Mission: Impossible FALLOUT (2018 Tom Cruise film)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Feb 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Excellent action film. I watched it at a sold out (or nearly so) showing and enjoyed every minute of it.

I had watched a couple of behind-the-scenes features on YouTube (such as the helicopter sequence and the fall in which Tom injured his ankle), so when those scenes came up I had a better appreciation of the efforts necessary to make the final product.

I find it amazing that a big star like Tom Cruise is willing to put himself at risk to such extremes in order to make the film look as realistic as possible, when he obviously didn't have to do so.

coffeetime, questrider and Ghostworld like this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

He is in certain angles. I don't know of any digital fixes that went on, but it's fair to say that all movie crews work hard at making their stars look good. But Cruise stays in good shape and looks amazing for 56.

SandAndGlass, Karnak and Simon A like this.
  3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Maybe it takes one to know what, but now he looks like most puffy 50 year olds I know. The face kinda gets softer. He looks okay and is in good physical shape, but he doesn't look like any spring chicken, anymore.

wayneklein likes this.
  4. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Has any sequel this far into a series been the highest grossing installment (not counting Star Wars)? Maybe a Harry Potter sequel? Pretty amazing stuff.
    Cruise did a thing with James Corden where they skydived together-it's pretty funny.

coffeetime likes this.
  5. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Happy to see that MI:F has done well at the box office, bears out my own and others experience of sold out showings. My 11yo son has already asked to go and see it again next weekend, I spent some of yesterday enthusing to others at work about the film and glowing reviews keep rolling in from the film reviewers I follow and whose opinions I respect. Although it is still early days, MI:F is shaping up to become a classic of the genre.

I’d only bought 3,4 & 5 on iTunes/Apple TV for rewatching at home prior to Sunday. I’ve now bought the first two to rewatch with the family; I’ve not seen either film since seeing them once each at the cinema on their respective releases.

I’m also enjoying some of the promotional material. The Vanity Fair video of Henry Cavill & Simon Pegg ‘decoding’ British slang for others is very funny (NSFW - mild swearing)

6. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

7. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Skyfall was the 23rd James Bond film and grossed the most, even taking into account inflation. Which is pretty staggering given it beat Thunderball and Goldfinger, released during the peak of 007 mania in the 1960s.

Splungeworthy likes this.
  8. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

If the Bond writers stepped out of their clever little closet and a look around at the current film-going climate, I think they'd start lightening up on the scripts. I'm seeing a real trend toward comedy throughout everything. Mayhe it's those wonderful '30s escapist cravings for song, dance, and screwball comedies coming around again with the times.

soundboy likes this.
  9. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I have to admit the lack of humor is what really turned me off of the Daniel Craig Bond movies....and I actually like Craig as Bond.

10. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Went to see this today at the AMC Disney Springs. It was playing in one of their great big theaters, and there weren't tons of people at this showing. It was an 11:30 AM matinee. Great edge-of-the-seat popcorn flick. I can understand why it's getting such great reviews. One thing that impressed me as an aficionado of the old TV series, was the amount of time that the music composer utilized the two main Lalo Schifrin MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE musical themes. (Main title theme and "The Plot"). Here are those themes as they appeared on the old TV series soundtrack.

Lalo Schifrin - The Plot

They sounded really big and thunderous in the theater.

questrider, Simon A and coffeetime like this.
  11. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Vidiot, coffeetime and brownie61 like this.
  12. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

One of the most enjoyable, daft and thrilling flicks I've seen in a long time. Loved it....

Simon A likes this.
  13. clayton

clayton Senior Member

I went to it last night and it was good, exciting action sequences, my only complaint is that they could of trimmed a bit out of it.

14. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I thought they explained it at one point - he was one of Walker/Lark's men that he had stand in for him at the meeting with the White Widow.

(Also, it didn't occur to me until later that the White Widow is supposed to be the daughter of Vanessa Redgrave's character from the first film.)

SBurke likes this.
  15. That's my thought as well. My face filled out in my 50's.

16. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

great film ! I enjoyed it !

17. Some of the Marvel films have. "Avengers Infinity War" for example. What's more important is the quality this far in a series and "Mission: Impossible", with the exception of the second film, has gotten consistently better IMHO and the first film set a pretty high bar as well. Same with the Marvel films for the most part.

Splungeworthy likes this.
  18. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

I saw this last night. I am not even a big MI fan but wow, what an action film. Some brilliant, thrilling action scenes. But also some fantastic sound editing and beautiful shots (characters are often seen walking amidst symmetrical landscapes). Rebecca Ferguson has been a wonderful addition to the series.

My only quibble is I find Henry Cavill such a dull presence onscreen. The rest of the cast was excellent but I found Cavill just... blank.

Karnak and Ghostworld like this.
  19. GeoffC

GeoffC Forum Resident

My 85 year old Dad went to see this Monday with a friend and apart from saying it was excellent his first comment was how great the sound was!

budwhite likes this.
  20. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Saying Tom Cruise "looks okay" is like saying Violante Placido "is attractive."

21. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Thank you. Some in this thread were lauding what a great actor he is. As they say, I think he makes wood look lively. I think he was about one step above Peter Lupus in this film.

John Moschella and Torontotom like this.
  22. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Thanks for posting that soundtrack. For those of us who grew up on the original Mission Impossible TV series, it just transports us back in time . . . long before the expression fake news came into the American language lexicon!

GeoffC likes this.
  23. GroovyVinylDood

GroovyVinylDood Forum Resident

I enjoy watching these types of movies to just chill out and relax. No deep plots to follow, no concentration required. I don't usually see them in theaters but once they hit Netflix I'm all over them.

coffeetime likes this.
  24. Kevin In Choconut Center

Kevin In Choconut Center Offensive Coordinator

I've seen all six of the films in the series now, all in theaters. I enjoyed watching the film and wouldn't make any major changes to it. The screening I attended was in the afternoon today and was well attended. The sound system in the theater was adequate . The only complaint I have about the whole experience is the insane length of the attached previews. The film was listed as starting at 1:50, which is when the previews started. By the time they ended and the actual film began, it was 2:17. This sort of thing has long been a pet peeve of mine, just to let you know.

25. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

Saw this yesterday...loved it! Great action, fairly clever plot. Edge of your seat fun from beginning to end.

Don't know if they'll make another one, but if not this works as a nice finale.

coffeetime likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.