the UK box office.

As for the film? I was absolutely floored! Serious contender for best in the series (along with GP). MI must be one of the few franchises that seems to get better and better with each successive entry, rather than the more typical diminishing returns.

The bathroom fight induced collective audible wincing from the audience, and looking around the audience during the Paris chase sequence and most were sat forward in their seats in anticipation. No one talked, checked their phones or anything else,

Along with Cruise rightfully being mentioned in the same breath as Jackie Chan for his willingness to ‘do it for real’ (given the differences in time & place that their films have been made), McQuarrie looks to have have also learned that longer, unbroken takes that don’t constantly cut away from the action are crucial to making it all comprehensible. Along with MI:GP, MI:RN and Mad Max Fury Road, Fallout is how an action film should be done. The rest of the cast were all uniformly strong, the plot way better than it needed to be to hold everything together, the cinematography was wonderful. I’m honestly finding difficulty in finding anything weak, leave along wrong with the film.

Although the practice is meaningless in the digital age of zero-scarcity, I pre-ordered the film on iTunes as soon as I got home. My family and I have rarely had such a good time at the cinema and same seems to have gone for the rest of the audience.

enro99 and SBurke like this.
  12. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Tempted to watch this one, given the reviews. Does one need to watch the five preceding films first or does it stand alone?

13. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Some characters and plot points in Fallout were begun in Rogue Nation (MI 5), with some of Ethan Hunt’s team have been in previous films but I think it will work well enough as a standalone experience. Everyone and everything is explained well enough. Watching 3,4 & 5 beforehand will make certain characters and relationships more significant and familiar though.

Graham likes this.
  14. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

You will be able to figure out what came before. They pretty much tell you what you need to know regarding prior events as the film goes on.

Graham and SBurke like this.
  15. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

I went with a large group on Saturday night, and one person asked this same question. My answer: "Do you really think they would make a $200 million film in a way that would immediately eliminate three-quarters of the potential audience?" Kidding aside, I had only seen the first of the five myself, and that was when it came out, 22 years ago. The context for a few of the characters in this most recent film certainly would have been clearer had I seen the second and fifth in the series, in which those characters appear. But it's pretty small stuff -- it won't affect your ability to follow the story or enjoy the movie. Just keep the names "Lark" and "Lane" straight in your head and all will be well. :)

Graham, brownie61 and coffeetime like this.
  16. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

it's been a very long time since i watched a movie that made my palms sweat. the shots, stunts, and suspense of this really worked. tom continues to amaze me!

coffeetime likes this.
  17. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

#1 at the box office this past weekend by far ($61.5 Million).

coffeetime likes this.
  18. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I didn't see "Rogue" and it didn't phase me. It's pretty easy to guess Lane and Ethan have "a history."

coffeetime likes this.
  19. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

WHAT?!!?

I had no idea he also flew a helicopter. He IS Ethan Hunt!

coffeetime and brownie61 like this.
  20. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Will Tom Cruise ever look old?!

21. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

I saw it Saturday at a Houston AMC IMAX theater whose speakers were horribly out of balance(the surrounds were way too loud and it was distracting). Outside the very first one, I'm not a fan of the franchise and like the rest, it has some giant plot holes but it's escapist fare. I assume some of the movie was shot in IMAX because it filled the whole screen in the wide panoramic shots over Paris. And they "borrowed" some car chase scenes from The French Connection and Ronin.

22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

love Tom! gotta respect the hell out of him even if one is not a fan...always enjoy a good Tom movie...

coffeetime likes this.
  23. Michael

Is that too cool or what?

24. Michael

yes of course...there's only so long before old age creeps in no matter how hard you try to avoid it or STOP it! LOL....

25. Michael

IMO, I think it brings up the "awe" factor quite a bit...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.